Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 07:31 AM

166 posts, read 171,278 times

Advertisements

OK so I'm trying to get a feel for Buford vs Hoschton too...

These both seem to be more...rural-ish?

Is Buford what you'd call "socially competitive"? And how does the academic competition compare to pressure cookers at places like Walton, Lambert and South Forsyth?

I don't want pressure cooker. I want very strong academics, strong opportunities and extracurricular, and strong athletics. I also want diversity, an inclusive welcoming environment. I want my kids, who will be new to the district not to feel excluded because they're new and haven't been there since they were babies. I also don't want super dense. I'd like some space, some land. I'd like a smaller town feel. But I'd also like to be close ish to stuff.

I'm hoping to learn about bullying, racism, inclusivity in the community, the Schools' commitment to a welcoming and diverse culture, and mostly not being in a Beverly Hills wanna be type environment. Above all, I want my kids, and my family, to feel safe.

Ignoring all the Schools and places I'd asked about previously- knowing what I just stated, where would you look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 07:49 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
My man, you don't wanna be way out in Hoschton. 90% of people you meet in Atlanta will go "oh...where's that?" if you say you're from Hoschton. Confederate bumper stickers will outnumber Biden several times over.

Born2Roll will probably come out with an answer ten times more productive than mine but seriously, don't move to Hoschton.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
My man, you don't wanna be way out in Hoschton. 90% of people you meet in Atlanta will go "oh...where's that?" if you say you're from Hoschton.

Born2Roll will probably come out with an answer ten times more productive than mine but seriously, don't move to Hoschton.
Lol I only said Hoschton cuz we're looking at the Mill Creek HS school cluster

Old 11-12-2023, 07:50 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
I think the main issue here is that it's going to be difficult to find a place where you can have the physical space you're looking for AND the diversity you're looking for. Most of the exurb type locations you've asked about (Bremen, Hoschton, Oconee County) are pretty white-bread, conservative areas. So, you would get the space but not the diversity (not to say that these areas are ALL white; they're not, but you understand what I'm saying). However, in areas like Buford, North Gwinnett, etc..., you're looking at more expensive real estate and more density, so you'll get less space. You're just going to have to prioritize what's MOST important to you and your family.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I think the main issue here is that it's going to be difficult to find a place where you can have the physical space you're looking for AND the diversity you're looking for. Most of the exurb type locations you've asked about (Bremen, Hoschton, Oconee County) are pretty white-bread, conservative areas. So, you would get the space but not the diversity (not to say that these areas are ALL white; they're not, but you understand what I'm saying). However, in areas like Buford, North Gwinnett, etc..., you're looking at more expensive real estate and more density, so you'll get less space. You're just going to have to prioritize what's MOST important to you and your family.
Are the Hoschton areas that serve Mill Creek HS white bread conservative too?

You're right if course re: something having to give. I suspect the tradeoff will be land.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
The reason I immediately said Fayette County is because a lot of it was developed in very low density--anything outside town limits had to be at least 1 acre if I recall. And the houses are well within OP's budget.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...14607276_zpid/

Even within Peachtree City you get at least half an acre for 75% of OP's budget:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...14608588_zpid/

It's a no brainer to me, way more spread out than Atlanta's northern suburbs, whether new or old.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:59 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Yep. Born 2 Roll, I'm sure, can give you the stats and I'm sure that it's more diverse than it was 10 years ago, but I would definitely put it solidly in the "conservative" box. My daughter played travel softball and I've spent PLENTY of time in that area going to tournaments and it's a very small-town feel. If diversity is the most important factor to you, look closer to town; Gwinnett, North Fulton, etc...

Old 11-12-2023, 08:02 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
You'll have three strikes against you moving to Atlanta; being of color, being from the North and being Catholic, so keep that in mind when you pick a neighborhood. The southern states aren't like living in Westchester County (I'm white, lived in both areas and experienced southern negativity against me). I would listen to these knowledgeable posters who know the Atlanta areas and research their suggestions.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The reason I immediately said Fayette County is because a lot of it was developed in very low density--anything outside town limits had to be at least 1 acre if I recall. And the houses are well within OP's budget.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...14607276_zpid/

Even within Peachtree City you get at least half an acre for 75% of OP's budget:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...14608588_zpid/

It's a no brainer to me, way more spread out than Atlanta's northern suburbs, whether new or old.
Totally aligned here. I've started to look closer to the southern suburbs, and Peachtree City is top of our list there.

To no one in particular: how did the northern Suburbs get to be so populous versus the south? Was it simply a function of roads and access? What has historically been the draw up north?

Old 11-12-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
You'll have three strikes against you moving to Atlanta; being of color, being from the North and being Catholic, so keep that in mind when you pick a neighborhood. The southern states aren't like living in Westchester County (I'm white, lived in both areas and experienced southern negativity against me). I would listen to these knowledgeable posters who know the Atlanta areas and research their suggestions.
I feel that. It's why I'm asking!

Where did you end up settling coming down from Westchester if you don't mind me asking and why did you choose there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta