Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 AM

360 posts, read 1,011,483 times

Advertisements

I would have liked to have rented in Decatur proper, but with a limited amount of time to look for a place, I had to take what was available.

It seems to be a quiet street with modest brick homes from the 1950s.

Some of the homes probably look the same as they did 40 years ago, clean and neat but never updated. Then there are a scattering of clear property improvements. And then some homes look like they are in a slow state of disrepair.

I'm about one mile from the DeKalb Farmers Market and another mile and half or so from the center of Decatur.

Since I'm signing a lease, I'm committed for a year. But can any insiders share with me what my new community is like? It's hard to get much of a sense of things in two days. Part of the drive between my place and Decatur seems a little rough, but nothing scary bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
LovinDecatur and the other Decatur posters can answer this very well.

Parts of Scottsdale are a bit 'rough', I think. It is undergoing renewal and so close to Decatur/Avondale it should be a very good location shortly.

TakeAhike

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
I would have liked to have rented in Decatur proper, but with a limited amount of time to look for a place, I had to take what was available.

It seems to be a quiet street with modest brick homes from the 1950s.

Some of the homes probably look the same as they did 40 years ago, clean and neat but never updated. Then there are a scattering of clear property improvements. And then some homes look like they are in a slow state of disrepair.

I'm about one mile from the DeKalb Farmers Market and another mile and half or so from the center of Decatur.

Since I'm signing a lease, I'm committed for a year. But can any insiders share with me what my new community is like? It's hard to get much of a sense of things in two days. Part of the drive between my place and Decatur seems a little rough, but nothing scary bad.
Yes, that area is by and large kind of industrial and uninteresting...but I don't think it's dangerous. Scottdale you almost have to evaluate on a street by street basis; if you have a good feel for the street you chose, you're probably OK. Just take the same precautions you would anywhere (ie lock up, remove valuables from your car before leaving it), and you should be OK.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, that area is by and large kind of industrial and uninteresting...but I don't think it's dangerous. Scottdale you almost have to evaluate on a street by street basis; if you have a good feel for the street you chose, you're probably OK. Just take the same precautions you would anywhere (ie lock up, remove valuables from your car before leaving it), and you should be OK.
Thanks for the reply. The house I'm renting is quite cute, and street seems so-so. I saw some better ones and some worse ones off Valley Brook.

We had six burglaries in my inner-city CLT neighborhood in a span of two months, so it's not like I'm leaving some crime-free sanctuary for big, scary Atlanta!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LovinDecatur and the other Decatur posters can answer this very well.

Parts of Scottsdale are a bit 'rough', I think. It is undergoing renewal and so close to Decatur/Avondale it should be a very good location shortly.

TakeAhike
Thanks for the reply. That was my impression - a bit rough. But nothing scary. I like it's a bit rough and headed up rather than a bit rough and headed down. Like LovinDecatur says below, it does seem a bit industrial and uninteresting. But I'm just a couple of miles from some pretty cool things. After I sell my condo in Charlotte, I'll be in a position in a year to move closer to the heart of Decatur, or somewhere else entirely, if I want. Or I may like it and just stay put.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 66,234 times
The scottdale area is slowly gentrifying from its origins as a typical southern mill town. Properties inside the perimeter are in high demand, especially now with high gas prices and impossible traffic conditions. You are close to downtown decatur and avondale estates. The media library is just across memorial drive on covington highway and, of course, you already know about the farmers market. All in all, scottdale is a good value in the atlanta area. Welcome!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM

222 posts, read 753,021 times
Smile Scottdale

I own a house there that I rent-out. My grandather worked the mill for 50 years. It was built like all the others, for the workers. He ended-up at one time, after the mill closed, owning six homes there. All the grand kids got one.

You can see the back of the farmer's market, from the one I have renters in. They like the fact you can walk to it in two minutes.

Other than that, one must drive to get to much anything else of merit. There is talk of the area being named a historical site, and hopefully attracting merchants to the village. Some want that, and some do not. Much of the land is owned by Mr. Blazer, the owner of the farmer's market. Some say he is hoping that someone will want to buy out the majority of the homes, and build new ones, or condos, or such. If you know the area, he owns the old baseball field, which my house sits across. He would stand to profit.

If you like Decatur (and it's hard not to really), you can get a home in Scottdale way cheaper, and just have a short drive to all the action.

I own another house in Cabbagetown, and I can say that mill village has made tremendous growth. Maybe Scottdale will follow. Decatur aside, I still feel the key to making the area vibrant, is for a walkable business district.

Time will tell......

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times
I also live in Scottdale, but about a mile down N. Decatur heading East from Ponce. So, I'm not exactly where you live. We had concerns six years ago when we moved here about crime, but it hasn't been nearly as bad or scary as I expected. You just have to be aware of your surroundings... this even goes for Sandy Springs or Buckhead (had a couple of home burglaries when I lived in Buckhead).

Our goal was to live here for a few years, have a baby and then start thinking about moving to a better school district. Now we don't want to move. We are so close to Decatur and paid so much less for an awesome house. If we moved our home 2.5 miles down the road it would probably be worth $100k more. Schools, school, schools. There is a proposed charter school for the Avondale area that might be going in two years. That could keep us here and we'd love that. The drive downtown to work is awesome as well.

Overall, we made the right choice moving here.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
Thanks for the reply. That was my impression - a bit rough. But nothing scary. I like it's a bit rough and headed up rather than a bit rough and headed down. Like LovinDecatur says below, it does seem a bit industrial and uninteresting. But I'm just a couple of miles from some pretty cool things. After I sell my condo in Charlotte, I'll be in a position in a year to move closer to the heart of Decatur, or somewhere else entirely, if I want. Or I may like it and just stay put.
If you are seriously considering another area.

Give Briarcliff Heights/Toco Hill/Executive Park area a look. About 10-15 minutes away. 50's/60's style homes, many renovated and about 1/3 acre yards. In the Emory Corridor. Briarcliff/North Druid Hills.

Not as much 'character/charm' as Decatur--but very accessible to Decatur, downtown and parts north and east and west. Houses are now selling from around $250,000--a few for rent/lease--$1200-1500/mo.

If you only had a few days then you really didn't get to look around. Tucker, GA--about 15 minutes east of you, closer to Stone Mountain is another option to consider when you have a chance.

Decatur is an outstanding community but it is expensive, imo. I visit Decatur and enjoy myself each time. Great library system and its headquarters is located in Decatur, as is the government of DeKalb County.

When you have a chance drive through Avondale. Another community that is upgrading. Beautiful older homes--and it has its own character. A bit freer than Decatur, more creative types there.

I guess my advice is drive around the city and see where you really want to be. I have lived here for decades and that is what I do. I see different neighborhoods and think, 'That might be good...'

You will like Scottdale I think. Close to the DeKalb Farmers Market for one thing and that is a wonderful place.

TakeAhike

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all of your replies about Scottdale. It's making me feel even better about where I am going to be renting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta