Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 PM

47 posts, read 224,760 times

Advertisements

I have a friend visiting from out of state, and I'd like to come up with some ideas for things to do for a weekend.

1. Braves game
2. Aquarium
3. Zoo
4. Misc bars/restaurants
5. CNN

What other ideas have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 PM

663 posts, read 1,866,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post
I have a friend visiting from out of state, and I'd like to come up with some ideas for things to do for a weekend.

1. Braves game
2. Aquarium
3. Zoo
4. Misc bars/restaurants
5. CNN

I mean, if he's visiting from Mississippi or Kansas or somewhere he might be overwhelmed and thrilled by all of this. If he's from NY/NJ area, he'll be bored here, no matter what, so it depends ......

Walking around Midtown/Piedmont Park is as good as gets in Atlanta ....

Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 AM

47 posts, read 224,760 times
She's moved around a bit, but presently hails from a smaller city than Atlanta.

Any specific destinations in Midtown / Piedmont Park, or just aimlessly wandering around?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 AM

67 posts, read 272,919 times
Wow, somebody wants ideas for a visitor and instead gets assaulted for not living in NYC. Typical city-data forum thread. You might see what's at the High..... there has been a year long rotating Louvre exhibit, which you will not find anywhere outside the Louvre itself - NOT EVEN IN NYC. That's right, a major cultural arts exhibit ONLY IN ATLANTA. We are also getting China's terra cotta army exhibit but I don't think its here yet.

Last edited by straighttalker75; 09-05-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 AM

697 posts, read 3,025,058 times
I generally make it a point to take out-of-town visitors to the Atlanta History Center, and it invariably ends up being their favorite activity of the things we've done by the time they leave. In addition to lots of outstanding permanent exhibits on the general history of Atlanta, the Civil War, Bobby Jones, and the 1996 Olympic Games (my kids' favorite), the grounds of the Center and the Tullie Smith Farm and Swan House are well worth the time. It's one place that's unique to Atlanta, unlike many of the other attractions in the area that are perfectly acceptable but just like similar attractions elsewhere.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 AM

263 posts, read 1,133,689 times
Atlanta History Center
The King Center
The Cyclorama
Rhodes Hall
Margaret Mitchell House
High Museum
Carlos Museum
CNN
World of Coca Cola
Georgia Aquarium
Stone Mountain
Atlanta Zoo
The Botanical Gardens
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
The Atlanta Contemporary Art Center
Puppetry Arts center (kids)
Children’s Musuem
Castleberry Hill Art District
Centennial Park
Six Flags
White Water

Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM

308 posts, read 1,039,184 times
I'd say Piedmont Park and then eat at Park Tavern. You could go then go walk around Va Hi, maybe Martinis and Imax.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post

1. Braves game
2. Aquarium
3. Zoo
4. Misc bars/restaurants
5. CNN

Well heck, if it's just a weekend, your own list pretty much fills it up. LOL

Unless they're a news junkie geek though, I dunno if the CNN tour is really THAT exciting. If they're the "Zen" type, go to the Botanical Gardens. Stone Mountain (Park, not town) is a good suggestion as someone else has already said, but you're talking about almost a full day just for that to get it all in.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,447,146 times
I generally thrill visitors when I would take them to the Sun Dial atop the Peachtree Westin, but I don't know if that's open now following the tornado damage it suffered last spring. I also like to let them hang out at Atlantic Station and Piedmont Park. But like the previous poster stated, they may find that exhilerating if they are from a smaller town but may be underwhelmed if they are from say NY or Chicago.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,431,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I mean, if he's visiting from Mississippi or Kansas or somewhere he might be overwhelmed and thrilled by all of this. If he's from NY/NJ area, he'll be bored here, no matter what, so it depends ......

Walking around Midtown/Piedmont Park is as good as gets in Atlanta ....

So untrue. Me being from NYC originally, find Atlanta very interesting. Everytime I go there even when I spend a week, there is not enough time for me to do what I want to do. As Atlantagreg mentioned, if it's only a weekend, the 5 things you mentioned should be enough. It also depends on what type of person he/she is (ie, party type, intellectual, historically inclined, sports fanatic, etc)..You get my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta