Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 60,802 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are house hunting and one of the townhome communites we saw is Vinings at Chatahoochee off South Cobb Drive. Is anyone familiar with this one and do you know what if any plans the county (Fulton) has for cleaning up the area? There is a lot of light industrial around the homes, not to mention a rock quarry. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
This should actually be in the city of Atlanta. The city has been working on cleaning up a lot of areas, but this isn't one of them. But you have seen some gentrification anyway. New neighborhoods are popping up around there which is naturally going to make the area better. You have the new community north of there near 285. You have a couple of new neighborhoods over near Marietta and you have the Perry Homes redevelopment on Perry Blvd. There is a proposed redevelopment for the shopping center at Bolton and Marietta. The power plant isn't going anywhere though. There is actually a plan to replace it with a new larger one on the same site. The railroad tracks/yard aren't going anywhere either. I believe the rock quarries are closing but it could take a while. A lot of the neighborhoods around there are pretty dangerous which high crime rates. There is a proposed TAD on Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy which could help the neighborhood. Some of the light industry will change as property values go up but some of it will likely be there for some time.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 60,802 times
Thanks for the response. I think since we intend to make this our last purchase, we'd better look elsewhere.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
There is a proposed TAD on Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy which could help the neighborhood. Some of the light industry will change as property values go up but some of it will likely be there for some time.
I have heard that John Wieland is interested in buying the Bankhead Homes projects on Hollowel Pkwy. Has anyone else heard this rumor???

Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
I know the city of Atlanta has been shopping for a buyer so I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,463 times
Default Carver Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
This should actually be in the city of Atlanta. The city has been working on cleaning up a lot of areas, but this isn't one of them. But you have seen some gentrification anyway. New neighborhoods are popping up around there which is naturally going to make the area better. You have the new community north of there near 285. You have a couple of new neighborhoods over near Marietta and you have the Perry Homes redevelopment on Perry Blvd. There is a proposed redevelopment for the shopping center at Bolton and Marietta. The power plant isn't going anywhere though. There is actually a plan to replace it with a new larger one on the same site. The railroad tracks/yard aren't going anywhere either. I believe the rock quarries are closing but it could take a while. A lot of the neighborhoods around there are pretty dangerous which high crime rates. There is a proposed TAD on Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy which could help the neighborhood. Some of the light industry will change as property values go up but some of it will likely be there for some time.
Do you live in this area? If the City of Atlanta & Felecia Moore City Council Woman had done there jobs along with the Police Dept maybe this Community wouldn't have these issues for this long period of time. People are always quick to judge the environment & the people. Whats your position in this TAD Project? Once again Where do you reide? Do you think a decision should be made in the dark without the community input?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I have heard that John Wieland is interested in buying the Bankhead Homes projects on Hollowel Pkwy. Has anyone else heard this rumor???

That has been a long standing rumor, going back (at least) as far as 2004. I would be surprised if he goes for it now, though, as I think he is easing off investments in Atlanta currently (based on an article I read) and I think all those mid-sized builders are puckered up right now.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispering View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are house hunting and one of the townhome communites we saw is Vinings at Chatahoochee off South Cobb Drive. Is anyone familiar with this one and do you know what if any plans the county (Fulton) has for cleaning up the area? There is a lot of light industrial around the homes, not to mention a rock quarry. Thanks.
This area is called Riverside (44 on the map) and it's mostly along Bolton Rd between James Jackson Parkway in Atlanta (It's S. Cobb in Smyrna) and Marietta Blvd (which is Atlanta Rd in Smyrna). It is just South and right across the river from "West Vinings" (actually Smyrna, or as many call it "Smyrnings") which is one of the nicest areas in metro Atlanta. It's also just West of Bolton which is in turn just West of Buckhead. I know it looks industrial, but don't let the looks fool you: Riverside has recently been gentrified over the last few years. Once you head South of Bolton Rd, it starts getting more seedy very quickly. You head North into Smyrna and it gets nicer and more expensive. The Riverside neighborhood's character is one and two style craftsmen style homes, $200k-$300k on average, usually single young professionals.

I would definitely look at Smyrna as well, right across the river, especially if you have school-aged children. If you head further North towards Cumberland Parkway, it starts to get less industrial. I live up about two miles North where East/West connector and Cumberland Parkway meets S. Cobb Drive, almost at the start of the silver comet biking/walking trail. I don't live in the townhomes but a larger home nearby, but the townhomes are also nice. Also check out Cumberland Parkway, East/West connector, Atlanta Rd, the center of Vinings, Concord Rd, and the market village area of Smyrna (near Concord Rd / Atlanta Rd intersection). Also head down Oakdale Rd East of S. Cobb Drive and check out West Village. There are additional townhomes on Spring Rd/Spring Street in Smyrna and on Mount Wilkinson Parkway in Smyrna.

One additional advantage Smyrna/Vinings has is that it's in Cobb County and therefore has lower taxes. Some people I know who live in Riverside (the area you mentioned) love it but hate the taxes. Others don't care.

Riverside

Your typical Riverside Atlanta old renovated craftsmen style homes (probably not actually from Riverside, but looks like it):
http://www.myatlantarehabs.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/bungalow-1310/bungalow_1002.gif (broken link)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Smyrna
Examples for Smyrna. Go to Smyrna Homes For Sale - Vinings Homes - Smyrna Vinings Real Estate - Restaurants - Businesses - Events for more neighborhood info.

http://resources.newhomesource.com/Images/Homes/Atlan999/5901077.jpg (broken link)
Ivy Walk, Smyrna

http://cobbrealestateblog.com/images/westvillageretail2.jpg (broken link)
http://photos.clickscape.com/140277/4805-west-village-way-2103-smyrna-ga-flats-at-west-village-3986958_0_large.jpg (broken link)
West Village, Smyrna

Silver Comet Trail on East/West connector, Smyrna

Smyrna market village

Smyrna market village detached condos

King Springs Rd (off Concord Rd), Smyrna

The heights at Spring Rd, Smyrna

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Micayne Cir, off Concord Rd, Smyrna

http://1437montclaircourt.com/home/photogallery/1437/frontview.jpg (broken link)
Montclair, Corner of Spring Rd and Atlanta Rd, Smyrna

Mableton
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
That has been a long standing rumor, going back (at least) as far as 2004. I would be surprised if he goes for it now, though, as I think he is easing off investments in Atlanta currently (based on an article I read) and I think all those mid-sized builders are puckered up right now.
I think people were confused because he built right across the river from the now defunct Bankhead Courts on the corner of Oakdale Rd/Discovery Pl and Veteran's Memorial in Mableton (picture below). I heard a different builder who specialized in lofts was eying the Bankhead Courts property (can't remember who). With the market the way it is, I imagine Bankhead courts will be just left bulldozed or replaced with a big-box store.
This is not Bankhead courts, but the JW property im Mableton right across the river which is almost a knock-off of his older Ivy Walk community in Smyrna:
Attached Thumbnails
Vinings at Chatahoochee (Atlanta)-jwmabletonoakdale.jpg   Vinings at Chatahoochee (Atlanta)-smyrna_market_village_condos.jpg  

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta