Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:18 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,055 times

Advertisements

Brookhaven (along Dresden) or Decatur if more intown sounds like it may not be for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 06:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
If you're thinking further down the road, consider the North Druid Hills Rd census district (30329). Its residents have one of the highest median ages in the metro, a highly educated populace (Emory University and the CDC are major employers in the area) and the advantage of proximity to many highly desirable intown neighborhoods while carrying on average a lower price tag.
I lived in this area until about six years ago; I particularly enjoyed the convenience of the location and cool neighbors I encountered over the years (I met my current husband there). I think the fact that it has one of the tightest housing markets in the metro should be somewhat of a recommendation.

https://www.zillow.com/atlanta-ga-30...oom%22%3A13%7D
Tell it, Iconographer! This is the area I settled in over 20 years ago, and I love it more than ever today. Just about everything you could want or need is a 15 minute non-freeway drive away, including friendly neighbors, the best ethnic food in the Southeast, low crime and a well run City (Chamblee). You couldn't blast me out of here.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:37 AM

30 posts, read 23,674 times
If you’re interested in living off the beltline for all the benefits it offers none of the suburbs mentioned will be anywhere close to fulfilling that niche. I’d start with looking at the neighborhoods of Old 4th ward, Reynoldstown, Inman park, Poncey Highland and Cabbagetown. Those are by most peoples standards the de facto “beltline neighborhoods” people are taking about when they recommend the beltline. There are some more slower paced neighborhoods off the beltline as well that still have most of the benefits but not quite as busy though that will change over the years. Those neighborhoods are Grant Park, Glenwood park, Virginia Highlands and west end. Lastly while midtown is not as beltline oriented as those other neighborhoods it is still fairly easily accessible from most of midtown within a reasonable walk and midtown has lots of amenities that no other neighborhoods do. Some people don’t like it for being much more urbanized that the rest of the city while some like it exactly for that reason. If you are already staying there for a few months that should be enough time for you to decide for yourselves. Midtown is also an excellent jumping off point for exploring all these other neighborhoods as they are all an easy bike ride or short drive away. You could also walk the beltline to these neighborhoods if you so choose, it would take longer but it is a pleasant walk I’ve done many times.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 301,659 times
If budget allows, I'd think Inman Park would be a great area along with Virginia Highlands. There is also Buckhead, which I personally think is a great area.

I really don't think Newnan or PTC will be your cup of tea if you're looking for a vibrant lifestyle.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:30 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
O4W or West Midtown seem nice for different reasons.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:29 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Tell it, Iconographer! This is the area I settled in over 20 years ago, and I love it more than ever today. Just about everything you could want or need is a 15 minute non-freeway drive away, including friendly neighbors, the best ethnic food in the Southeast, low crime and a well run City (Chamblee). You couldn't blast me out of here.
I am sorry to report that this will be the last post that we will receive from our friend and colleague jmatl, as he passed away in the early morning hours of this past Monday.
Some longtime posters here may have gathered that he and I maintained a friendship that long predated our time on CD; it was only by coincidence (sometime around 2008) that we realized we were both posters here.
He had been ill for quite some time, but never failed to maintain a keen interest in the subjects that to him mattered most: Politics, Travel (his career), Geography, Architecture, Urban Planning and Transportation.
He was a cherished friend that fought The Good Fight, and I will miss him for the remainder of the time I have left as well. Please know that your engagement with him here on CD was a lifeline for him...more than you could have known.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:35 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
I am sorry to report that this will be the last post that we will receive from our friend and colleague jmatl, as he passed away in the early morning hours of this past Monday.
Some longtime posters here may have gathered that he and I maintained a friendship that long predated our time on CD; it was only by coincidence (sometime around 2008) that we realized we were both posters here.
He had been ill for quite some time, but never failed to maintain a keen interest in the subjects that to him mattered most: Politics, Travel (his career), Geography, Architecture, Urban Planning and Transportation.
He was a cherished friend that fought The Good Fight, and I will miss him for the remainder of the time I have left as well. Please know that your engagement with him here on CD was a lifeline for him...more than you could have known.
Oh, dear. I am so saddened to hear this. JM was a kind, intelligent and special presence here. He will be greatly missed.

Thanks for letting us know, Iconographer.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:24 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
JMatl was a highly valued member of this online community and his presence here was greatly appreciated and will be greatly missed.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:22 AM

271 posts, read 301,659 times
Jmatl, rip and condolences to your loved ones and family. So sorry to hear and you'll be missed!

Old 02-27-2024, 09:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
RIP JMatl. I always enjoyed reading your posts, you will be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta