Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,781 times

Advertisements

But isn't that in Tucker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
But isn't that in Tucker?
Depends who you ask. I've heard it called Tucker, Decatur and Atlanta. Technically it is not in Tucker (I believe 285 is where Tucker ends...Lindmoor Woods is about 50 feet inside the perimeter). The reason I mentioned it is because the previous poster specifically listed Lindmoor Woods as an option.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,781 times
Ah, yes. Thanks, JPD. It gets confusing!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 AM

15 posts, read 111,393 times
Default Decatur Neighborhoods

Yes - we are looking at spending between $210-$250, so those neighborhoods are within our price range. I have already been up to Atlanta to look, but what I haven't found are opinions on what kind of neighborhoods they are. Are they safe? Who lives there? Retired? Young Professionals? Young Families? Are they concitered good neighboorhoods?
What would the commute time be to Dunwoody in the AM and back home in the PM? Would I be going against traffic? What about the schools in the are? Laurel Ridge Elem, Medlock Elem, Shamrock Middle and Druid Hills HS? We don't have kids right now, but we want to be a decent school district for resale value.
Also, we looked at some homes further south- near Hollywood Drive. I didn't like that neighborhood as well - am I passing up a good opportunity?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlupfer View Post
Yes - we are looking at spending between $210-$250, so those neighborhoods are within our price range. I have already been up to Atlanta to look, but what I haven't found are opinions on what kind of neighborhoods they are. Are they safe? Who lives there? Retired? Young Professionals? Young Families? Are they concitered good neighboorhoods?
What would the commute time be to Dunwoody in the AM and back home in the PM? Would I be going against traffic? What about the schools in the are? Laurel Ridge Elem, Medlock Elem, Shamrock Middle and Druid Hills HS? We don't have kids right now, but we want to be a decent school district for resale value.
Also, we looked at some homes further south- near Hollywood Drive. I didn't like that neighborhood as well - am I passing up a good opportunity?
I'm not familiar enough with ALL the neighborhoods you listed to comment, but I know a bit about Lindmoor Woods since I have a few friends that live in that neighborhood. Retired people, young families and professionals all live there. You'll probably find that to be the case just about everywhere in the metro area (aside from some slummy areas...not many professionals living in the slums). Getting to Dunwoody requires travel on I-285. You will be dealing with rush hour traffic. You definitely won't be going against traffic. I drive under 285 each day, and I do not envy anyone who has to take 285. I don't know how long it would take. Fortunately I've never had to find out. Any neighborhood that feeds into Druid Hills HIgh School is considered desirable real estate.

Medlock is closer to Emory. We considered moving to Medlock, but we were underwhelmed by what you get for your money. We wanted a brick house with a basement, and the houses in Medlock are wood framed, with asbestos shingle siding built on crawlspaces.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,112 times
I am looking for a client in this area and am unfamiliar with this area. Could someone advise on what are the boundaries of unincorporated Decatur? I understand taxes are considerably less and the schools are not bad.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi888 View Post
I am looking for a client in this area and am unfamiliar with this area. Could someone advise on what are the boundaries of unincorporated Decatur? I understand taxes are considerably less and the schools are not bad.
Attached is a street map of the City of Decatur. The areas immediately outside the City of Decatur are referred to as unincorporated DeKalb County. Property taxes will indeed be a little lower outside the city limits, but as a City of Decatur resident I think the extra cost is worth the price. I think the neighborhoods within the City of Decatur are nicer than many of the areas just outside the City (with the exception of Druid Hills). I also think the schools and services (particularly the City of Decatur police department) are better within the City.

http://www.decaturga.com/client_resources/getaround/decaturga_streetmap.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Didi,

Depending on which direction you go, the schools are horrible in unincoporated DeKalb. Be very careful.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,065 times
Thumbs up Decatur Neighborhoods

[FONT=Tms Rmn]I would recommend you check out medlock park/university heights. I have lived in medlock park for a few years and think it's super safe and is going to get even nicer if/when city of Decatur annexes all of that commercial realestate down the street. The schools are also really good (medlock elementary / Druid hills) for inside the perimeter. I've loved my stay in medlock although I am probably putting my home on the mrkt in the next month and moving to a townhouse due to the pain of yard work.
[/FONT]

Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,935 times
Default unincorp. dekalb elementary schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not familiar enough with ALL the neighborhoods you listed to comment, but I know a bit about Lindmoor Woods since I have a few friends that live in that neighborhood. Retired people, young families and professionals all live there. You'll probably find that to be the case just about everywhere in the metro area (aside from some slummy areas...not many professionals living in the slums). Getting to Dunwoody requires travel on I-285. You will be dealing with rush hour traffic. You definitely won't be going against traffic. I drive under 285 each day, and I do not envy anyone who has to take 285. I don't know how long it would take. Fortunately I've never had to find out. Any neighborhood that feeds into Druid Hills HIgh School is considered desirable real estate.

Medlock is closer to Emory. We considered moving to Medlock, but we were underwhelmed by what you get for your money. We wanted a brick house with a basement, and the houses in Medlock are wood framed, with asbestos shingle siding built on crawlspaces.
I definitely agree that the neighborhoods mentioned in unincorp. Dekalb would not be the place to live if you have to commute to Dunwoody - in fact, I would highly recommend against any live-work arrangement involving 285.

Unfortunately, Laurel Ridge, McClendon and other elementary schools in the area, despite feeding eventually to Druid Hills High, are not considered desirable. Medlock is OK, from what I've heard. Fernbank and Oak Grove, and to a lesser extent Briarlake and Sagamore Hills are elementary schools in unincorporated Dekalb with good reputations.

The University Heights/Medlock area neighborhood is huge, and the housing quality varies somewhat street by street. Many of the homes are, in fact, brick and have basements. You get what you pay for - there are wood frame starter homes for $210, and nicer homes (some in the Fernbank district) in the $300s and up, up, up. The entire area is safe, as far as I know - I live there and have many acquaintances in the neighborhood, and haven't heard about any break-ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta