Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM

52 posts, read 211,927 times

Advertisements

Stats:
  • Married,
  • Professional,
  • with 3 kids (10 yr, 5 yr, and 5mths old)
  • Seeking home <$300k
  • Fave builders: Silver Creek and Legacy
  • What parts of Powder Creek are considere most/least desireable?
  • Schools (Elem, Middle, and HS)???
Diversity...issues...growth...history???
Commute to ATL and around overall metro?
Are the homes in Powder Springs appreciating healthily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEsquire View Post
Are the homes in Powder Springs appreciating healthily?
I don't live in Powder Springs, but I do live nearby. One of the mods (AtlantaGreg30127) has lived there for years, and I'm sure he can give you a more complete response.

I just wanted to let you know that virtually NO homes are appreciating in Cobb County at this point. Cobb values are not seeing the steep declines of some other parts of the metro area or other states like Florida, but most have depreciated around 10% in the last 12 to 18 months, with some homes coming down more. Outlook is flat or more depreciation with a buyer's market for the next year or two.

McEachern is the local high school, and from what I've heard it's middle of the road....not great but not terrible.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
If you're talking inside the town of Powder Springs, then here is a map that shows where a fair chunk of the crime happens within the town limits (and slightly out of)...

badPS.jpg photo - powdersprings photos at pbase.com

I would not buy a home that's on any of those streets (just my opinion).

Overall it's a bedroom community of Atlanta that tries to have a hometown feel to it. Until a few years ago it was predominately White, rural, "country", etc. With Atlanta's growth, the influx of immigrants, and road improvements, the area is growing rapidly. Some of it is good, some not. Racism isn't as prevalent as some would have you believe, but there is a bit of CULTURAL tension lately, as for whatever reason, we're getting a lot of people from places like Jamaica, Haiti, Kenya, etc. moving into the West Cobb/East Paulding areas. Skin color aside, the cultural and attitude differences between some of these folks and the locals (white AND black) are not exactly mixing well, so if you have a heavy "island accent", you might expect a mental wall popping up between you and the locals until you prove you're not going to come at them with an attitude. Color isn't a problem - cultures can be, depending on the culture. So it's not Mayberry, but it's not NYC either.

There's more gang activity and crime than there was a few years ago, but there's more in the way of housing and shopping available too, and housing is typically cheaper here than in some other metro areas. In other words, it's gone downhill a lot from where it used to be, but, there are far worse places you could live, too. You won't have a problem finding a home in that price range.

School ratings: Powder Springs Schools - Powder Springs Georgia School Ratings - Public and Private

Some people are moving North of Powder Springs to the Hillgrove school district in favor of it. Others can comment on that.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
McEachern was the cream of the crop when I was in HS. So sad it went so far down hill, so quickly. Although, then all you had was McEachern and N.C. in the area. Harrison came during. Now there's quite a few others that I couldn't name, but I know there's been some controversy over school lines.

My mom used to work at Tapp Middle and I used to race BMX at Wild Horse Creek Park.

I think Greg has hit it on the head, but couldn't say for sure.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Stats:
  • Fave builders: Silver Creek and Legacy
Why?
Of all the builders in the Atlanta area- why would they be your "fave"?
Remember theres more to a house than sq/ft per $$.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 24,716 times
If Powder Springs will be your end choice, then I recommend the areas near or in west Marietta that are in the Still/Lovinggood/Hilgrove schools which include some Powder Springs & marietta residents. Great school district and a little east of that is the Due West area w/ great schools.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't live in Powder Springs, but I do live nearby. One of the mods (AtlantaGreg30127) has lived there for years, and I'm sure he can give you a more complete response.

I just wanted to let you know that virtually NO homes are appreciating in Cobb County at this point. Cobb values are not seeing the steep declines of some other parts of the metro area or other states like Florida, but most have depreciated around 10% in the last 12 to 18 months, with some homes coming down more. Outlook is flat or more depreciation with a buyer's market for the next year or two.

McEachern is the local high school, and from what I've heard it's middle of the road....not great but not terrible.
Thank you for the tid bit about the lack of depreciation in Cobb.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you're talking inside the town of Powder Springs, then here is a map that shows where a fair chunk of the crime happens within the town limits (and slightly out of)...

badPS.jpg photo - powdersprings photos at pbase.com

I would not buy a home that's on any of those streets (just my opinion).

Overall it's a bedroom community of Atlanta that tries to have a hometown feel to it. Until a few years ago it was predominately White, rural, "country", etc. With Atlanta's growth, the influx of immigrants, and road improvements, the area is growing rapidly. Some of it is good, some not. Racism isn't as prevalent as some would have you believe, but there is a bit of CULTURAL tension lately, as for whatever reason, we're getting a lot of people from places like Jamaica, Haiti, Kenya, etc. moving into the West Cobb/East Paulding areas. Skin color aside, the cultural and attitude differences between some of these folks and the locals (white AND black) are not exactly mixing well, so if you have a heavy "island accent", you might expect a mental wall popping up between you and the locals until you prove you're not going to come at them with an attitude. Color isn't a problem - cultures can be, depending on the culture. So it's not Mayberry, but it's not NYC either.

There's more gang activity and crime than there was a few years ago, but there's more in the way of housing and shopping available too, and housing is typically cheaper here than in some other metro areas. In other words, it's gone downhill a lot from where it used to be, but, there are far worse places you could live, too. You won't have a problem finding a home in that price range.

School ratings: Powder Springs Schools - Powder Springs Georgia School Ratings - Public and Private

Some people are moving North of Powder Springs to the Hillgrove school district in favor of it. Others can comment on that.
AtlantaGreg, thanks for the breakdown.

It is a bit disconcerting that locals have tension with West Indians (islanders) moving in. I am born and raised in the US, however, my family is from Haiti (mom) and Trinidad (dad). Caribbean people, mostly, are hard-working and take great pride in homeownership. So, I am curious as to what is causing such tension. Is it due to sheer intolerance, resistance to change, or are the new-comers making them uncomfortable some how?

I will look into North Powder Springs because school performance is important for a mother of three kids.

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Why?
Of all the builders in the Atlanta area- why would they be your "fave"?
Remember theres more to a house than sq/ft per $$.
I am quite aware of that.
I liked those builders because of their floor plans and the amount of features offered at my price point.

Are there any builders you recommend, K'ledgeBldr?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
It is a bit disconcerting that locals have tension with West Indians (islanders) moving in. I am born and raised in the US, however, my family is from Haiti (mom) and Trinidad (dad). Caribbean people, mostly, are hard-working and take great pride in homeownership. So, I am curious as to what is causing such tension. Is it due to sheer intolerance, resistance to change, or are the new-comers making them uncomfortable some how?
Well, of course, some of it is the old South, "we hate change" mentality. Many folks who live here have lived here quite literally all their lives, or at least a number of decades. It was a predominately white, sleepy, laid-back town. Now you have folks from all over the world, traffic, crime... well, "big city stuff" coming in, and some of the resistance is from that. You could be from Mars, actually, and they would resist that - or (gasp) - a Democrat.

Some is due political fear. Locally last year we had three Kenyan women murdered in their home here. The local news showed the sizeable immigrant community in the area (which surprised many locals), and went into detail about the possible political nature of the killings - they had run from persecution due to fighting female circumcision laws in Kenya, and were thought to have been hunted down and murdered by hit men once here as a result. The case still hasn't been solved. So pretty much if anyone here meets a black person with an accent, they're not taking the time to see if it's Kenyan, Haitian, Jamaican or whatever - they think, "Oh god, they're bringing their political stuff here with them", and fear for their own personal safety steps in, as they conjure images of African or Island hit men running the streets mowing people down with AK47s.

However, I'm known for saying it as it is, too - SOME of it is from the immigrants who are moving here. I work with the public somewhat with my job here as well, and I will have to say that a decent number of people from what we'd call "the Island Nations" who come in our door have very short, abrupt, and some might say rude attitudes. We encounter a lot of impatience from some of these folks even where I work, which of course, will only result in rudeness being tossed right back their way. So to a degree, it's a cultural thing - with the South being somewhat talkative, slower, with the "please/thank you/you're welcome" stuff heavy here, and those from some other nations not quite getting the hang of all that, being perceived as "rude" (when in fact they may not actually be - they just come off that way).

It's not like if you move to Powder Springs you're going to get a burning cross in your yard if you're from any number of Island or African nations. You won't be shot at or have doors slammed in your face. But at the same time, the general attitude isn't exactly, "Oh joy, Jamaican neighbors!!" either, when a family moves in. I can think of worse places for such a family to move to where they would encounter worse attitudes, but again, this isn't cosmopolitan NYC either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta