Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM

30 posts, read 146,078 times

Advertisements

We need to figure out which town would be best to move to in the area.
We are looking for a home 150-175, a good Catholic Church, good public schools,parks for elementary/mid school kids, walkable town (if possible), and the best pizza possible! Safety is alway at the top of the list. And family neighborhoods, no HOA neighborhoods. My husband will be commuting to Roswell. Please let me know how you like and dislike these towns. We are trying to make the best choice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The "best" will depend alot on where in Roswell he's working, but Canton and Woodstock will both be closer than Kennesaw for that commute. You're not likely to find much in your price range in the good school districts/safe areas, and definitely not in a "walkable downtown" area- there's really only one of those, in Woodstock, and the prices on the houses nearby are out of your range by a lot.

I don't know what your aversion is to HOA's, but most of the desirable neighborhoods have them, so you're going to have a tought time finding a "family neighborhood" without one.

For good pizza, the best we've found is at Touch of Italy on Old Hwy 5 in Woodstock at the intersection of E. Cherokee Drive- it's as good as most pizza in NJ.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Why not Roswell itself? It has everything you're looking for, except possible the housing prices are out of your league? Since price range isn't mentioned on this thread, Bob must know your price range from some other thread.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 AM

I mentioned 150-180 for price range. I realize that there are alot of homes out there in the 300plus range and many of the people who write on these threads sound like that is where they are coming from. I did see many nice homes in my price range. Which public schools are considered the good ones in the area? And if you not in an HOA are you then in a bad neighborhood? I have lived in an HOA and they are fine, I don't like to be at the mercy of a never ending increasing fee.

Also, my husband would be working near Hembree Road and Alpharetta Hwy in Roswell.
Thank you so far for your information.

Last edited by mayberrybound; 05-02-2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention extra info

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Woodstock New Homes

Canton New Homes

Kennesaw New Homes

There are more options in Canton. Also, prices are pretty negotiable for new homes right now.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Thank you for the websites on new homes. I forgot to mention we were looking for a home with a basement. Most of the new homes seem to be slab foundations.
Is there some issue with living in the older neighborhoods that I am not aware of, if so please mention so I can check other areas. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM

The basement lots aren't as prevalent as the slab homes- maybe 20% or so of total in subdivisions that even offer them. The typical cost of a basement vs a slab in a new development is $25-40k depending on the size of the home, so it's going to limit the number of basement homes available in the 150-180k range. Once you get closer to $300k, they're far more common.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Thank you for the websites on new homes. I forgot to mention we were looking for a home with a basement. Most of the new homes seem to be slab foundations.
Is there some issue with living in the older neighborhoods that I am not aware of, if so please mention so I can check other areas. Thank you.
Sorry I somehow skipped over your price range in your original post. I think the issue with older neighborhoods is that a lot of people who post here want a new home.

I live in an older neighborhood, no HOA, with a basement, in the portion of north-east Cobb County that borders Roswell (we even have a Roswell mailing address). So my home is closer to your husband's future workplace than any of the other locations discussed, it's districted for one of the state's top-scoring high schools (Lassiter) and my subdivision might be just barely in your price range. However, you'd be looking at a 1980s home, not particularly large, no swim/tennis etc. Most people who post here seem to prefer to get more house for their money by driving further out.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 PM

RainyRainyDay, Thank you for the reply. I have been checking around and North-East Cobb seems to have a better school system. When I enter the real estate websites, do I enter Marrietta in order to get NECobb? Also, how far around this area can you live and still be in a safe area? What are the names of neighborhoods I should be looking for. I'm getting the idea that saftey is very hit or miss unless your in a $300plus neighborhood (let me know if I am wrong). Anyway thank you for you help.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
I'm getting the idea that saftey is very hit or miss unless your in a $300plus neighborhood (let me know if I am wrong). .
I don't think I'd say that. You can buy a brand new home in Pulte's smallest development in Harmony on the Lakes in Holly Springs starting at $180k, and be in an extremely nice, safe neighborhood with good schools. You won't have a basement, but you'll have a 1,900 sf brand new home. You could do the same another 6 miles further out in Curtis Farms and get even more house, but in a community that doesn't have a pool, lake, tennis, etc.- it'll still be a safe area though. You can also go to Stoney Brook in Woodstock and buy brand new there for around $170k with a pool. How much house (sf, # of beds/baths) are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta