Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2023, 07:18 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,800 times

Advertisements

Hello- Going through a divorce now, have a townhome under contract in south Forsyth county/ Cumming. We are trying to sell our house in north Cumming (still live together) but it is proving to be difficult. Just not a lot of buyers right now.
Say I lose my townhome..... options I'm looking at are Dawsonville, Flowery Branch, Canton, heck I don't know. Cumming is getting expensive, I would like to live within budget.

I was looking at Duluth, Alpharetta and Roswell... just not necessarily a fan of these areas right now between cost, crime, etc.

So that leaves the towns mentioned- Dawsonville, FB, and Canton. I would personally like to live closest to Alpharetta because it's a tech hub and I'm in the field. What do you think? Any opinions on these small towns? Again, I would prefer Cumming, it's the right size, proximity to Alpharetta and closer than the three mentioned) to Atlanta when I need, but I don't think I can find anything else in my range.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 07:56 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
It's been a long time, but I used to work in Alpharetta and live in Gainesville.

I loved sitting on my deck and watching the sunsets over Lake Lanier with the Mountains in the distance.

Just food for thought.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:42 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Crime in Roswell, Alpharetta or Duluth?

I'm very confused. Do you consider those areas dangerous?

Old 12-13-2023, 08:18 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,800 times
No I don't at all. I was having a bad day when I posted this, and listening to the wrong people. Where politics very subtly gets thrown into every conversation where that "angle" is uesd to try to distort truth.

I'd probably be still looking at those three areas first + south Cumming.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:08 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
All of the ones you mentioned are viable options. I guess firstly, I would decide if you want to live in a true suburb, or more of an exurb?

I understand proximity to Alpharetta, but how important is proximity to the city or the airport for instance? Or do you prefer a slightly more rural setting?

I mean, Alpharetta and West Roswell would be my personal first choices

Old 12-19-2023, 11:23 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hello- Going through a divorce now, have a townhome under contract in south Forsyth county/ Cumming. We are trying to sell our house in north Cumming (still live together) but it is proving to be difficult. Just not a lot of buyers right now.
Say I lose my townhome..... options I'm looking at are Dawsonville, Flowery Branch, Canton, heck I don't know. Cumming is getting expensive, I would like to live within budget.

I was looking at Duluth, Alpharetta and Roswell... just not necessarily a fan of these areas right now between cost, crime, etc.

So that leaves the towns mentioned- Dawsonville, FB, and Canton. I would personally like to live closest to Alpharetta because it's a tech hub and I'm in the field. What do you think? Any opinions on these small towns? Again, I would prefer Cumming, it's the right size, proximity to Alpharetta and closer than the three mentioned) to Atlanta when I need, but I don't think I can find anything else in my range.

Thoughts?
Thanks
High crime in these areas? Seriously? LOL

Old 12-20-2023, 07:58 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
You're not going to like the answer, but this goes beyond there 'not being buyer's right now.' You likely need to consider reducing your price.

There are buyers right now, demand is pint up, and housing supply on the market is still low. That area is generally a sought out area.

Yes, high mortgage prices are keeping some people from buying right now, but so are high housing prices in general. These same two things are keeping existing homebuyers from leaving/trading up adding to supply as well.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:01 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
High crime in these areas? Seriously? LOL
Agreed,

What happens is Alpharetta and Duluth are areas with job centers and more shopping centers per capita.

Exurban areas are primarily bedroom communities only.

What happens is the crime rate is slightly higher, but it is crime happening in the commercial areas and job centers raising the rates. It has no impact on how likely the homeowners in the area would likely be the victim of a crime.

This is because an over simplified way people look at any analyze crime. It is even worse when people only look at stats for cities that don't include unincorporated areas, as the formal cities typically have higher levels of commercial properties.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:48 AM

410 posts, read 360,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
You're not going to like the answer, but this goes beyond there 'not being buyer's right now.' You likely need to consider reducing your price.

There are buyers right now, demand is pint up, and housing supply on the market is still low. That area is generally a sought out area.

Yes, high mortgage prices are keeping some people from buying right now, but so are high housing prices in general. These same two things are keeping existing homebuyers from leaving/trading up adding to supply as well.
yeah....I agree with this. Lots of buyers. I'm looking in the safe/good parts of VaHi now and if a listing were to come out there that either had teardown potential or was on one of the better streets in the safer part of VaHi and was a turn key house that looked great, had curb appeal, and was priced good.....it would sell within 24 hrs with > 6 offers. So there are definately buyers for good properties priced right.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:57 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
yeah....I agree with this. Lots of buyers. I'm looking in the safe/good parts of VaHi now and if a listing were to come out there that either had teardown potential or was on one of the better streets in the safer part of VaHi and was a turn key house that looked great, had curb appeal, and was priced good.....it would sell within 24 hrs with > 6 offers. So there are definately buyers for good properties priced right.
While there are incidents of crime like there would be in any urban neighborhood at the heart of any large major metropolitan area in the U.S., VaHi (the Virginia Highland neighborhood) doesn’t really have a reputation of being a truly ‘unsafe’ area, particularly by the standards of an Intown urban neighborhood at the heart of one of the nation’s 10 largest metropolitan areas.

What parts of VaHi do you consider to be ‘unsafe’ or “not good”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta