Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that your move to Atlanta was a good one?
Yes 29 64.44%
No 16 35.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM

168 posts, read 561,145 times

Advertisements

At this point, no. No job yet. Glad I'm no longer in LA though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times
Default Would you move BACK to ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I voted no for one reason. With my approaching AARP membership age, my folks are 700 miles away needing more attention and being part of the old "never left their town depression generation" moving down here is a non-discussion. Add that with my wifes father who is also gaining in age, the same situation plus another 300 miles.

With the above removed. Overall I cannot say yes or no. How about yes and no

With my moves from locations such as Baltimore, Philly, NYC area, and Chicago to Atlanta and not living according to the Jones' my move to Georgia was good from a financial aspect since I oweth nothing to nobody.

I enjoy the mountains and the area has everything I need. The natives are good folks and for the most part so is everyone else.

Two items I do not like is the City of Atlanta. Never been much of a city person anyway but it reminds me much like when I lived in Baltimore. The leadership is poor, period. It is easy to compare to Philly when Rendell ran the town, NYC when Rudy ran the town, and ChiTown with tricky Dick. Love'm or hate'm these guys love their town and except nothing less. The leadership in Atlanta love themselves and their own self-interest more than they love Atlanta. My opinion.

The other is summer. Yes summer. Darn it's hot! I guess the good thing is when my Bar-b-Que runs out of fuel I can lay my steak on the patio concrete in July to finish to a nice medium well texture

Overall on a 1-10 scale? I vote this move 5 years now, a 6-7.
Great comments ... must say that becoming an AARP member almost 3 years ago, best thing that could have happened! ENJOY the benefits!

Last year I moved my Father and his wife from Central CA Coast to Eugene, Oregon .... 2 miles from my step-sister. I think I've enjoyed my "freedom" a bit more lately. Commuting from ATL-SLC-SBP monthly was starting to degrade my well-being.

Currently I'm traveling ATL-LAX to help my best friend of 30yrs take care of his elderly Mom in East Los Angeles. He needs the break and so do the regular caretakers. I think we all must engage the responsibility of helping each other w/care of our senior citizens. I'm sure you'll find some welcome company in the process of caring for your aging parents.

I've been in Metro Atlanta 18 years. Intown and 'burbs. It's good and bad in it's own right...some unique idiosyncrasies and some not ... positive and negative aspects.

I suppose the big question would be ... "Would you move BACK?" I believe that would sum up in your move was good or not?

My answer? Absoultely NOT !!! My swimming pool & wheelchair are waiting for me in Palm Springs.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Quote:
The other is summer. Yes summer. Darn it's hot! I guess the good thing is when my Bar-b-Que runs out of fuel I can lay my steak on the patio concrete in July to finish to a nice medium well texture
Hah, Georgia, I particularly enjoyed the above portion of your post. We're from the northwest and find the summers here sweltering. Within the family, we also still call that cooking appliance out on our deck the barbecue, rather than the grill. It's nice to be reminded we're not really uniquely weird; we're just not from these parts.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
I voted no for one reason. With my approaching AARP membership age, my folks are 700 miles away needing more attention and being part of the old "never left their town depression generation" moving down here is a non-discussion. Add that with my wifes father who is also gaining in age, the same situation plus another 300 miles.

With the above removed. Overall I cannot say yes or no. How about yes and no

With my moves from locations such as Baltimore, Philly, NYC area, and Chicago to Atlanta and not living according to the Jones' my move to Georgia was good from a financial aspect since I oweth nothing to nobody.

I enjoy the mountains and the area has everything I need. The natives are good folks and for the most part so is everyone else.

Two items I do not like is the City of Atlanta. Never been much of a city person anyway but it reminds me much like when I lived in Baltimore. The leadership is poor, period. It is easy to compare to Philly when Rendell ran the town, NYC when Rudy ran the town, and ChiTown with tricky Dick. Love'm or hate'm these guys love their town and except nothing less. The leadership in Atlanta love themselves and their own self-interest more than they love Atlanta. My opinion.

Overall on a 1-10 scale? I vote this move 5 years now, a 6-7.
(see highlighted above) Very true and unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta