Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 10,178 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 37y/o female disgusted with California anymore....I want to move back to the East and Atlanta has always intrigued me.

I am athletic: swim, bike and run....so i'm looking to move to a town where i can do this most of the year....at least

i am also interested in finding a nice guy as well too....Calfornia guys are too shallow...

Where do I start? any good areas to look for a place?

I have a job that I can work in any state.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crickncosmo View Post
Hi I'm a 37y/o female disgusted with California anymore....I want to move back to the East and Atlanta has always intrigued me.

I am athletic: swim, bike and run....so i'm looking to move to a town where i can do this most of the year....at least

i am also interested in finding a nice guy as well too....Calfornia guys are too shallow...

thanks!
ITP=Inside the Perimeter/285 (OTP=Outside the Perimeter)

The NE part of Atlanta sounds like it might offer much of what you seek. Many young professionals living in the area and numerous organizations for running, cycling, swimming and other sports.

The City of Decatur should go on your list. 10/15 minutes east of downtown Atlanta. Emory University, Agnes Scott College are located in this area.
City of Decatur, GA

What sort of a home do you desire? Prefer to rent or own?

Midtown/VA Highland/Candler Park>>>
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...highlands.html

North of the Intown/Midtown area there are older neighbhorhoods with 50/60's ranch style homes ranging in price from $250,000 to over $400,000.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 AM

i have a house in SD that i will rent out and so i will probably rent for a while...i have a dog, so looking for dog-friendly house or condo

Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
i have a house in SD that i will rent out and so i will probably rent for a while...i have a dog, so looking for dog-friendly house or condo
I think all of the areas I previously mentioned would be suitable.

If you are interested in a 2/3 BDR with 1 or 2 BA 50/60's ranch type houses there are several for rent now in the area around North Druid Hills/Executive Park/Toco Hill from $1,000 to $1500/mo. Lots around 1/3 to 1/2 acre.

I live in the Briarcliff Heights neighborhood and we are particularly dog-friendly. Briarcliff Rd/North Druid Hills. The Mason Mill Dog Park is also nearby.

Many in Atlanta are involved in animal rescue and you can meet people this way.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:30 PM

thanks!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,992 times
Move to Chattanooga which is only 1.5 hr drive to Atlanta. Check out why they call it the scenic city. If you love outdoor activities like running, biking, hiking, hangliding, kayaking, caving, etc... All of which I have done in Chatt. You will love it. Since you're from CA, cost of living here will seem like a dream to you. haha

2200 sq ft one level home for $225K in very nice area.

Last edited by financelife; 09-19-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 02:58 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:

thanks!
Well, you can't swim in Atlanta from October-April, unless you do it indoors. Maybe you should try looking at a warmer climate, such as Florida.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,319 times
Quote:
Hi I'm a 37y/o female disgusted with California anymore....I want to move back to the East and Atlanta has always intrigued me. I am athletic: swim, bike and run....so i'm looking to move to a town where i can do this most of the year....at least
i am also interested in finding a nice guy as well too....Calfornia guys are too shallow...Where do I start? any good areas to look for a place? I have a job that I can work in any state. thanks!
Where may I ask are you coming from in California? And do you mind letting [me] know why you are disgusted? If that is NOT too personal.

CA native, born Los Angeles ... raised San Luis Obispo & San Francisco. Been in Atlanta since Jul91, own two homes ... one in the City of Atlanta 30306, the other in East Cobb 30066. USC/Pepperdine Grad BA/MBA.

I'm going to be magnaminous and give you the suggestion for you to seriously engage yourself with introspection as to realistic goals and expectations. No place will accomodate many things that you perhaps are used to (or will take for granted when your gone) ... the "novelty" of someplace new will wear off.

Very, very quickly.

Please come visit Metro Atlanta (or anyplace else) BEFORE you make any decisions and thinking the grass is "greener" ... only because of lower cost of living. That my dear stranger, comes with a great deal of "hidden" costs. You very well may get over your feelings of "disgust" quite readily and easily.

And like Dorothy said, "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard".

Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
Move to Chattanooga which is only 1.5 hr drive to Atlanta. Check out why they call it the scenic city. If you love outdoor activities like running, biking, hiking, hangliding, kayaking, caving, etc... All of which I have done in Chatt. You will love it. Since you're from CA, cost of living here will seem like a dream to you. haha
2200 sq ft one level home for $225K in very nice area.
I totally agree that CHA is a lovely place - they've done tremendously renovating downtown and surrounding areas.

However I must say that lower cost of living can be a "hidden" cost nightmare when it comes to culture shock. Some people never recover or acclimate to suroundings after living on the West Coast.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM

I am living in San Diego. I have relatives in Baltimore and Pittsburgh and have relished the thought of living in the 'south".
What has bothered me in San diego that I didn't find so bothersome before "back East" was the commitment level of the Men here! Young or older....and I've been in the dating pool --literally---here in SD for Years....

Same old story different guy....I am here in San Diego for fun---no commitment, no problem! I don't want anything serious. I don't want to get married...i just want to surf and maybe work. Even the professional men here are lured by the sun....East coast men seem to want to have a family and kids. Here it is just a burden or an afterthought.

When I moved to California 15 yrs. ago...there were also a great deal of "hidden" costs ....too...they are everywhere. Extra fees here, there, stupid laws.....I got over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: