Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,845 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I relocated to Atlanta from NYC a year ago. When I first moved here I rented an apartment in Alpharetta for a year. While I do enjoy living in Alpharetta-especially the safety- I am looking to move closer to the city for my job and school. I would like to purchase a home and I am looking to spend up to 140k - if that much. I'm getting ready to be a graduate student and really can't afford too much house but also realize it makes more sense to purchase than to rent out here. My rent is $804 for a 2 bedroom excluding utilities. I have a one year old son so safety is very important to me. What zipcodes in the decatur area and "good" neighborhoods. Also, where in downtown Atlanta would be considered "good" to live. I am really into older homes and have found some really nice ones in the west end and old fourth ward area. How is it over there? I am an African American female but coming from a city like NYC I really like living in mixed neighborhoods, but I DEFINITELY do not want to live around ignorance or in crime infested neighborhoods. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,272 times
I thought I'd respond before your request just dropped off without any answers. The problem is, it's just impossible to buy a house in-town for 140K in a safe neighborhood.

On the other hand, you might be able to afford a townhouse in that range. If I wanted to make suggestions, I'd have to go to a real estate site and do a search, which is something you can do yourself. My suggestion is to find some townhouses in your budget (don't forget association fees in your calculations) and then ask about the areas where they are located.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: