Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:41 PM

122 posts, read 348,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Here, click on this link and click on the crimes you care about the most...hit refresh.....it will give you a clear and present understanding of what to avoid in Atlanta.....Marietta Street is what we lovingly refer to as the DMZ (demilitarized zone)....it's the border...go South of that at your own peril...espcially after dark...it's juuuuuuuust outside of the Bobbie's reach if they still exist....the folks like to pick off the unsuspecting at that point.....

Atlanta Police Department | Crime Map Page (http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=map - broken link)

Depending on where you go off Marietta Street, will dictate precisely how much panhandling you will endure. From CNN to Peachtree, picks up exponentially as you head to the intersection of Peachtree, continues on East through Edgewood to the freeway and 5 blocks South or North pretty much the same....carry lots of change.

Give special attention to those dots that are yellow and Red. Those represent violent assaults and murders respectively. Too much protein in their diets if you ask me but, most of the crimes revolve around larceny. So, if you are a free-willing I-Pod sort of guy/gal, might want to tone that down a bit. Also, might want to keep the Sprint 4-G phone under wraps. Especially if you want to keep it. Just a thought.

P.S. Here's another link....it will show you the stats from 2007....before the economy tanked sooooooo, they have probably gotten worse....good news is that Atlanta's murder rate was number 2! Just eclipsed by Chamblee and Jonesboro...go figure.....

Atlanta Georgia Crime | Atlanta Crime Statistics | Atlanta Crime Rate | Peachtree City - Safest Atlanta Community (http://www.wesellptc.com/crime.html - broken link)

Good luck!
This is excellent information - thanks so much. While it seems the crime is most in the center of the map, just under 1500 total crimes for the 2 weeks period of 10/10 - 10/24 in a city of millions doesn't seem as horrific as some posts make it seem. Of course, I would feel differently if I were the victim. However, it does seem the major crime is vehicle larceny, rather a lesson in don't leave "stuff" in your car kind of thing.

at any rate, thanks for the link - it's super helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 AM

106 posts, read 232,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Here, click on this link and click on the crimes you care about the most...hit refresh.....it will give you a clear and present understanding of what to avoid in Atlanta.....Marietta Street is what we lovingly refer to as the DMZ (demilitarized zone)....it's the border...go South of that at your own peril...espcially after dark...it's juuuuuuuust outside of the Bobbie's reach if they still exist....the folks like to pick off the unsuspecting at that point.....

Atlanta Police Department | Crime Map Page (http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=map - broken link)

Depending on where you go off Marietta Street, will dictate precisely how much panhandling you will endure. From CNN to Peachtree, picks up exponentially as you head to the intersection of Peachtree, continues on East through Edgewood to the freeway and 5 blocks South or North pretty much the same....carry lots of change.

Give special attention to those dots that are yellow and Red. Those represent violent assaults and murders respectively. Too much protein in their diets if you ask me but, most of the crimes revolve around larceny. So, if you are a free-willing I-Pod sort of guy/gal, might want to tone that down a bit. Also, might want to keep the Sprint 4-G phone under wraps. Especially if you want to keep it. Just a thought.

P.S. Here's another link....it will show you the stats from 2007....before the economy tanked sooooooo, they have probably gotten worse....good news is that Atlanta's murder rate was number 2! Just eclipsed by Chamblee and Jonesboro...go figure.....

Atlanta Georgia Crime | Atlanta Crime Statistics | Atlanta Crime Rate | Peachtree City - Safest Atlanta Community (http://www.wesellptc.com/crime.html - broken link)

Good luck!

I really cracked up reading your advice on the valuables and the other stuff, it sounds like you've got some stories. But it is true, in my opinion, it's better to under-dress and not flash your value in this city, during these times. Not saying you can't, you can, but I always learned from way back, it's better to make yourself a small target when your always on the move in a city. Always make yourself a small target, but always be ready to make yourself a big threat if the situation happens to rise.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Default A bit more common sense, a bit more logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
I really cracked up reading your advice on the valuables and the other stuff, it sounds like you've got some stories. But it is true, in my opinion, it's better to under-dress and not flash your value in this city, during these times. Not saying you can't, you can, but I always learned from way back, it's better to make yourself a small target when your always on the move in a city. Always make yourself a small target, but always be ready to make yourself a big threat if the situation happens to rise.
Yeah, I kind of get a kick out of the obvious too from time to time....the lady who carries 3 bags festooned with China's latest on each arm as she fumbles with her key fob to the latest you-pick-the-Lexus-Mercedes Benz model, with cell phone balanced precariously on shouler and cheek and wonders why she ever ended up on a Milk carton...

Have you seen me?

Keeeerist, it makes ME want to go up and slap the shiite out her myself.....a repetitive back and forth with an open hand ought to do it but, you know, some just neeeeever get the message.

Common sense, bit of logic. Walk around with glowing electronic tags is only sure to bring the sharks everyone so vehemently denounces.....it's been like this since I was a kid and I'm sure it was the same hundreds of years ago....don't act like a target and you probably won't end up being one????? Juuuuuuuuuust a thought.....

Also, if you see the tide of dew rags coming at you adorned with yards and yards of denim necessary (apparently nowadays anyway...) to make up one pair of jeans, step wiiiiiiide......going armed never hurts but, God help you if you ever have to tack someone to the sidewalk....lots and lots of legal issues to follow.....

So long as you stay away from say, everything below Mid-Town you probably have cut your chances of an "incident" in half, maybe more. Can't wait until the responses that come back on this one!

Sure, you can get clipped anyway but, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say downtown is to crime what Falujah is to Iraq....just a bit worse than most. Fair enough?

If I were wrong, why do all the stats and morgue keep proving me.....right???

Suburbs represent!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
This is excellent information - thanks so much. While it seems the crime is most in the center of the map, just under 1500 total crimes for the 2 weeks period of 10/10 - 10/24 in a city of millions doesn't seem as horrific as some posts make it seem. Of course, I would feel differently if I were the victim. However, it does seem the major crime is vehicle larceny, rather a lesson in don't leave "stuff" in your car kind of thing.

at any rate, thanks for the link - it's super helpful.
Atlanta is a city of 600,000 tops. Most of the rest of the metro is not included in those crime stats.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Default Well, it's Atlanta we are talking about soooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Atlanta is a city of 600,000 tops. Most of the rest of the metro is not included in those crime stats.
The only issue with that comment is that 1,500 crimes were committed with a population of 600,000. To be sure, quite a few of those are from the suburbs soooooo, the stat is worse than one might think.

Instead of using 1,500 crimes against the metro of 4.2 million people, it becomes more of an eyebrow raiser with the city direct.

The suburbs have their share too. Gwinnett was recently busy rounding up a huge amount of illegals involved in Meth distribution and manufacturing. Apparently, the same reasons that make Atlanta a transportation hubs for durable and non-durable goods now include the non-durable good, meth.

Hey, Delta is ready when you are and with Air-tran, there is noooooo stopping you. So the next time you that come from the more warmer clime, Mexico, travel back in the spring, go Delta, and leave the hauling to them!

It should ensure you are rested up before you rent that many a non-descript home in Gwinnett prior to the next leg on your products journey!!!

To be fair, other suburbs have issues to. For awhile, Ben Hill was the home of the exploding Meth lab. They never met an old 3/2/2 Brick home they didn't like.....well, they were slated for demolition anyway so I guess this expedited the process.

Murders and assaults do find there way into most suburbs but, the further you go, the more of a headline it is due to the lower rate of incidence.

Bad neighborhoods? Sure, we got em'. Just like every place else. And just like every place else, we tend to have more in town than out. All in all, I would say that human pinball is practiced more regularly in the West End than anywhere else. I believe that precinct and the zip code 30318 "leads the charge" for homicides per capita.

Kind of takes the thrill out of Felini's Pizza after dark. Nothing kills the enjoyment of a large pie like, "hey honey, I'll go get the car....cover me!!!".

Sigh.......

Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 PM

70 posts, read 96,191 times
Default Did I miss something??

Ok did I miss something? First of all unfortanely for me I have been in Atlanta all my life. (Never flew on a plane, train) So I know my city. In the 80's when "CRack" came all neighbors where suspect. In the 90's that when they start showing there colors. South Atlanta(near zoo atlanta and turner field) where like new jack city! Bankhead and further the west where more like wATTS or Compton(minus the gangs) and east atlanta (memorial dr. columia dr) was called "lil vietnam" ! So right at around 1994 everyone fled to Clayton, Henry, Cobb and Newton. Those counties where all more like Truman show(movie with Jim carey) Then stardted tearing down all the projects(ghettos) So they all just scattred(they were given sec8 to move in a house. Guess where they moved to. Right! 2003 it was all downhill. Fastforward to now. Other than that you are fair game to high crime. I hope this helps anyone who is looking to move near Atlanta. Oh and please don't think because you move to buckhead midtown etc. you are immune. Moving there is saying "hi! i have money! come rob me blind. If you really want to feel safe you will have to move out. like Cherokee,Forsyth,paulding an such. Just know these counties are all of an hour(i mean on the freeway!) away from the city.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,090 times
bankhead is hood so is simpson rd

Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
2013 - I am looking moving on the west side - yes I said it west side of Atlanta - my job is moving me to south Marietta - any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 671 times
No it’s not a joke. Atlanta is bad news. Bad. We’ve been here for 5 years. We moved here in 2016 and feel we made a huge mistake. The crime is moving to the suburbs. Peachtree Corners is crime filled. Soon Johns Creek and Alpharetta, the last two places considered safe, will officially be ruined.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 671 times
Dyward ... I’d move to Johns Creek or Alpharetta and travel to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta