Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a young professional (early 30's) moving from DC to Atlanta looking for the best place to live. I want to live outside Atlanta city proper and have heard good things about Sandy Springs. I'd like some advice from natives on if Sandy Springs is a good place (if so what specific neighborhood in Sandy Springs) or any other area suggestions. I'm not looking to buy just rent.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 01:54 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Sandy Spring is a suburban hub like Silver Spring or Alexandria with some high-density attributes, but not an immediate thought for a younger single professional. Somewhere inside the perimeter (ITP) that still has a suburban vibe (trees/parks) like Virgina Highland, Little Five Points or even Druid Hills puts you in the heart of Atlanta. Although work location can heavily dictate the best option. Where is your place of employment located?

Old 04-04-2024, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,287 times
Thanks Kyle - I'm working remote as of now.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:53 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy21 View Post
Hello,

I'm a young professional (early 30's) moving from DC to Atlanta looking for the best place to live. I want to live outside Atlanta city proper and have heard good things about Sandy Springs. I'd like some advice from natives on if Sandy Springs is a good place (if so what specific neighborhood in Sandy Springs) or any other area suggestions. I'm not looking to buy just rent.

Thanks in Advance!
Quote:
Sandy Springs (particularly in the City Green at City Springs development in Downtown Sandy Springs) is a good area to consider if one is seeking to live in a closer-in suburban location.

Depending on what kind of metropolitan amenities one may want, other non-Atlanta proper closer-in suburban communities like Cumberland, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Decatur proper, North Decatur, Smyrna, Marietta proper (historic Marietta Square/Downtown Marietta) and Vinings may also be good options to consider.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:33 AM

566 posts, read 889,273 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in Advance!
It really depends on what you are interested in. Sany Springs is a affluent city with a number of shopping and dining options, but inside of the city itself its more so geared towards families and retirees. There are however, a lot of great hiking options that are around.

However, what you like and don't like in a neighborhood? If you could provide more details we can provide you with better recommendations. Are you into nature? nightlife? singles events? or more so prefer home activities? These things can help us to narrow down if Sandy Springs is a good fit.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:42 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Sandy Springs is nice and centrally located. Brookhaven might also be a good fit for you.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:39 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times
Are you okay with not being on the roads in Sandy Springs from 6:30 am to 9:00 am and 3 pm to 7 pm? Traffic is absolutely horrendous in that area.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:10 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
If working remote I would take advantage of that and live in a place where you could walk or quickly drive to restaurants, coffee shops, bars, stores and even greenspace. Poncey-Highlands, Virginia Highlands and Druid Hills would be ideal for that. Driving is also not a traffic nightmare like Sandy Spring or areas on the north/northeast perimeter which are clogged with traffic flow most of the day.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:28 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,541 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in Advance!
If you are from DC then you can easily handle the hubbub of a midtown or Poncey Highlands.

Why are you looking outside the city proper?

Old 04-14-2024, 02:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
I don't really consider Sandy Springs a good spot for "young" folks. Its the place you go to settle down with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta