Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 30,732 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a casual protestant church in the midtown/buckhead (or closely surrounding) areas. Casual meaning jeans or shorts to the services. I've tried Buckhead Church a few times, and while I love Andy Stanley and the messages, it's just not the place for me. Specifically I felt like people were there to be seen more than to worship the Lord. The reason I mention that is not to start an arguement about Buckhead Church, but so hopefully people can lead me in the right direction.... good, though-provoking messages, without judgement.

Thanks for any insite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM

225 posts, read 714,756 times
don't know much about the actual services, but i did read that the unitarian universalist church does allow shorts and whatnot.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 55,098 times
Have you found a church yet? I'm having a similiar problem- I want a modern church, but Buckhead was just too impersonal for me.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 PM

102 posts, read 389,294 times
This isn't in Buckhead or Midtown, but it's not too far away. How about All Soul's Fellowship in Decatur? They are currently renovating their space at East Decatur Station, so they are somewhere in a temporary space for a couple more months, but they will be back soon. We went there for a while a couple of years ago. It's PCA, which isn't really my thing (I'm an Episcopal), but I have several very good friends there, and I really liked the feel of the place and the people who go there. The pastor, Shayne Wheeler, is an awesome guy, gives a great sermon and is very unpretentious. We've known him and his family for years.

There are lots of young adults your age there. Very hip crowd. They even break for coffee in the middle of the service. They call the break the "Liturgy of the Bean." They serve some killer free trade java too.. not the usual church brew.

Well, here's the website... All Souls Fellowship: Home. Good luck!

P.S. I think that when we went there they were talking about also opening a similar church in Virginia Highland or thereabouts. You could get in touch with Shayne, and I'm sure he could give you info about that church or maybe another one that is closer to where you live if you need it..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
One of the things I admire about Andy Stanley and Buckhead church is the commitment to bring the type of church you are looking for back to the center of the city. However, I would probably feel like you and that a church that has the preacher on remote video would lead to a rather impersonal feel throughout the rest of the congregation. Just can't see how you would have that real of a connection with that set up. I am sure it works for many, but can't imagine it.

I could recommend several churches in Cobb and Cherokee that would be what you are looking for, but just don't know of any ITP sorry to say. I have been in TX for several years now, so my up to date personal knowledge is lacking. I remember that Perimeter church used to have a branch ITP. Several years ago, I knew of a very alternative type of church called Blood and Fire that had a heart to reach the homeless and disadvantaged, used to meet around Capitol Homes before they were demolished. Don't even know if they are still in existence.

Wish I knew more about stuff going on ITP. Everything I know is more the old school mainline denomination or a predominantly AA church. AA churches are great, but cannot think of a situation where the AA church experience and casual go hand in hand.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM

145 posts, read 361,435 times
This is located just off Piedmont and Ponce De Leon. Very casual! Wonderful acoustic Music! Wonderful Church Leadership!

St. Paul's Presbyterian

Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM

16 posts, read 55,098 times
An update for anyone else looking for a new casual church with contemporary worship: I went to All Souls last weekend- the pastor was great, a young congregation, and cool setting. However, the music was all folk. Didn't really seem to fit. But still, I would go back. I've also heard about the following (though they aren't protestant, if thats specifically what you're looking for).
Fusion Church- Sat at 11:15am.
Peachtree Presby- Sun at 11:05am in the gym
North Ave Presby- Sun at 9:00 am.
(Times listed are for contemporary services).

I'll update on what I find!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,316 times
Peachtree Presbyterian recently started a Sunday class for 30-something singles. Several of the members usually get together and go to one of the "official" church services, too... 10a, 11:05 and 11:15. Also, they have various events/lunch etc occasionally, maybe if you don't feel like trying out the class at first you can just attend a function.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhittierMillVillage View Post
This is located just off Piedmont and Ponce De Leon. Very casual! Wonderful acoustic Music! Wonderful Church Leadership!

St. Paul's Presbyterian
I have attended an early morning service there and it is a very casual church and the acoustic music was both refreshing and enjoyable. I found it to be a bit more culturally diverse than ethnically diverse; the church is welcoming to those who attend the services for worship and shelter. I would say St. Paul's base worshipers are 30-something to 40-something singles or couples with children. Service lasts about an hour. The pastor takes time in the sermon to teach from the bible and relate a scriptural and modern day lesson.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,925 times
I went to St. Paul's for several months. The members were very kind and welcoming. The preacher seemed so as well. However, I tried repeatedly to become involved in a ministry there. I left my name on signup cards, in offering plates, and even talked to the pastor after service one day about it. Did I ever get a call? NEVER. Some churches like to help the "needy." That's their thing - and they don't want new people joining in on "their thing." Maybe I didn't look the way they wanted me to look. Very disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta