Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,780,501 times

Advertisements

With both my kids, I've taken them on MARTA because it's fun for them.

Because you can't use the same card, you have to go through a different gate than your kid or at a different time.

For both my kids, before they got the hang of it, I had crying kids stuck on the other side of the gate on at least one occasion when they were learning to use the cards and the urge to smash through the gate to get them or lift them over it.

What are your thoughts about MARTA needing to make themselves more kid-friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
i completely and totally agree; it's not economical at all to take a family of four; it's $10 for a one-way trip. even with a monthly pass, you have to buy a separate card for everyone in your family, and that comes close to $400 a month— not an easy bill for a struggling family to afford every month.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Normally, you can ask one of the attendants to let you through the handicapped gate if you're in that kind of situation -- that way, you can all go through together and get all the cards tapped through.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
I've never been on MARTA with kids before, but on Metro in DC, which uses a very similar system, the faregates bank taps and stay open until the right number of people have gone through the gate. So, for example, you can tap three cards, and the gate will stay open until three people have gone through. You can try that and see if it works. Or email custserv@itsmarta.com; they are very helpful and have always responded to my questions and concerns.

Of course, it's free to ride for small children.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Normally, you can ask one of the attendants to let you through the handicapped gate if you're in that kind of situation -- that way, you can all go through together and get all the cards tapped through.
Pretty much. It's not too big of an issue getting through the gate. The part about not being able to use the same card multiple times to get in is because each card has to tap out to 'complete' the trip and load a bus transfer. Tapping in multiple times and tapping out messes with that.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a 'family account' set up, where you can get a few cards all linked to the same account with a discounted 'family monthly pass' where it's cheaper than individual monthly passes. You could get them at the reduced fare office by proving you're all related with I.D.s or something.

Other than that, getting through the gates really isn't that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I've never been on MARTA with kids before, but on Metro in DC, which uses a very similar system, the faregates bank taps and stay open until the right number of people have gone through the gate. So, for example, you can tap three cards, and the gate will stay open until three people have gone through. You can try that and see if it works. Or email custserv@itsmarta.com; they are very helpful and have always responded to my questions and concerns.

That's pretty cool actually, though the MARTA gates don't really work that way. Just tap and walk through the open gates, I don't think they have a way to count as people go through, unless you're talking to an attendant.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That's pretty cool actually, though the MARTA gates don't really work that way. Just tap and walk through the open gates, I don't think they have a way to count as people go through, unless you're talking to an attendant.
It's mostly so that people don't have to wait for the gates to close behind the person in front of them before tapping and walking through.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Kids under 46" are free, limit 2 kids per paying rider. Use the handicap faregate when traveling with kids that qualify for free fare, the handicap faregate has sensors so the gates will not close if an object is detected. My wife and I travel wih our daughter on MARTA since she was born and have had no issues on buses or trains.
MARTA - Using MARTA

Old 08-03-2015, 07:53 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
Very frustrating to ride Marta with kids. Same thing--I slid my card and sent the child through, and then was going to slide the card for myself. It didn't work. Had to leave my child unattended inside the marta station for 5 full minutes while I waited in line again, bought another card for myself and paid for myself. Only later did I find out the child was free, but there was still no indication of how I was supposed to get the child through for free. Never again.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Only later did I find out the child was free, but there was still no indication of how I was supposed to get the child through for free. Never again.
Swipe your card, hold their hand, and walk through with them.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Swipe your card, hold their hand, and walk through with them.
Bingo. MARTA not kid-friendly...or kids (and their parents) not MARTA-smart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: