Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,883 times

Advertisements

We are moving into our new townhome (DeKalb Co.) next week. The builder said we need to choose one of the many gas companies available. Does anyone have any low-cost recommendations?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,193 times
I think they're all pretty comparable because they all get their gas from Atlanta Gas Light....

Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Georgia Natural Gas and Scana have both ripped off their long-term customers in the past year or two. There have been some recent articles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It turns out I have been paying GNG about $50 a month more I would have been paying at the newer-customer rates. What a way to reward customer loyalty! The settlement GNG has agreed to will award us $25 (that's total, not per month) if we remain as GNG customers. Boy, what an incentive to stay with GNG ... not.

I picked Fireside Natural Gas from the PSC website and ordered a change of marketer. It will take effect April 1, so I have no experience with Fireside to share, so far.

Here's the website you need to get the available info on gas marketers, and make your choice: Georgia Public Service Commission

Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Went with Walton a couple of years ago.
They had the lowest per/therm rate at the time.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:03 PM

Can you choose Walton if you live in DeKalb???? I thought your onely choices were one of the Atlanta Gas Light distributers like Scana or Georgia Natural Gas??

Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Can you choose Walton if you live in DeKalb???? I thought your onely choices were one of the Atlanta Gas Light distributers like Scana or Georgia Natural Gas??
This map seems to say DeKalb Co is eligible:

WaltonEMC Natural Gas (http://www.waltonemcnaturalgas.com/service_area.html - broken link)

Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM

OK, then. I just wasn't sure. DeKalb is pretty big so I didn't know if maybe only parts of it were eligible, etc.

I lived in Gwinnett for a while and used Jackson EMC...

Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Coweta-Fayette has had the cheapest rates (for variable rate, standard plan) most recently, according to the price charts here: http://www.psc.state.ga.us/gas/pricecard.asp

When I picked Fireside, earlier this month, I assumed Coweta-Fayette was only available to people in those counties. I've since realized that's not true. However, Fireside has been consistently cheap for months, it seems, and has pricing very close to C-F now, so I'm not unhappy with my choice.

Walton (mentioned by somebody, above) has not been cheapest lately. I suppose which-is-cheapest varies from year to year. I, like pless, thought all the providers were much-of-a-muchness and didn't worry about checking up, until the recent AJC expose. When I got our our actual bills and checked, I discovered we've been paying an extra $50 a month to GNG this winter (the difference between the price per therm they've been charging us, and what they've been charging newer customers). That really made me pay attention.

We started out with GNG because they were the "provider of last resort" at the time we moved here. Since we were coming from Canada, we hadn't previously had US SSNs and were therefore unknown to the US credit bureaus. The US credit system is very egalitarian. It treats new arrivals, whether middle-class Canadians or penniless third-world refugees, exactly the same, i.e. as indigents.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,092 times
Default MX nows offers 3-year fixed rates

You need to enroll with MX through a direct sales rep to get the fixed rates, but it provides "peace of mind" in a volatile market, much like having a fixed rate mortgage does.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Georgia Natural Gas and Scana have both ripped off their long-term customers in the past year or two. There have been some recent articles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It turns out I have been paying GNG about $50 a month more I would have been paying at the newer-customer rates. What a way to reward customer loyalty! The settlement GNG has agreed to will award us $25 (that's total, not per month) if we remain as GNG customers. Boy, what an incentive to stay with GNG ... not.

I picked Fireside Natural Gas from the PSC website and ordered a change of marketer. It will take effect April 1, so I have no experience with Fireside to share, so far.

Here's the website you need to get the available info on gas marketers, and make your choice: Georgia Public Service Commission

Thanks for the address.

I've read one very good AJC article which explained the current natural gas market forces and conditions. I can't recall the exact day or date of this article, but for some reason I have in my mind that it was in either a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday paper earlier this month.

The article stressed that this summer's sky-high prices are an aberration, and are not reflective of past pricing trends and patterns. I guess natural gas prices tend to be very cyclical with higher prices during the winter months, and lower prices during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: