Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
The City of Atlanta Proper 9 22.50%
Atlanta Suburb (but ITP) 7 17.50%
OTP North 15 37.50%
OTP South 3 7.50%
OTP East 1 2.50%
OTP West 1 2.50%
I do not live in Metro Atlanta 0 0%
I do not live in the State of Georgia 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 04:18 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times

Advertisements

As a follow-up to a long-standing C-D poll from 2012, I was just curious about the percentage of current City-Data Atlanta posters that live in the City of Atlanta in relation to those that live in the surrounding suburbs.

I tried to expand the categories without getting too specific. So if you live OTP Northwest of the city (for example), I will leave it to you to choose "OTP North" or "OTP West" based on your location.

Last edited by equinox63; 08-18-2023 at 04:26 AM..

Old 08-18-2023, 12:17 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
The region has mostly grown north. Gwinnett alone is going to surpass 1 million people this year.

I would split OTP North into 3: otp NW, OTP north, and OTP NE. I think k the results would be more interesting/even.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:51 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The region has mostly grown north. Gwinnett alone is going to surpass 1 million people this year.

I would split OTP North into 3: otp NW, OTP north, and OTP NE. I think k the results would be more interesting/even.
This is a good suggestion as the Atlanta region has experienced most of its heaviest northward growth in the post-World War II era along radial superhighway corridors like I-75/I-575 Northwest, GA-400 North, and I-85/I-985/GA-316 Northeast.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This is a good suggestion as the Atlanta region has experienced most of its heaviest northward growth in the post-World War II era along radial superhighway corridors like I-75/I-575 Northwest, GA-400 North, and I-85/I-985/GA-316 Northeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

True indeed. I just didn’t want to complicate things too much. Also, I was curious how this trend translates in the C-D Atlanta forum. Other local forums are more “city-centric” and others are even more southern suburban focused depending on the demographics of the users.

Nevertheless, in an effort to not repeatedly flood the forum with near identical threads, perhaps someone can post a northern OTP poll to disaggregate the split between Cobb, North Fulton, and Gwinnett (and further out).

Old 08-19-2023, 11:07 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Should just do ITP and OTP. Atlanta proper goes OTP

Old 08-20-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Should just do ITP and OTP. Atlanta proper goes OTP
In that case, they should choose “City of Atlanta Proper”. I think Decatur, College Park, East Point, Avondale Estates, Chamblee, Doraville, etc. make a difference — a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

I suppose that I should clarify that (in this poll) OTP also denotes outside the City of Atlanta. So the primary municipality would supersede the physical location in that situation.

Last edited by equinox63; 08-20-2023 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 07:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
I thought this forum had an OTP north bias.

There are a lot of ways to divide up Atlanta though. I think the OTP/ITP is a little dated— it used to be ITP was a weird mix of urban, industrial, and rural, and OTP was the suburbs. Now, it seems like the most popular neighborhoods are a kind of urban/suburban mixture. Maybe the better question to ask now would be "do you live within 2 miles of a Whole Foods or Sprouts?"

Old 08-20-2023, 11:32 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

There are a lot of ways to divide up Atlanta though. I think the OTP/ITP is a little dated— it used to be ITP was a weird mix of urban, industrial, and rural, and OTP was the suburbs. Now, it seems like the most popular neighborhoods are a kind of urban/suburban mixture. Maybe the better question to ask now would be "do you live within 2 miles of a Whole Foods or Sprouts?"
Your comments raise the point that this forum not only has a Northside OTP bias but has a clear bias towards the Northside as a whole (generally everything in the greater Atlanta metropolitan region that is located north of Interstate 20) that is most evident in how much Northside OTP suburban and exurban areas are very often discussed much more favorably than other parts of the Atlanta region (particularly parts of the greater Atlanta region that are located south of I-20).

In addition to asking whether Atlanta Forum posters live inside or outside of the City of Atlanta or whether Atlanta Forum posters live inside or outside of the I-285 Perimeter, another good question seemingly could be to ask whether Atlanta Forum posters live north or south of Interstate 20 in an Atlanta region where there often very much seems to be an obvious and overwhelming social bias towards the north side of the region where the most wealth and affluence exists in the region.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 08-20-2023 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-21-2023, 01:18 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

It's not so much that it's a bias, as much as OTP north is half of the region's population.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Your comments raise the point that this forum not only has a Northside OTP bias but has a clear bias towards the Northside as a whole (generally everything in the greater Atlanta metropolitan region that is located north of Interstate 20) that is most evident in how much Northside OTP suburban and exurban areas are very often discussed much more favorably than other parts of the Atlanta region (particularly parts of the greater Atlanta region that are located south of I-20).

In addition to asking whether Atlanta Forum posters live inside or outside of the City of Atlanta or whether Atlanta Forum posters live inside or outside of the I-285 Perimeter, another good question seemingly could be to ask whether Atlanta Forum posters live north or south of Interstate 20 in an Atlanta region where there often very much seems to be an obvious and overwhelming social bias towards the north side of the region where the most wealth and affluence exists in the region.
You practically took the words right out of my mouth. I was just about to make a near identical comment. To give the Northsiders a bit of grace, people generally talk about what they know — which explains why the forum is often northern OTP (even northern ITP) focused. I can speak on the eastern suburbs and Atlanta proper (both north & south of I-20) all day as I am most familiar with these areas. The other areas — not so much…

The only issue IMO is when these same individuals may disparage or dissuade posters regarding the city (and even more specifically, south of I-20 and the southern OTP crescent) with little to no first hand knowledge.

Again, I usually don’t fault these posters because it is easy to cast a positive shade on the area/community in which one lives — unless, of course, they don’t like it want to leave. But that is rarely the case. As of right now, if we looked at the total ITP responses to OTP North responses, it would be 12 to 15, which is actually a smaller gap than I thought it would be… at least for now.

However, I think one of the biggest takeaways is that there is very little representation in this forum from places like Stone Mountain, McDonough, Conyers, Douglasville, Union City, Forest Park, Peachtree City, Fairburn, Camp Creek, or even College Park and East Point, etc.

This is not to say that people (and yes, even middle-class and relatively affluent people) don’t live in these areas, it’s just that they are not present or do not post in this forum, which can somewhat skew the perception for those unfamiliar with these regions or Metro Atlanta as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta