Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 26,636 times

Advertisements

My husband has just been tranferred to Kennesaw and we will be moving over the summer. We have yet to visit, find schools, etc. and everything is last minute and the move seems daunting. Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between the 2 areas, any recommendations on which of the 2 would be safer, with great schools. We have 2 preschoolers and are interested in great public elementary schools as well as private preschools. Which area is better? How are the public elementary schools in Woodstock vs. Kennesaw? Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM

162 posts, read 683,548 times
Toss a coin, both areas are great. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
575 is pretty awful heading south from Woodstock in the mornings. If ya'll can find a home that is closer to work in Kennesaw, the happier he will be. Both are great areas. but I prefer Kennesaw because its slightly closer in, and a lot more convienient than Woodstock. More shops, restaurants and services too.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the tip about the traffic. We were leaning to staying close to my husband's office since we had heard about the traffic so Kennesaw would seem to be the right place. However, it seems you can get more for your money in terms of housing in Woodstock. But the schools is most important, does anyone have info/opinions about Bullard Elementary in Kennesaw vs Bascomb Elem in Woodstock? Also any recommendations on private preschools in these 2 areas?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 AM

168 posts, read 637,177 times
Based on many comments I've heard about Woodstock schools, I'd choose Kennesaw in a flash. That's not saying that Kennesaw schools are wonderful, but the area is wealthier, more cultured. Woodstock is a decent place to live however, if you find you can't afford Kennesaw.

If I was being transferred to Kennesaw, I'd live there. You'll have access to many more places of interest and necessity than you would in Woodstock. Woodstock is rougher around the edges, not as built up. Kennesaw is more convenient for shopping, doctors, and access to activities.

Both places are safe to live in, but you'll find less "undesireable" about Kennesaw, since it's more refined in every way. It is, in fact, one of the most desireable towns to live in, in Cobb Co.

Housing is a buyers market right now. You ought to be able to find something affordable, if you have anything to put down. However, I recommend renting for a year. You could probably even find a 6mos rental in one of the many houses that aren't selling.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice. We are definitely going to rent first. I am now looking for homes to rent. Does anyone know what is happening in the rental market? Are there decent houses to rent in good school districts or are they scarce? I was using the 30152 zip code as a starting point since Bullard Elementary had good ratings and was in this zip code.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Based on many comments I've heard about Woodstock schools, I'd choose Kennesaw in a flash. That's not saying that Kennesaw schools are wonderful, but the area is wealthier, more cultured. Woodstock is a decent place to live however, if you find you can't afford Kennesaw.

If I was being transferred to Kennesaw, I'd live there. You'll have access to many more places of interest and necessity than you would in Woodstock. Woodstock is rougher around the edges, not as built up. Kennesaw is more convenient for shopping, doctors, and access to activities.

Both places are safe to live in, but you'll find less "undesireable" about Kennesaw, since it's more refined in every way. It is, in fact, one of the most desireable towns to live in, in Cobb Co.

Housing is a buyers market right now. You ought to be able to find something affordable, if you have anything to put down. However, I recommend renting for a year. You could probably even find a 6mos rental in one of the many houses that aren't selling.
If you are going to work in Kennesaw then by all means live there. However, Woodstock is not that far away and it is a great area. I am not sure what this poster is talking about. I live in Woodstock in the Towne Lake area...which is master planned golf community. This area is gorgeous, near great stores and we are even getting The Avenues next year. They would not be building The Avenues in a undesireable, rough around the edges unrefined town. We also have a quaint downtown area where they built Hedgewood (google it) which won awards for innovation and concept. I can go on and on, but Woodstock is considered by many to be a great area to live in. I don't consider Kennesaw to be wealthier..if I wanted to live there I could find easily find a cheap house (see Legacy Park). I would agree with you if you were talking about East Cobb or Alpharetta...but Kennesaw? Maybe I am missing something?

I can tell you want I don't like about Kennesaw is the horrific traffic. Especially around Barrett Parkway...whatever you do stay away from that area. Bascomb elementary is supposed to be a good school check greatschools.net I would visit both areas and decide for yourself.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 AM

168 posts, read 637,177 times
Default Please don't twist my words

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
They would not be building The Avenues in a undesireable, rough around the edges unrefined town.
I never said Woodstock was "undesirable" or “unrefined.” I said that one would find "less undesirable" about Kennesaw, which includes things like not having the best selection of doctors, hospitals, stores, dining, recreation, schooling choices/private schools, access to jobs, and things for kids and teens to do….without spending all your time and money on driving.

I said Woodstock was "rougher around the edges" than Kennesaw, which means less developed, less convenience, more unkempt properties and areas needing renovation, and all of the above. All cities tend to have some amount of this. However, if one's main goal is to escape the city...

Kennesaw has KSU, and is close to SPSU, Chattahoochee Tech, and GA Highlands. It has WhiteWater-American Adventures, 2 movie complexes, a mall, a hospital, YMCA, Costco, Joann, USPlay, Outback, Bahama Breeze, Olive Garden, every other restaurant, and a ton of other places that my friends in Woodstock routinely have to drive to Kennesaw to enjoy.

So, while Woodstock may be a fine place to live, comparatively speaking - which is what the OP asked for - Kennesaw has more. It also puts you closer to Marietta. Although being close to Alpharetta is also very nice. But the job is in Kennesaw.

As for the bit of traffic on Barrett Parkway during rush hour, the worst is nothing compared to the 575 inching south from Woodstock at 7 am going through Kennesaw at a very slow crawl. I see it every time I have to drive to Woodstock at 7-8am. God help you if there's an accident, even at 2pm.

You’re right about plenty of affordable housing in/near Kennesaw. There's something for everyone.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
The Bells Ferry/ Hwy 92 area could be considered a "rough edge" for Woodstock, but the same could be said for some of the area around US 41 in Kennesaw. You really can't go wrong with either, tho, both are nice. Kennesaw is a little closer in to the rest of Atlanta. Further out West Cobb wouldn't be a bad hop over to Kennesaw, so an Acworth address in Cobb wouldn't be a bad decision.

The Harrison HS district probably is the best HS in the area, not saying the others are bad, but it has a slightly better reputation than Kennesaw Mountain HS and North Cobb in the immediate area. I would say the Cobb schools are slightly better than Etowah in the Woodstock area which most of Town Lake is districted for. Woodstock HS is newer but draws more from the town of Woodstock and points east. The best schools are more East Cobb, especially the Walton, Pope or Lassiter districts.

I do agree that Town Lake is vey nice, but aren't there some rough trailer parks along Bells Ferry not far from there as well as older rougher subdivisions along 92 that feed into the schools there? Again, not a huge difference, but I still would go for Kennesaw over Woodstock, but just a slight advantage. You really won't go wrong in either area.

I am now in the Dallas (TX not GA) area but lived in the Marietta/Kennesaw area for 14 years. My brother lives in Town Lake in Woodstock and they are pleased with the area. I miss Georgia something fierce and would move back in a heartbeat if I could, Kennesaw, Acworth, Marietta or Woodstock.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Would definately stick to the Kennesaw area to reduce commuting time and expense. I live approximately 10mi from I-75 and Chastain Road; that's the heart of Kennesaw (entrance to Kennesaw State University).

Check out zip code 30066 - my school(s) are Davis Elementary, Mabry Middle & Lassiter HS. Don't let the signs fool you - there are some good deals on housing in the neighborhood; perhaps a decent rental in one of the older subdivisions.

Do agree with some of the other poster(s) ... sometimes the traffic around Town Center Mall/Barrett Parkway is horrendous and can be frustrating. However given the commuting cost and time spent would be best to stick closer to work - especially if you choose to rent initially. That would be my best recommendation since it could be shorter term and give youthe opportunity to check things out over time!

Best 2 u in your move and relocation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta