Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

If everyone involved was really interested in maintaining home values, this email chain and post have probably done more damage than icicle lights, irresponsibly parked cars and a shoddy air conditioner combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I used to live in a townhome development where residents were encouraged to NOT contact neighbors directly regarding covenant issues, b/c I think the HOA wanted to maintain the veil of anonynimity. It seems like the first issue here was the fact that this email was actually shared with you, instead of the HOA simply giving you a notice telling you to take the lights down and stop illegal parking. I did not really think the initial email was very abrasive at all...simply factual and matter-of-fact. You seemed to kind of fly off the handle and take it personally, when it sounds like you were at fault any ways. I agree with the neighbor that lights shouldn't be up past, say February, b/c it looks red-neck, trashy, and lazy. Parking is a serious problem, as it can hinder emergency vehicles from entering a street (this actually happened at my old townhome dev't where someone almost died b/c it took so long for the ambulance to get through all the cars on both sides of the street).

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
yikes! I read your post and I am BLOWN AWAY that with all the issues we are facing in this day and age people would be that hung up on Christmas lights (and yes I agree with you that icicle lights are a far cry from tacky colored Christmas lights) and Parking!!! WOW! very very sad that these two men obviously have NO LIFE whatsoever!!!! IF parking behind your garage has not bothered the people you share your common drive with then why would someone on the other side of the neighborhood have any right to make such an ordeal out of it. It is also very clear that no one else in the neighborhood agrees with him!

I am also appalled by other posts that agree with such an obviously angry and self absorbed individual. Needmojo, i wish you the best but I would advise you to get away from such negative individuals. I hate that you have to experience this at a time when more important issues are obviously facing our nation.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
well said Tom
These people (the ones with enough time to worry about who has thier christmas lights up when and parking) seriously need to invtigate some volunteer organizations where thier time could be better spent. sad very sad that we have people petty enough to be so ugly over such minor non-essential issues.

Amy

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 AM

293 posts, read 901,859 times
If there were no HOA, you would probably speak to eachother face to face.

If there were no HOA, you would probably approach eacother and ask politely or put a note on the window of the cars to not leave their cars there at night

If there were no HOA, you would have probably found the solution already

If there were no HOA, you would not become obsessed with what others do or don't, what they can do or can't, what they should do or should not,

If there were no HOA, then you would be happier

To summarise, most HOA are just upsetting people and their privacy.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
It is sad that people feel the need to resort to writing nasty emails instead of politely approaching each other. These two men in the original post sound like they need anger management classes

Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
I agree completely that the email sent in regards to the Christmas lights was very offensive, to call someone a "lazy ass" is not the way to handle a situation and since when did clear icicle lights become tacky and redneck - wow! i better start being careful with what I hang up in my own house. Used to be that we considered the flashing colored lights and blow up santas as tacky!

and who the heck gives a da** (pardon my french) but are there not more important things to worry about? seriously people!!! and since when did parking behind your driveway in such a way that does not and has not ever impeded neighbors and emergency vehicles become illegal? Sheesh! you people scare me, i am glad I don't live in your neighborhoods

NeedMojo, i feel for ya man, I really do

Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
We do that anyway. The HOA in our neighborhood doesn't change our relationship with our neighbors.

For someone who hasn't actually lived with an HOA, you seem to have a lot of very strong (and in my experience, inaccurate) opinions.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post

If there were no HOA, you would probably approach eacother and ask politely or put a note on the window of the cars to not leave their cars there at night

If there were no HOA, you would have probably found the solution already

If there were no HOA, you would not become obsessed with what others do or don't, what they can do or can't, what they should do or should not,

If there were no HOA, then you would be happier

To summarise, most HOA are just upsetting people and their privacy.
If there were no HOA and you couldn't work things out face to face you would have ZERO way of resolving the issue short of some sort of violence.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM

293 posts, read 901,859 times
No I admit, I kind of feel myself become softer on the issue of HOA. After all, they seem to be fun, always something happening there. I am becoming less reluctant, but some really are very expensive...

I also agree that it might not be easy to resolve violence with a particular neighbour if every one is scared by that same neighbour and if there is no HOA.

It's true I have no experience of HOA, my negative thoughts about these were about them limiting me having a pink or yellow house, not about the other stuff that can promote a healthy neighbourhing relationship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: