Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM

51 posts, read 163,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Why would any major metropolitan area only want leadership that represents one race?

The entire country already has that.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShericeForte View Post
Hello, I am a senior at Howard University in Washington majoring in Sociology. One of my courses deals with contemporary social issues in the black community.

We looked at a case study involving Atlanta and how it is losing its black residents. If this continues, the blacks could lose political control of the city. We also learned that for the first time in years a white candidate has a chance of winning the mayoral election this year!

Atlanta has always been a center of black political dominance. Something needs to be done so we do not lose this asset to the black community.

Are people in Atlanta not worried that the whites could gain political control of the city if this continues?
If you haven't seen the article yet, here's an excellent piece in the New York Times on the subject (http://tinyurl.com/88gosk (broken link)). It's still relevant though a couple of years old.

By the way, I hope your class is also going beyond the issue of race to examine the issue of CLASS, which is at least an equally important issue facing Atlanta and other cities where 'regentrification' is radically changing the political calculus of urban life in America. This recent piece in the New Republic provides a great overview of the phenomenon nationally. I've posted it several times on this forum before and it's relevant to your topic. Trading Places (http://tinyurl.com/5h32al - broken link)

Old 01-18-2009, 03:07 PM

340 posts, read 704,455 times
....Ohhh, I thought it was like "the Simpson's"...

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Remember everybody...white people only vote for white candidates - that's how Obama got elected, right?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Does it matter what race runs the Atlanta goverment? People keep saying Atlanta is [losing] its black they are talking about in the city limits. Most of the Blacks are just moving into the suburbs they're not leaving the entire area

The highlighted above should answer the OP's question. Atlanta is not losing anything..."Atlanta" is the whole metro area...and the black percentage in the entire metro area and the state is actually increasing (bit by bit).

Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
I'm black Atlanta native, and honestly, I could care less WHAT race gets elected. As long as they are qualified to do the job, who cares?

As someone stated before, you need to specify city limits, because Atlanta is VERY huge. Do a little bit more research about the particular parts of "Atlanta" you are speaking of. There are so many zip codes that represent "Atlanta" it's unbelievable If you want to know the truth, I don't think whites ever "lost" control of Atlanta. Do a little more research on the topic and you will see that. The only people that will lose control of Atlanta are ignorant people and ignorance goes across race boundaries.
The highlighted above should also answer the OP's question. "Atlanta" is not just the city limits. You have to take the whole metro into account when talking about "Atlanta".

Look at the map below to see where blacks live all over the metro area (from 2000 census):

Scout 99: Neighborhood Research, Made Easy (choose "Black Population %")

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Remember everybody...white people only vote for white candidates - that's how Obama got elected, right?
Brilliant, DeaconJ. Brilliant.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
If we elect someone simply because of their race then we are in deep trouble as a city.
where was this information when people were voting for the next president?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
where was this information when people were voting for the next president?

Good point, south georgia, and very true.

Many, many people vote based on race (cough, Obama, cough, cough...).

Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I would hope that race would not be the issue at the forefront when it comes to our city leaders. I think most people today don't care about your skin color, especially the younger generations and I believe this is a good thing. I am surprised by your question and tone. Something needs to be done so Atlanta is run as best as possible, regardless of race. There are many ethnic groups in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta