Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgreen View Post
Thanks very much for your input. It looks like one of us will have to face the horrible commute.
Seriously, the Briarcliff Corridor option bears some investigation. I know that you are hearing some negative feedback about DeKalb County Schools (some of it merited), but the Sagamore Elementary/Henderson Middle/Lakeside High cluster is considered by many to be a good one. Plus, the neighborhoods are very family-oriented...lots of swim/tennis clubs, organized activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
I don't know which part of Smyrna your DH will need to access but in parts of North DeKalb-Fulton-Cobb county there are routes that are better than others. Dunwoody is about as equi-distance as possible--and not very good for either of you, not as bad as some commutes though. Someone once wanted to find a mid point between Snellville and Smyrna or Alpharetta--not sure there is one.

Those that know 'Roswell Rd' --a main thoroughfare and an old one can probably give you better advice. Roads like Northside Drive, Riverside Drive and others might be better than the interstate.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seriously, the Briarcliff Corridor option bears some investigation. I know that you are hearing some negative feedback about DeKalb County Schools (some of it merited), but the Sagamore Elementary/Henderson Middle/Lakeside High cluster is considered by many to be a good one. Plus, the neighborhoods are very family-oriented...lots of swim/tennis clubs, organized activities.
Yes, the Oak Grove/Lakeside area is a good place to live and the community will support the schools whatever happens.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
Default Housing in Smyrna

I'm renting my home in Smyrna, which meets your qualifications except for an equal commute. It is a luxurious home - 4 bed/4 bath with top of the line upgrades and a finished basement. It's located in a brand new development filled with families and working professionals.

Does this sound like it might work for you?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 40,451 times
It all depends on what your pricepoint is. I grew up off clairmont rd and am very farmiliar with that area. There are many neighborhoods that would put you closer on driving times. If you looked around South dekalb it would be a 15 min ride for you by taking 285 to highway 78 to clairmont rd. and your husband could jump on highway 20 and tak it straight across town. He would probably be looking at a 30 min drive but in atlanta terms that is not bad. Let me know if you need any help directing you to some communities. I am very farmiliar with the area.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM

If you looked around South dekalb it would be a 15 min ride for you by taking 285 to highway 78 to clairmont rd. and your husband could jump on highway 20 and tak it straight across town. He would probably be looking at a 30 min drive

It takes me much longer than 15 minutes to travel from Memorial Drive to Clairmont Rd--anyway I choose.

As for 30 minutes to Smyrna from I20--I just don't believe it.

I've lived in diifferent parts of the city and traveled to and fro for too many decades and it just takes longer now. It generally takes me the 'proverbial 30 minutes' to navigate my part of the Emory Corridor.

I hope the OP can find a good realtor.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM

16 posts, read 40,451 times
Well I think I can shorten your trip. If you take memorial drive and get on 285 north 2 exits and get off at highway78 it takes you straight to clairmont road. Try that route sometime. I drive it most days and it never fails. But I will agree with you that driving in atlanta has goten more difficult. I was just mearly suggesting a good midway point for the op and south dekalb is right there.
Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Well I think I can shorten your trip. If you take memorial drive and get on 285 north 2 exits and get off at highway78 it takes you straight to clairmont road. Try that route sometime. I drive it most days and it never fails. But I will agree with you that driving in atlanta has goten more difficult. I was just mearly suggesting a good midway point for the op and south dekalb is right there.
Good Luck!
I've made that trip many times.
After exiting 78 then you can choose N. Druid Hills or Lawrenceville Hwy. Sometimes traffic is light and it moves and more frequently there are 'problems'.

I hope the OP has good luck. 30 years ago it was not a serious problem to drive across Atlanta in 30 minutes.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
It all depends on what your pricepoint is. I grew up off clairmont rd and am very farmiliar with that area. There are many neighborhoods that would put you closer on driving times. If you looked around South dekalb it would be a 15 min ride for you by taking 285 to highway 78 to clairmont rd. and your husband could jump on highway 20 and tak it straight across town. He would probably be looking at a 30 min drive but in atlanta terms that is not bad. Let me know if you need any help directing you to some communities. I am very farmiliar with the area.
This does not sound like reality. I live in the city of Decatur; why in the world would I get anywhere near 20, 285 or 78 to get to Smyrna? Conyers or Snellville, maybe...which for the benefit of the OP is in the opposite directioin.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This does not sound like reality. I live in the city of Decatur; why in the world would I get anywhere near 20, 285 or 78 to get to Smyrna? Conyers or Snellville, maybe...which for the benefit of the OP is in the opposite directioin.

The OP will be working on Clairmont Rd and her DH in Smyrna.

As I understood this suggestion--he implied that from somewhere in So DeKalb you could take I285/78 and reach Clairmont in 15 minutes. In my experience, which is considerable--Groan--this would be Rare.

As for driving from So DeKalb to Smyrna in 30 minutes on I20--only in your dreams, according to my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta