Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,435 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've lived in MN my whole life (am now 40) and have an opportunity to move to Atlanta for a job in Norcross. My SO is a techie so he can go anywhere and would be coming with me. I've only been downtown (for trade shows) and Lake Lanier many years ago so am not that familiar with the area. Are any of you from this area (MN) and are their any big positives/regrets to moving? I'm a typical Scandinavian-slow to warm up but loyal to the death-just curious on the vibe.

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Don't do it. Minnesota is such a beautiful place.......Atlanta is an overcrowded, souless mess of transplants, all sitting on the backed up freeways half their lives. I'm a midwesterner that lived in Atlanta, and I came running back up here so that I could have a better quality of life, and yes, that's what I have.

If you're just looking to get out of MN, then ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, but if you have any doubts whatsoever, DON'T DO IT. The midwest way of life is much different from the "new south". I hope to never leave the midwest again, personally.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Don't do it. Minnesota is such a beautiful place.......Atlanta is an overcrowded, souless mess of transplants, all sitting on the backed up freeways half their lives. I'm a midwesterner that lived in Atlanta, and I came running back up here so that I could have a better quality of life, and yes, that's what I have.

Well gee- there's an unbiased, accurate assessment of an entire metro area......

Here's a silly thought- since the OP already has a job offer in Norcross, what about the concept of living somewhere in/around Norcross, to avoid the "sitting on the backed up freeways half their lives" part? And maybe the folks you chose to associate with were just a "souless mess of transplants", but I've found the people here to be a breath of fresh air compared to the "I've got to work 90 hours a week so I can make the mortgage payment on my $600k, 1,000 sf bungalow and get a shot at making VP before I'm 35" mindset that I left behind in NJ. Maybe (just maybe???) you were a victim of your own circumstances and your experience doesn't equate to everyone elses? Think about it and get back to me.....

Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 49,364 times
My mom grew up in northwestern Wisconsin, not terribly far from Minneapolis. She moved to Miami, Florida after college and then made her way to Atlanta a few years later. And the verdict? She loves it here.

She is also Scandinavian and feels loyalty to her hometown, which is why she returns to the Eau Claire area (where she still has family and friends) at least once a year. But she said the trade-off was worth it. Georgia weather agrees with her, and she often claims that she couldn't imagine returning to the snow and cold of Wisconsin / Minnesota. She misses the salt-of-the-earth people who populated her Wisconsin hometown, but she loves the Southern hospitality of Metro Atlanta -- and plus, since so many Atlanta-area residents are transplants, she's met her fair share of Midwesterners (including a good number from Wisconsin and Minnesota) in the 25 or so years she's lived here.

For the record, she lives in East Cobb County, near the Marietta / Roswell border, not far from Norcross and only about 20 minutes from the city.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

197 posts, read 515,948 times
I’m originally from the Midwest as well and have lived down here in Atlanta for almost 4 years now and I really enjoy living down here. As a matter of fact my views on this area compared to the Midwest are exactly the opposite of Northman’s. First of all, I enjoy being in a place that has a lot of transplants from all over because you get a variety of different people to meet. I’ve meet and befriended very decent people from all over the country/world down here. That’s something that just doesn’t happen in most of the Midwest. For me, the traffic has not been as bad as everyone told me it would be when I moved down here. The last place I lived before I moved here was Louisville, KY and my commute to work there was 17 miles one way. My commute to work here in Atlanta is 21 miles one way. I used to constantly sit in traffic for much longer periods of time for my Louisville commute than I do for my Atlanta commute. So for me my commute time has actually improved but of course that is something that will be different for everyone. Obviously the weather is much nicer down here and I find the overall quality of life much better down here. Every time I visit my old stomping grounds of Indiana and Michigan I am just amazed at how run down, crime infested and third world these places have become. The infrastructure up there is beyond falling apart and whole downtowns are boarded up and just about abandoned. It’s really sad to see places that were so vibrant when I was younger in the poor state they’re now in.

I’ve never lived in MN so I can’t really give you any comparisons to that part of the Midwest. I would highly suggest that you visit the Atlanta area for at least a week and while you’re down here don’t just do touristy things. Pick out a few areas that you think you would be interested in living in and then go out and do some things that you would actually be doing if you were living there. Go to a grocery store close by where you think you would be living and do a little shopping and see how the people working and shopping in the store act. Go to a park that’s close by and hang out for a bit, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM

308 posts, read 1,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpls View Post
Hi All,

I've lived in MN my whole life (am now 40) and have an opportunity to move to Atlanta for a job in Norcross. My SO is a techie so he can go anywhere and would be coming with me. I've only been downtown (for trade shows) and Lake Lanier many years ago so am not that familiar with the area. Are any of you from this area (MN) and are their any big positives/regrets to moving? I'm a typical Scandinavian-slow to warm up but loyal to the death-just curious on the vibe.

Traffic is the big issue in Atlanta. Everything else is superb. Lanier is overrated. There are other better lakes like Oconee. I'm not a huge fan of Norcross but you could live in Roswell and commute over

Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpls View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I moved down here from Eden Prairie in the fall of 2004, and I was 42 at the time, so we're not far ahead of you.

Where in MN are you moving from? That would make it easier to provide points of comparison. However, this post I wrote a while ago might be a good starting point along with the accompanying thread.

I grew up and lived in the SW Minneapolis suburbs (Minnetonka, Bloomington, Eden Prairie), and my wife grew up in northern MN (Esko) and lived in Shakopee before she met me, and we've both adjusted rather well to life down here. There's more of an edge to life down here (you will want to install an alarm system, I suspect), but for the most part it's similar to Minnesota with a milder climate and with Kroger and Publix instead of Byerly's and Cub.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,435 times
Thank you all for your responses. We're coming out of Shoreview, a NE burb of the Cities. The housing marketing is awful here, and it takes forever to sell so that is a concern of mine (though the company I'm speaking with would take care of relo expenses). My SO has lived all over the world, so he has no problem moving, but of course the bottom line is quality of life. We both like the outdoors (we can bike to 3 lakes within a few blocks of home) and would plan on buying a home close to work-I can't stand traffic (even now I will take a longer way home if it allows me to keep moving) but he doesn't mind it-go figure. I definately would spend at least a week there prior to making this decision. I'm not sure how I can survive without Byerly's but am willing to make the effort!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM

893 posts, read 791,533 times
I'm from Iowa originally and lived in the Atlanta area for years before coming to the northeast last year for my husbands job. We would never go back to the midwest to live and are heading back to Georgia as soon as possible. We love it.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,566 times
Leave your shovel behind that's for sure. And your heaviest winter gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta