Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I've seen plenty of top 10 lists of congestion in which ATL is either #3 or 4 or somewhere up top. And MARTA isn't all that useful outside the Perimeter, which is where the vast majority of people in the metro area live.
Yes, there are plenty of OLD lists that have Atlanta ranked in the top 5 - some that rank Atlanta #1. But the current congestion listings don't have Atlanta ranked 3 or 4, and Atlanta wasn't even in the top 10 for 2008.

MARTA is a subway that is partially used for commuter rail by the suburbs....it wasn't really meant to go out into the far counties...we really need commuter rail for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Atlanta did not make the top 10 in the latest list of worst traffic cities. Many cities from Seattle to Boston were higher.

If you live in the suburbs and commute in then it sucks, perhaps why more and more people are moving further in. If you can avoid the freeways, especially 400 then its much better.

Quote:
I've seen plenty of top 10 lists of congestion in which ATL is either #3 or 4 or somewhere up top. And MARTA isn't all that useful outside the Perimeter, which is where the vast majority of people in the metro area live.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
The list I think you're referring to that ranked Atlanta as low as #12, based on GPS data from commercial vehicles with data from Inrix, so YMMV. It did say that the worst time is Friday at 5, I can agree with that.

However, I saw another list that ranked Atlanta was #2 on this list in 2008, courtesy of data from the Texas Transportation Institute, which I find to be a more credible source:

America's Most Congested Cities - Forbes.com

"2. Atlanta, Ga.
Annual delays per traveler: 60 hours

Commutes longer than 45 minutes: 24%

Those in Atlanta are victims of a trade-off: affordable, exurban homes mean longer commutes. What's more, in the last five years, Atlanta has been one of the fastest-growing cities in America, and any time you add as much industry and people, you strain existing transportation systems..."

I will concede that traffic here sucks, no matter if it's ranked #2, 10, 12 or 20.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Quote:
Thats partially because there are 2 million people in Metro Indianapolis vs. 5.6 Million in Metro Atlanta. You have to compare the metro populations with each other.

yes,but even for a metro of 2M people traffic is very light.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
It is not as bad as ATL's traffic...trust me. NYC has so many highways, and expressways, and parkways, you can get somewhere more than one way
I live in NYC...i am astonished everytime I visit ATL.

NY has SMALL highways, they arent as big as 75/85/etc

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
The list I think you're referring to that ranked Atlanta as low as #12, based on GPS data from commercial vehicles with data from Inrix, so YMMV. It did say that the worst time is Friday at 5, I can agree with that.

However, I saw another list that ranked Atlanta was #2 on this list in 2008, courtesy of data from the Texas Transportation Institute, which I find to be a more credible source:

America's Most Congested Cities - Forbes.com

"2. Atlanta, Ga.
Annual delays per traveler: 60 hours

Commutes longer than 45 minutes: 24%

Those in Atlanta are victims of a trade-off: affordable, exurban homes mean longer commutes. What's more, in the last five years, Atlanta has been one of the fastest-growing cities in America, and any time you add as much industry and people, you strain existing transportation systems..."

I will concede that traffic here sucks, no matter if it's ranked #2, 10, 12 or 20.

That is for the people who live 40+ miles outside of the city. If you like near marta or ITP you will not be that bad. I have seen worse traffic in Dallas, Houston, DC, Philly, LA, etc. If you dont like traffic you should move to a third world country and just walk everywhere

Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM

81 posts, read 210,086 times
I was down this past weekend for the long weekend... Traffic is very bad but I would say it has a lot to do with drivers not rubbernecking like here in NYC... Traffic actually moves... Here, we sit in parking lots to commute...

However, I was surprised during Friday morning's rush hour in via MARTA how few people take it... I thought it was great.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc3rid View Post
I was down this past weekend for the long weekend... Traffic is very bad but I would say it has a lot to do with drivers not rubbernecking like here in NYC... Traffic actually moves... Here, we sit in parking lots to commute...

However, I was surprised during Friday morning's rush hour in via MARTA how few people take it... I thought it was great.
somtimes marta is packed during morning rush hour and sometimes its not

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
somtimes marta is packed during morning rush hour and sometimes its not
I don't ride marta on a regular basis but I've found that it's always pretty packed during afternoon rush hour...standing-room only (and not very much at that)

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,247 times
Quote:
Yes, there are plenty of OLD lists that have Atlanta ranked in the top 5 - some that rank Atlanta #1. But the current congestion listings don't have Atlanta ranked 3 or 4, and Atlanta wasn't even in the top 10 for 2008.

MARTA is a subway that is partially used for commuter rail by the suburbs....it wasn't really meant to go out into the far counties...we really need commuter rail for that purpose.
This depends on what list you use. For example, one list shows Atlanta as 12, another at 10 and some at 1. However, the TTI, which is usually considered THE source for "traffic measurement," continues to list it in the top 5, and in 2008 listed it at #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: