Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,635 times

Advertisements

I enrolled my son into a private school which have clinics that help with children dealing with<a href="http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=945&state=UT">ADD/ADHD</a>. We found a school near by our house, which was called west ridge academy. Ever since he enrolled it's seem that his ADHD has gotten better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
My son has ADHD but his behavior is also a big issue. The medication seems to now get him through the school day but he still has a lot of issues after school and at home. I am single mom that has to work so he has to have an extended day.. The Atlanta Public Schools don't have what it takes to handle kids like ours.
Concerned C

Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
Have you or anyone on the school staff suggested a behavior modification plan? Does your son have an IEP? At the very least, the teacher can keep a notebook that lists the ABCs- three columns with the Antecedant, the Behavior, and the Consequence. With that data you can formulate a plan, as a team. The most important part is consistency implementing it throughout all areas- school and home.

The school is not responsible to handle kids like ours- we must all work as a team and as a single mom I realize you have a lot on your plate, but you are the most important part of the team.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
You may want to consider The Cloverleaf School of Atlanta ( [url=http://www.cloverleafschool.org]The Cloverleaf School of Atlanta »[/url] ). Tuition is just under 20K, which is very reasonalbe for the area, especially considering they offere a 4 to 1 student teacher ration. My 10 year old son, hyper plus, has just had the best 6 months of his life and is making huge gains.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
My child has not yet been diagnoised but he meet all the signs for ADHD I am at my breaking point everyday at school he gets into trouble teacher says he yells out in the classroom, he rolls on the floor when she is reading a story, he can't sit still in his seat-falling on the floor under his desk the list goes on I just don't know what to do. I am a single parent and can't afford these expensive school for him to get help. I live in Villa Rica Ga and there does not seem to be any help for my son. I am going to get him evaluated next week does anyone know of any great doctors. If there are any suggestions I would gladly appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
DMMclure,
You posted on the Atlanta site. You might have good success on the Maryland site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcclure1 View Post
Hi All: I am also looking for a school that offers a curriculum for learning differences in Maryland. My son is ADHD and the public school system here just straight out sucks! My son is bright but the school system has a low tolerance for those who cannot keep up. I need an alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions? frustrated in maryland

Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
Practical_Lady,
Most have recommended private schools but I keep hearing you say that that is not an option.
I understand. How about a different area of town where the school district might offer a bit more?
I am not familiar with Dekalb county but I have read on this board a number of times that Dekalb county is going through a tough time with budget cuts and it is NOT the place to be right now, education-wise. I have heard just recently on this board that Fayette county has good resources for children who need more creative solutions in public school education. Have you considered Fayette county? Not sure about the public transportation aspect but it seems to be a nice, fairly quite and pretty safe place to live.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
In most cases, you don't need expensive private schools to deal with ADHD (unless there are other, more severe, underlying issues).
What you do need, is good, effective communication with the school, starting with the teacher. After a diagnosis is made, you should meet with the appropriate school staff to determine what can be done, as a team, to help your student. I think that a behavior plan that is executed consistently at school, home, daycare, etc. can go a long way.

I have seen kids where medication does wonders. With my son, one medication caused side effects and one did not really help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta