Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Well the average black man is poor....

I'm reading this topic and I think of my many experiences on the trains here. While people watching, the white people on the trains are very timid, even when not in danger. The body language is very uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel bad for them, especially if it is a white woman, they are a little afraid of black people. That ain't cool. We most understand that there are people that want to use Marta but want to make it hard for poor black people to use it. 4$ a trip is not a good idea, and I don't like the idea of different prices. Most people have an unlimited breeze cards anyway. 1 ways and 2 ways are for rookies and visitors. Reading the opinions of this Sonny fellow, you would think he was the dude on Dukes of Hazards are something. I always wondered why they don't wrap the trains? You see adds inside the train but never on the outside. Also there are no vendors in the stations like booths are something, outside of the race issues that DO exist, I don't think Marta is maximize the use of their property. Nothing wrong with having a couple Subway stands or McDonalds booths in the stations, not really those brands/companies but it would generate more revenue.
I have seen AT&T/Cingular ads on the outside of trains. As for putting something like McDonald's in stations, where would they go? Most stations are short on space as it is.

The Google example is flawed since it is not run for profit and it is open only to people who work at Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Marta would have to allow eating and drinking on the trains like NYC, if they were to add fast food joints or stands....

Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:

I'm reading this topic and I think of my many experiences on the trains here. While people watching, the white people on the trains are very timid, even when not in danger. The body language is very uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel bad for them, especially if it is a white woman, they are a little afraid of black people.
It's the way the average southerner (and some northerners) have been socialized. We've had leaders public and private who for so long told us through speeches, laws, and media that we should be seperate that even when we are told that seperateness should no longer be the case, so many still cling to it like a safety blanket.

I'd say when the babyboomers and the older generation who were born before the 1960's die out en masse maybe things will get better. Until then, count on more of this "culture war" nonsense for another 20-30 years.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Privatize MARTA. Change the name, hopefully the down south bubbas will be fooled by it and that will give the state some leeway to slip some money towards MARTA and change the way it's run. It's time for Georgia to advance into the 21st century, because this Atlanta vs. Georgia nonsense is getting old and tiresome.

I would feel good about Georgia's direction when the next person that runs for the Governor's office doesn't feel like he(or she) have to do it "southern strategy" style, ala confederate flag. That would be sweet...
yeh, we're just a bunch of idiots. change the name and we won't have a clue.

no way do i want my tax dollars funding that thing.

i tell you what; if atlanta will pay for us to have a transit system down here, i'll gladly send my tax dollars to pay for yours. oh wait, i've got a better idea; instead of sending checks to each other, lets use our own money to pay for our own transit system.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:

I'm reading this topic and I think of my many experiences on the trains here. While people watching, the white people on the trains are very timid, even when not in danger. The body language is very uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel bad for them, especially if it is a white woman, they are a little afraid of black people. That ain't cool.
I have to think that most white folks aren't afraid of people because they are black or any other color - I know I'm not and most other white people I know aren't either. My policy when riding Marta or traveling/walking in any large city is - mind my own business, don't attract unecessary attention to myself, and avoid chatting with strangers unless I get a friendly signal (like a smile). My policy is for all colors of people, and it is simply for safety purposes.

A lot of white people are used to being in the majority wherever they go, even if they don't realize it...so when they find themselves in a clear minority situation it can probably be a little intimidating. But I hope that in this day and age that most people of any color can feel comfortable in mixed company, especially in public places. I guess the more naive folks may not have a lot of experience with such worldly things.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

i tell you what; if atlanta will pay for us to have a transit system down here, i'll gladly send my tax dollars to pay for yours. oh wait, i've got a better idea; instead of sending checks to each other, lets use our own money to pay for our own transit system.
Your tax dollars? Since when did Atlanta receive tax dollars from "South" Georgia?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

Whatever... Like you exist in some independent no-government paradise... Tell you what though, go live in Somalia for a while and then come back tell me if it's good not to have ANY sort of government.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Whatever... Like you exist in some independent no-government paradise... Tell you what though, go live in Somalia for a while and then come back tell me if it's good not to have ANY sort of government.
Where he exist, they frown upon Atlanta with their hands out. We can pay for our own transit system if we didnt have to support the entire state, with some exceptions. I think Columbus and Macon may be self sufficient.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I have seen AT&T/Cingular ads on the outside of trains. As for putting something like McDonald's in stations, where would they go? Most stations are short on space as it is.
Not a full restaurant, the term I am looking for starts with a "K", but I can't think of the word at this time. It can be different stuff at busy stations, like a news stand or sandwiches or whatever....Just thinking over another way for Marta as a company to generate more revenue, but I have to agree with another post that the actual train SERVICE is not for profit, it is a service to the people.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Marta would have to allow eating and drinking on the trains like NYC, if they were to add fast food joints or stands....
I totally understand the rules on NO FOOD...I actually like the rule, I am just brainstorming a bit, Maybe someone can have an music stand where you can buy AACs & MP3s for 50 cents...or magazine rack...or gloves and skull caps....it doesn't HAVE to be food, just something that can be rented out. Hey I live and use it just like many other citizens of Atlanta, and many of the people here do not realize how good you all have it. 38 Stations is really good for a southern city, many places don't have that many stations, some don't have rail at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta