Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There are train tracks all over this city and state that can be used for commuter rail. It is my understanding that CSX has already agreed to share the rails that they own. That doesn't mean ALL the rails are in place, though. More rail would have to be built in some places. I think there are some stretches along the Athens to Atlanta "Brain Train" where new lines would need to be installed. Again, I'll have to look into this some more as I can't recall the exact details.
One area of the CSX sharing was the "Brain Train" design. From downtown, Emory, to Lawrenceville, to Winder, to Athens.
This was from what I understand the "original" mindset of expanding rail to Atlanta. The cost would have been nominal, the stops are already in place, and for the north side you would connect not only Gwinnett, but Barrow and Clarke, which are also growing by leaps and bounds.

This is the main thing that brought my dander up on the emotional side. In Gwinnett, we have this, what I call our "Super Developer" Mossberger who granted had done a fine job in developing town centers in Suwanee, Buford, Dacula, etc., That's ok, however, he is the main one sounding the horn to build out MARTA directly to Gwinnett Place, to the Mall of GA, with connection to Dacula. Now, notice the pattern? all stopping by "his" town center areas Of course, it will be us who will bear the brunt of the multi billion (with a B) dollar price tag through increased taxation.

Going back to the first item. As a fiscal conservative it just bothers the bejesus out of me when A: we already have the track, B: CSX would sublease the track, C: Have terminals in place that can be re-modeled at a low price, and D: would offer a quick path to transit. All the while still providing enough cash to make sure safety is at the forefront.
Instead, we have mulitple politicians involved, developers licking their lips, and of course Atlanta's finest in currupt politicians scaping for the biggest piece of taxpayers pie.

All the while, we get to sit each day staring at the bumper in front of us. Or driving in gridlock so you can ride a train a few miles.
Heck, the last time I checked the tracks have been there for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:56 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post

I have a question, there are not already train tracks that could be used for a commuter rail?
I'm not sure how Lovejoy came to be the initial route but here is the proposed commuter rail network that it comes from. If i'm not mistaken, nearly all of it would be on existing tracks.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
J2 - interesting map. I hadn't seen that one. Where did you find it?

If that map is something that the State government was looking at or the newly born-again Governor, it sheds some light into odd priorities. If the tracks are in place, and the purpose of commuter rail is to remove as many cars from the road as possible, I fail to see how the Lovejoy line would do that. The line which would ultimately end up in Gainesville would be the most logical choice and hit the most congested areas of the metro. Followed by the only "proposed" Cartersville and/or Canton routes. I would put Lovejoy down there in the same priority as Senoia or Madison if we're talking about easing traffic congestion.

It's a shame that West Cobb/Paulding is still so sparsely populated (relatively speaking that is). The proposed Rome route would bring it right through Powder Springs and I could ride the thing into town, but in reality, I think we're still a number of years away before a Rome route would be logical in both terms of "need" and money spent to get it up and running. Same with Bremen, though as far as Douglasville might be on that list of needs if that area keeps growing the way it has.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Marta should jack up its prices. Try a zoning structure like other cities. Further out of downtown the more you pay in rings. I use it all the time when I fly out on business and wouldn't mind paying $5 one way from Medical center to the airport. I can walk to the station from my house and it sure beats $60 for a few days parking, the hassel of driving down to the airport and the cost of fuel. When friends and clients fly in from other countries they cannot believe how cheap it is.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Marta should jack up its prices. Try a zoning structure like other cities. Further out of downtown the more you pay in rings. I use it all the time when I fly out on business and wouldn't mind paying $5 one way from Medical center to the airport. I can walk to the station from my house and it sure beats $60 for a few days parking, the hassel of driving down to the airport and the cost of fuel. When friends and clients fly in from other countries they cannot believe how cheap it is.
I dont know how I really feel about zone fare. I mean if they would like to increase the flat rate I can understand, however I can't see how they justify charging someone depending on their stop. If I get on the train at Buckhead and get off at Civic Center, why should I have to pay more to go the airport, the train is going no matter what. I'm for rate increases if it's justified for expansion and or operation, but zone fare does not make sense. Now this argument does not apply to commuter rail, if ride to Athens I don't expect to pay 1.75.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I dont know how I really feel about zone fare. I mean if they would like to increase the flat rate I can understand, however I can't see how they justify charging someone depending on their stop. If I get on the train at Buckhead and get off at Civic Center, why should I have to pay more to go the airport, the train is going no matter what. I'm for rate increases if it's justified for expansion and or operation, but zone fare does not make sense. Now this argument does not apply to commuter rail, if ride to Athens I don't expect to pay 1.75.
It works well in other cities. In your comparison you are travelling further so why not pay more? You are in theory also saving more the further you ride on the train.

I really don't understand how say a 25c increase each way would impact anyone yet it would probably push Marta into profitability and enable them to expand.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Fares should be charged not only on a zone basis, but also on a time basis. This would eliminate a lot of the bums who ride the Marta trains all day.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post

Going back to the first item. As a fiscal conservative it just bothers the bejesus out of me when A: we already have the track, B: CSX would sublease the track, C: Have terminals in place that can be re-modeled at a low price, and D: would offer a quick path to transit.

The problem with this is that commuter rail is not a general purpose transit system like MARTA. It is a system designed to get people to their jobs during rush hour and the trains would not run nearly as often as MARTA trains. It's not a system that would be useful for everyday running around and trips to the mall, like a good subway system is (or should be).

Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 AM

100 posts, read 485,650 times
Quote:
What I am saying is that Atlanta and the planning officials in GA need to consider that commuting to downtown is NOT the only flow of traffic. This doesn't ever seem to enter into the equation
This was my point, too. Here in Atlanta, how many people would use it. MARTA doesn't pay for itself as it doesn't have enough riders. It is poorly managed, but I am glad it is here at the minimum. I wish it would go more places. IPublic transporation here is too centralized around downtown. More jobs within the past 2 decades already are located north of dowtown, little cities among themselves: Buckhead, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Marietta and Duluth come to mind with skyscrapers and lots of office workers. The current mass transit isn't geared for accomodating that. So that is my point about it not accomodating enough riders.

I *like* public transportation. I have used it in many cities in the world and in the US. In the US, I think Chicago's and DC's were pretty decent.

Gwinnett voters should vote for the expansion of MARTA, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
There's something everyone seems to be missing in the talk about "the tracks are already there- we just need to use them"- the majority of the tracks in question are single tracks, which aren't exactly set up for "commuter rail", which requires dual tracks for trains running in both directions. Additionally, these tracks currently see very limited use, and the many grade crossings that exist aren't designed to accomodate the frequency of trains required for effective commuter rail service. So, while it's better to start with an existing right-of-way and track than with nothing, there's still a huge expense in putting a line like this into operation- you don't just drop a train on the tracks and open for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta