Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,169 times

Advertisements

Moving to Alpharetta in a few months and just started playing tennis again. I'm curious if tennis courts are outdoors in Atlanta and, if so, do you just play in the heat and humidity and sweat it out? (And, I assume, drink lots of water.) Are there any indoor courts as well? Do people get up at the crack of dawn to play to try to beat the heat in the summer months?

Last edited by shania; 08-11-2008 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Moving to Alpharetta in a few months and just started playing tennis again. I'm curious if tennis courts are outdoors in Atlanta and, if so, do you just play in the heat and humidity and sweat it out? (And, I assume, drink lots of water.) Are there any indoor courts as well? Do people get up at the crack of dawn to play to try to beat the heat in the summer months?
Yes - you just get use to the heat in the summer and drinks lots of water

I currently play at 9 am or 10 am in the mornings in the summer months. I started playing tennis when I was 12 in Atlanta and have never played in an indoor court ever. My ALTA team will start practice in a few weeks and we will play at 8 pm.

Check out ALTATENNIS.COM or find a local tennis center (North Fulton is a large facility on Abernathy) and they can suggest joining a league or when they have mixers.

Yes it gets hot! Last year when the heat index got over 100F, I took a few weeks off in the summer

Have fun hitting tennis balls

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times
there are several different leagues here in atlanta but Alta is the biggest (Atlanta Lawn and Tennis Association) and they have set times that you play. Womens tennis have three different teams, they have thursday womens, sunday womens, and business womens teams and they are only played during the spring and fall seasons for seven weeks. the thursday womens play on thursdays starting at 9:00 fso it is not too terribly hot or cold out. sunday womens plays sundays at 1:00 during those same seasons so it can be much hotter out for those matches because you are close to the peak "highs" for the day (I have tried each so I know....which right now you can play on one or the othere, not both) but neither of them are bad at all during those seasons. Business women I believe play in the evening but I dont really know much about it....agian each season is 7 weeks...more if you make it to playoffs. Mixed doubles is only played during the summer and winter months for 7 weeks each....those matches start at 9:00 am during the summer on saturdays and 1:00 during the winter on sundays....that is when it is either hot or cold. Alta rules state that you dont have to play if the temperature drops below 32 or above 100...which is no saving grace! If you are looking for singles then you would probably want to play k-swiss where you arent on a team or usta where you are on a team....k-swiss you contact the other player and decide on a time....usta is pretty much the same as alta but their season starts about 3 weeks after altas season is over and they also have winter and summer leagues but none of them ar mixed. Mens Alta leagues are during the same season as womens but they play on Saturdays at 9:00 only. So to recap....womens and mens leagues only play during the spring and fall and mixed leagues only play during the summer and winter and they are all doubles matches. If you are looking for a team you should go to ALTATENNIS.COM. I did forget to mention that there are 5 lines that play each match and some places only have two courts to play on so depending on how long the match is and what line you play will determine your starting time. ex. lines 1 & 2 always start at 9:00, line 3 starts whenever one of them finish and line 4 starts after that and line 5 starts after that so it all depends on how the day goes. If you play line 1 or 2 so your day will always start at 9:00 but it can be a nice little wait for any of the lines after. lines 3 & 4 are not required to be courtside until 10:00 (or maybe 10:30) and line 5 until 11 or so.....but good sportsmanship is to be there for the whole thing to support your team. Hope that helps and sorry if it is too much info.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmejb View Post
there are several different leagues here in atlanta but Alta is the biggest (Atlanta Lawn and Tennis Association) and they have set times that you play. the summer on saturdays and 1:00 during the winter on sundays.... a....but good sportsmanship is to be there for the whole thing to support your team. Hope that helps and sorry if it is too much info.
Good info jb, but the thread is a year old. Hopefully, shania found her tennis connection.

BTW, George mentioned North Fulton TC...now officially Sandy Springs Tennis Center--my home base for 20+ years. Great facility...even if it is a bit of a haul from A-retta in traffic. I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta