Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
OH MY GOD IT TOOK YOU THAT LONG TO REALIZE THAT!?!?!?

geesh.

i'd say its time for a recap, shall we?

here's are some excerpts from me, in one place, so you can follow more closely.

the one that started it all:

sorry to have grouped all these here, but i had to get them in one spot where we could look at it and question, at exactly what point did deaconj get so pissed?

why can't we just have a conversation where you say, "oh well you should go to (this place) because its really nice and you would enjoy it on your next visit" instead of "f-you my town rocks; go away if you don't like it". you can't set me straight with words, you gotta show it to me! we're all just here to learn. now, tell me more about these diamonds in the rough; i like to know more about our state.
southgeorgia, I appreciate your approach to things. Your maturity during this matter says a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
southgeorgia, I appreciate your approach to things. Your maturity during this matter says a lot.
I do too. After reading the entire post I was like DAMN DEAC CALM DOWN;she didn't say YOUR house stinks! But I have learn that people hear see and think what they want and they often see through their bias eyes and most of the information they receive is filtered through their own emotional attachments and stuff. Oh well what the hell.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Oh yes, he's been nothing but mature... Did you read the discussion? His knowledge of the area is from a drive-by, and it sounds like that was in Jonesboro/Clayton County, yet he has made a list of negative judgements about everything south of Downtown Atlanta. It's not very mature to form an opinion of something he knows very little about, and close his mind to learning any new information that might elevate his opinion - or even acknowledge that there is more information at all.

I can assure you that if the positions were reversed, I would be open to his knowledge and experience of the area and not assume that his standards are lower than mine. I'm not an expert on many things, but I have some expertise on what has been my side of Atlanta for 14 years.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh yes, he's been nothing but mature... Did you read the discussion? His knowledge of the area is from a drive-by, and it sounds like that was in Jonesboro/Clayton County, yet he has made a list of negative judgements about everything south of Downtown Atlanta. It's not very mature to form an opinion of something he knows very little about, and close his mind to learning any new information that might elevate his opinion - or even acknowledge that there is more information at all.

I can assure you that if the positions were reversed, I would be open to his knowledge and experience of the area and not assume that his standards are lower than mine. I'm not an expert on many things, but I have some expertise on what has been my side of Atlanta for 14 years.

part of me wants to try to explain my position further, but i've come to the conclusion that there's no point. you obviously didn't fully read or understand my posts. i can't argue with someone who doesn't even know what they're arguing about.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
The southside doesn't look that bad. There are some neighborhoods that look old and need restoring, but it isn't Detroit. I mean does this really look bad
http://goo.gl/maps/ia4mI

http://goo.gl/maps/mcdmA

http://goo.gl/maps/lhnaO

http://goo.gl/maps/2x9H7

http://goo.gl/maps/dcquU

Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
A good portion of Atlanta's residents live here, and it doesn't have a lot to offer. Most of the decent shopping is in Buckhead, and I know a lot of them are not willing to drive about 10 miles to shop.
BLACK people.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM

179 posts, read 378,693 times
I agree with both Deacon and south Georgia, they are both passionate on there stance and I agree with both. From my perspective, it would seem that south atlanta has a dominance of minority groups present and unfourtunately sometimes in the scope of business and marketing they look at that as "high risk" areas to start or have a business as opposed to places like buckhead which are more diversified. On the other hand, like deacon said there are great areas where businesses and builders have taken notice of and see an opportunity for growth and development because there is an overall need. Its not something you can see in a simple ride through or causal visit. Neither of you are wrong. Stop fighting and go to bed old men.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Well if I was wanting to build a big development I would do it south of downtown because my costs will be way lower, much less traffic, and far less competition. I could make a fortune of it and really could care less if some avoid it because the black to white ratio is higher.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
South Atlanta has a lot of economically depressed areas that would otherwise be stellar neighborhoods.

Money can't fix all problems, but it would certainly solve 95% of the issues with trying to live in and around south Atlanta. A lot of people (like myself) simply do not consider it because of the dearth of jobs in the area that pay well for educated workers.

It would be a tricky choice anyone live in south Atlanta if they had to work in Norcross or Dunwoody? That downtown connector is no joke!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Old thread, but I honestly don't think the southside is overlooked. There is development there and there are beautiful neighborhoods and subdivisions in the southern portions of the metro along with the city of Atlanta.

I personally feel that too many people like to down it because they for one are ignorant of what is actually there and two, they put a negative racial and socioeconomic stereotype of that portion of town and that stereotype just remains even though, like number one, in many ways it is just ignorant.

I also feel that in regards to the northern portions of the city, they were historically the most wealthy, especially in regards to Buckhead so the socioeconomics of that area, due to legacy, will always be greater than the southern portion which was developed at a later time and caters more to working and middle class people.

FWIW, I live on the NW side of town in a bad area, but I have a plethora of developments within 5 miles of me. And there is plenty of retail establishments on the southside on Cascase and on Campcreek and even in between. So the perception that there is nothing but poverty stricken black people is false.

One also has to take into consideration that not everyone likes or wants to live in Midtown or Buckhead or other areas that many posters here see as "desirable." Desirability is based upon the perceptions of the individual. To me a lot of things seen as desirable are just "shops and restaurants." Which is funny to me. I don't really care to be around shops and restaurants. If I want to shop, I have a car and will go shopping. If I want to go to a restaurant, I'll go to whatever place I wants, because as stated, I have a car. Most of the people I know who live in southwest Atlanta, they have most of the things they need in their area, if they want to go shopping in Buckhead though, then they hop in the car and go, no problem. They can enjoy said shop yet live in a large home without the cost of the same home in Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta