Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:03 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why are you so upset about it?
It's a First Amendment thing, your implication that the media was perhaps in the wrong to report the fact Clayton County Schools lost accreditation... it just irked me because I believe Freedom of Speech and the Media play a vital role in democracy. How are Clayton County voters going to know what a lousy job their elected officials, their school board, is doing w/o the media? Your implication that the media was somehow wrong to report this event is ridiculous.

Quote:
One of the most notable proponents of the link between freedom of speech and democracy is Alexander Meiklejohn. He argues that the concept of democracy is that of self-government by the people. For such a system to work an informed electorate is necessary. In order to be appropriately knowledgeable, there must be no constraints on the free flow of information and ideas. According to Meiklejohn, democracy will not be true to its essential ideal if those in power are able to manipulate the electorate by withholding information and stifling criticism. Meiklejohn acknowledges that the desire to manipulate opinion can stem from the motive of seeking to benefit society. However, he argues, choosing manipulation negates, in its means, the democratic ideal.[12] Eric Barendt has called the defense of free speech on the grounds of democracy "probably the most attractive and certainly the most fashionable free speech theory in modern Western democracies".[13]

Freedom of speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequently, I do, and I will, have a cow when you say things such as this...

Quote:
I could care less about Clayton County Schools...I just can't stand misinformation and overdramatic criticism of ANYTHING.

I was saying that parents and students would never notice anything different about their local school and wouldn't even know about the accreditation loss if not for the media coverage.
This "dirty little secret" about Clayton County Schools losing accreditation wasn't an "internal problem", it was a PUBLIC PROBLEM, it was a problem voters needed to address at the polls. It needed to be covered by the press and other forms of media. Democracy demands accountability!

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-02-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
maybe birth control lol jst kidding its nice to have a big family im in one myself lots of different personalitiess as for the house changing thing i recommend buying a house dosent have to be a masion and it will save your ass in the long run

Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
I could care less about Clayton County Schools...I just can't stand misinformation and overdramatic criticism of ANYTHING.

The loss of accreditation in Clayton County had nothing to do with the quality of daily education in the individual schools. It happened due to deficiencies of the school board. The day to day operations within each school continued as normal. I didn't say that the schools weren't negatively impacted...but the students and parents would be cushioned from that impact by the staff.

Teachers are very good at shutting out outside problems and concentrating very diligently on teaching the kids - I do it almost every day. I was saying that parents and students would never notice anything different about their local school and wouldn't even know about the accreditation loss if not for the media coverage.

Don't have cow. Why are you so upset about it?

Yeah, tell that to the students that probably can do nothing but wipe the floor with their diploma.

I'd think reporting about being the first school districts in the nation to lose their accreditation is something worth reporting. But hey, let's shelter everyone to make themselves feel better!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yeah, tell that to the students that probably can do nothing but wipe the floor with their diploma.

I'd think reporting about being the first school districts in the nation to lose their accreditation is something worth reporting. But hey, let's shelter everyone to make themselves feel better!
Let's not forget about not being accepted by any RA College or University.
Terrible to say, but any poor student stuck in a Clayton County Government school over 16 is better off leaving the school and going to a Tech School and earning their GED. At least that will provide more power to higher education acceptance than their current route.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
The loss of accreditation in Clayton County had nothing to do with the quality of daily education in the individual schools. It happened due to deficiencies of the school board.
This part is true it was due to the, well let's use "useless" school board. Overall, Clayton and many, many, other school situations in this country are yet again another sad state of affairs example of "Government Control" Goes to the old saying, is there any social/domestic program, which under government control is anything but a outright screw up?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
:
Thats not nice to say to any child who just finished 13 years of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Let's not forget about not being accepted by any RA College or University
Terrible to say, but any poor student stuck in a Clayton County Government school over 16 is better off leaving the school and going to a Tech School and earning their GED. At least that will provide more power to higher education acceptance than their current route.
Universities were still accepting students from the 09 year before the system got accredatation back. I know a few people that got into schools like Vanderbilt, UCLA, Howard, Cornell and other schools so schools were still accepting clayco students.

I hate to hear people talking about clayco schools like there the worst schools ever. You havent heard lately on the news about children hitting teachers or bringing guns to schools like you been hearing about other school districts.

And to the original post the Stone Mountain area looks like a nice place to raise a lot of kids. Grew up in a family of 5 kids with cousins visiting all the time and loved it. A big yard is also essential with a lot of kids and Stone Mountains has a lot of homes with large yards

Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 AM

235 posts, read 838,493 times
Quote:
I hate to hear people talking about clayco schools like there the worst schools ever. You havent heard lately on the news about children hitting teachers or bringing guns to schools like you been hearing about other school districts.
You make a great point; if you go by test scores of schools in different counties in Georgia, the scores are low, but some other school districts in Georgia fare worse. Clayton schools are *not* the absolute worst. For people who are familiar with the Clayton County public school issue, the accreditation loss lies largely on the shoulders of the voters in Clayton County who selected the incompetent Clayton County School Board members. Their actions of hiring unqualified friends and family members into school-related positions, not getting along at school board meeting with each other, and micromanaging other staff in the schools caused the most of the problems of SACS accreditation loss, *not* what was going on in the schools themselves.

The Stone Mountain area is a good suggestion, too, as it is close to Buford Highway area.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
You make a great point; if you go by test scores of schools in different counties in Georgia, the scores are low, but some other school districts in Georgia fare worse. Clayton schools are *not* the absolute worst. For people who are familiar with the Clayton County public school issue, the accreditation loss lies largely on the shoulders of the voters in Clayton County who selected the incompetent Clayton County School Board members. Their actions of hiring unqualified friends and family members into school-related positions, not getting along at school board meeting with each other, and micromanaging other staff in the schools caused the most of the problems of SACS accreditation loss, *not* what was going on in the schools themselves.

The Stone Mountain area is a good suggestion, too, as it is close to Buford Highway area.

Thank you! That is EXACTLY the point I was making earlier in this thread...but a couple of members blasted me for making it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta