Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times

Advertisements

I'm not very familiar with this so I'd appreciate any info. We bought a new construction townhome in DeKalb County last March. Yesterday we received a check for over $3k from our lender, saying it is escrow money that we overpaid. They also said this is very common for new construction, as property taxes might be only on land value. Therefore they recommended that we send the money back to them to fully fund the escrow account again.

I checked my 2008 tax statements and that is correct- last year we were only taxed on land value and not building value. Which leads to a few questions:

1) Since my first tax bill isn't due until June, can I wait until then to send the money back to lender?
2) Is there any benefit to my paying the tax bills instead of lender? That way, we can earn interest on the money. What are the pros and cons of not using an escrow account?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I'm not very familiar with this so I'd appreciate any info. We bought a new construction townhome in DeKalb County last March. Yesterday we received a check for over $3k from our lender, saying it is escrow money that we overpaid. They also said this is very common for new construction, as property taxes might be only on land value. Therefore they recommended that we send the money back to them to fully fund the escrow account again.

I checked my 2008 tax statements and that is correct- last year we were only taxed on land value and not building value. Which leads to a few questions:

1) Since my first tax bill isn't due until June, can I wait until then to send the money back to lender?
2) Is there any benefit to my paying the tax bills instead of lender? That way, we can earn interest on the money. What are the pros and cons of not using an escrow account?

thanks!
My big pro is that I don't have to think about it. The lender takes care of all of it without my involvement in any way. I have gotten a check back from my lender every year (not anything near yours), as our escrow was a little over, so that is kind of normal. Although not being taxed on the building value sounds strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta