Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 AM

72 posts, read 289,557 times

Advertisements

There's a bit of a chicken-and-egg quandary in Atlanta. Imagine how quickly the city population would be rising if the city government were fiscally responsible and non-corrupt.

That said, I can't think of many major American cities where the residents don't have complaints about their city government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,264,816 times
Sheesh, I know some of the folks here don't live in the city. My point was counter to him acting like his comments bring out some strange elements on this forum when all the people I listed, city dwellers and not, post here consistently.

All this being said, I think he's probably a troll, based on the fact he's got a small amount of comments and they're almost all baiting.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,669,243 times
Keep in mind though that most people in metro Atlanta don't work in the city. In fact one of the greatest commuting challenges is east to west -- not north to south.

The question I have, for example, is whether the cost of gas will make the family that can afford a half million dollar home buy one in Dunwoody rather than say Roswell or Alpharetta because they work at Perimeter Center?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 AM

I agree....my argument earlier was in regard, as I stated, to those middle class folks who do work in the city.

However, I am curious....I'd love to see some numbers regarding where the workers are going. So, how many work in Alpharetta, Atlanta, Duluth, Snellville, etc.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,762 times
[quote=plessthanpointohfive;4413256]I agree....my argument earlier was in regard, as I stated, to those middle class folks who do work in the city.

However, I am curious....I'd love to see some numbers regarding where the workers are going. So, how many work in Alpharetta, Atlanta, Duluth, Snellville, etc.[/quote]

I think people are a little misleading regarding the City of Atlanta and where people work. In fact most people do work in the City, it's by far the largest job center. Here is something I found, that may be interesting and a little outdated.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/arc/documents/regsnap_DaytimePop.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Thanks for that link. I wish they'd update it to 2008.

I am not sure about the definition of the columns but the first two, which I think show the permanent (residential) population and then the daytime pop. The total permanent pop included in this article is a little under 700K, which is a LOT less that the pop of the entire Atlanta MSA.

It also shows the pop of the city of Atlanta has grown by 100K since 2000....

I'd like to see this done again after the 2010 census....

Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Keep in mind though that most people in metro Atlanta don't work in the city. In fact one of the greatest commuting challenges is east to west -- not north to south.

The question I have, for example, is whether the cost of gas will make the family that can afford a half million dollar home buy one in Dunwoody rather than say Roswell or Alpharetta because they work at Perimeter Center?
I think thats happening already a little bit. A few people I know are looking to move further in to a samller house to avoid long commute times, gas and utilities.

From what I read projected business growth is very high in the city going forward.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,904,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Bob and Greg don't live in the city eitha.
I currently do not live in the city. However, I have lived in the Lindbergh area, Virginia Highlands area, Brookhaven area (twice), and though it's not intown it's inside 285 - Vinings. I currently live in West Cobb (because I work here, and my commute to/from work is only 3 miles each way). I currently have friends who live in Grant Park, Buckhead, and on Peachtree in Midtown near the Civic Center area. So - I'm "qualified". ahem.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sheesh, I know some of the folks here don't live in the city. My point was counter to him acting like his comments bring out some strange elements on this forum when all the people I listed, city dwellers and not, post here consistently.
Sorry 'bout that. I just saw the "You want to know something about living in the city?" bit and then my name listed, and I wanted to note that I really don't know a lot about it. Unless the city is the fabled metropolis of Mableton.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
However, I am curious....I'd love to see some numbers regarding where the workers are going. So, how many work in Alpharetta, Atlanta, Duluth, Snellville, etc.
I'd like to see that, too. My wife and I both work in the Cumberland area, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta