Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 03:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I hear Alabama, the first things that come to mind are culture and sophistication.
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 10:14 PM

34 posts, read 111,100 times
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. We visited ATL a few days ago and drove all around various cities and highways to get an idea of commuting times, neighborhoods, lifestyle, etc.

In our short trip, we checked out Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Big Canoe, Dahlonega, Gainesville, Buford, Social Circle, Sandy Springs, and Buckhead.

There are certainly many pros/cons to each and, while we are still drawn towards the mountains, we are settling on Milton for the time being. Plan is to rent there for our first year and continue to familiarize ourselves with all other suburbs until we’re ready to buy.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:31 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serabit View Post
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. We visited ATL a few days ago and drove all around various cities and highways to get an idea of commuting times, neighborhoods, lifestyle, etc.

In our short trip, we checked out Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Big Canoe, Dahlonega, Gainesville, Buford, Social Circle, Sandy Springs, and Buckhead.

There are certainly many pros/cons to each and, while we are still drawn towards the mountains, we are settling on Milton for the time being. Plan is to rent there for our first year and continue to familiarize ourselves with all other suburbs until we’re ready to buy.
Milton is an excellent choice.

The schools there feature extremely high ratings and have an excellent reputation and Milton is a highly affluent community that offers direct access to numerous top notch resources for families with children.

And as a North metro Atlanta outer-suburban community that is located in the rolling foothills of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, Milton is located only minutes away from the southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge Mountains… So mountain access should not really be much of a problem when you and/or your family really wants it and/or needs it.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:34 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serabit View Post

But it sounds like you didn't even go there? Kidding.

Plan you driving accordingly. GA400 can be a nightmare. I do a reverse trip from Brookhaven to Roswell/Woodstock intersection quite a bit (King Rd and Cox Rd right next to Milton). Most of the time its OK when you avoid rush hour. Milton is a good area. Just not a lot of character in my book. Just nicer looking strip malls.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:35 AM

704 posts, read 937,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I hear Alabama, the first things that come to mind are culture and sophistication.
The pot calling the kettle black.

Those of us who grew up in N GA know quite well the effect that Deliverance had on the N GA Mountains.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 929,009 times
Milton is nice. You can also take the family to nearby Avalon in Alpharetta on weekends.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:55 AM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Blue Ridge to ATL for any length of tie will wear you, your car, and your wallet down.

I can see doing it for a few weeks, or a couple of months, while you waited for something to happen to end the commute, but otherwise its crazy.....too many miles and too much traffic.

You'd want to leave by 5am to beat the rush, then leave the office by 3:15pm to do the same. If you had flex hours, it woulc be manageable for a while.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:55 PM

11,808 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I didn't read the whole thread but I think the OP decided on Milton. Even that is a tough commute to ATL if leaving during peak hours. Whats crappy about 400 is that it can back up going both ways since Alpharetta is a job hub so there is no reverse commute along 400. Unfortunately no MARTA rail to Alpharetta makes this commute more miserable than it has to be.

As for the original topic, Blue Ridge to ATL is a big no no ... but I think that has been debated enough to the point that it's crystal clear that its a terrible idea for a commute.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:59 PM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Milton is doable, especially if you have some flexitime ability.

I did it while I was getting my MBA for 2.5 yrs. So long as I left my office by 3PM in ATL, I could be near Milton by 4PM easily...even if an accident, or other slowdown. I got to work at 7am, and didn't go out for lunch, so my boss was okay w/ it.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 19,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
I would strongly consider Cherokee County and Forsyth County in the North Atlanta exurbs -- though you'll almost certainly have to forget about those mountain views.
I disagree about "forget about the mountain views". We have some decent, distant, mountain views here in Certain parts of Cherokee, Canton and the Sixes area, has some land on hills that can get a decent view. The Schools here are all highly rated, and with the express lanes it is less than an hour commute to most of Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta