Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2024, 10:17 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times

Advertisements

Looking at the map we can go via #81, pretty much highway and nice always very peaceful or scenic. Maybe taking a day in the side areas in West Virginia?

Likely stop in Intercourse PA for a day or 2?

Just not sure. We will be in the Blue Ridge area for 3-4 days, and then taking about a week to get back to Central Maine area, but no real hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 10:47 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. The highway north past Knoxville Tennessee in the springtime is gorgeous with red bud trees, and dogwood and flowering pear trees. I dont know the route numbers. To avoid the interstate on the way south from NH; I used to drive across vermont into NY (Newberg) and down the NJ highway to about Scranton PA and then I would get on the Blue Ridge Parkway......my destination was South Carolina.....my goal was to avoid 95 and the truck traffic near the Chesapeake Bay and Maryland and Washington DC.....I am easily intimidated. LOL

Old 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. The highway north past Knoxville Tennessee in the springtime is gorgeous with red bud trees, and dogwood and flowering pear trees. I dont know the route numbers. To avoid the interstate on the way south from NH; I used to drive across vermont into NY (Newberg) and down the NJ highway to about Scranton PA and then I would get on the Blue Ridge Parkway......my destination was South Carolina.....my goal was to avoid 95 and the truck traffic near the Chesapeake Bay and Maryland and Washington DC.....I am easily intimidated. LOL
Unless it's an emergency we NEVER go near 95 into Boston or NY (or the god damn George Washington Bridge and the hellish New Jersey Turnpike)

Yeah, we're not big fans of the major highways either. From Maine we take either 4/202 into Lebanon, NH, to 101, to Bennington, VT, down 87 to 84 to 209, thru the Poconos and generally over to 81, then pick up 15 outside of Harrisburg, then to 81, to 77 and either 95 to the Beaufort area or the back roads (26 to 21).

From Blue Ridge GA, Knoxville is the way it (Google Maps) suggests and likely to be the way we go, but we considering 74, to 40, to 26 to 81. Looks like this would get in some nice back roads and pretty scenery?

Old 03-09-2024, 09:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Unless it's an emergency we NEVER go near 95 into Boston or NY (or the god damn George Washington Bridge and the hellish New Jersey Turnpike)

Yeah, we're not big fans of the major highways either. From Maine we take either 4/202 into Lebanon, NH, to 101, to Bennington, VT, down 87 to 84 to 209, thru the Poconos and generally over to 81, then pick up 15 outside of Harrisburg, then to 81, to 77 and either 95 to the Beaufort area or the back roads (26 to 21).

From Blue Ridge GA, Knoxville is the way it (Google Maps) suggests and likely to be the way we go, but we considering 74, to 40, to 26 to 81. Looks like this would get in some nice back roads and pretty scenery?
Ha. I had never towed before but I planned an RV tripped in 2021 that took us on 95, over the George Washington bridge with a 32" travel trailer behind us. I was a little white knuckled but it wasn't that bad. The worst was in NJ with all the construction and barriers right on the lane - zero shoulder.

I nearly drove us into the Holland Tunnel and last minute pulled over because I saw the signs. I needed a trucker GPS route vs using Waze. That would have been pretty funny.

I'm not sure we went on the most scenic route but 95 coming out of Boston - all those towns above are straight out of a picture.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
West Virginia was interesting, but it was kind of like an abandoned industrial wasteland surrounded by hills. I wouldn't call it beautiful. But if you've never been there you can do that, Central Pennsylvania and New York and avoid the Acela corridor. Upstate NY is nice and a lot more rural than you would expect.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
West Virginia was interesting, but it was kind of like an abandoned industrial wasteland surrounded by hills. I wouldn't call it beautiful. But if you've never been there you can do that, Central Pennsylvania and New York and avoid the Acela corridor. Upstate NY is nice and a lot more rural than you would expect.
Yeah, I've driven some of West Virginia and it is a bit of a wasteland, but there are some pretty roads along the way, and we don't mind seeing how "the other half lives".

Yeah, I'm from NY (Amsterdam), and we have driven damn near the whole state MANY times, by ourselves and with friends who are always amazed at how beautiful and scenic parts of NY are. As for Central PA, the Intercourse area is one of our favorite areas (we'll be there again in a few weeks), then back to Saratoga area (I'd say for the 12th time in the past 5 years)

Both Intercourse and Saratoga areas work out as great stops along our way back home.

we VERY Rarely get anywhere near the Acela corridor, as we both Hate #95 and most areas near that road. We like back roads, so much more to see. Which is why I called my travel blog (Sadly not up-to-date) offthebeatenpathwithskip.com

Last edited by slalemand; 03-15-2024 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: spelling issue

Old 03-15-2024, 02:32 PM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
If you decide to take the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.

It is a direct shot north from Blue Ridge, GA to Tellico Plains, TN where you can catch the picturesque Cherohala Skyway east to Robbinsville, NC. From there you could drive over and jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway South Terminus in Cherokee, NC aka the Qualla Boundary Reservation.

Not the fastest route, but arguably one of the most beautiful drives.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
If you decide to take the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.

It is a direct shot north from Blue Ridge, GA to Tellico Plains, TN where you can catch the picturesque Cherohala Skyway east to Robbinsville, NC. From there you could drive over and jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway South Terminus in Cherokee, NC aka the Qualla Boundary Reservation.

Not the fastest route, but arguably one of the most beautiful drives.
Thank you - that's a route, some of which we have taken in the past and agree, slow but beautiful

Old 04-01-2024, 08:11 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
We're originally from Massachusetts, and currently live in Cherokee County. When we drive up to see family, we always avoid 95. We take the 81 route through TN, VA, WV, MD, and then PA. Definitely much more scenic, and honestly, takes less time compared to 95 (traffic is lighter).

Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
We're originally from Massachusetts, and currently live in Cherokee County. When we drive up to see family, we always avoid 95. We take the 81 route through TN, VA, WV, MD, and then PA. Definitely much more scenic, and honestly, takes less time compared to 95 (traffic is lighter).
It's a great, beautiful drive.

My fave part: The Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta