Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 PM

268 posts, read 949,674 times

Advertisements

I was reading the AJC online today and was shocked to see that a man in South Georgia was arrested and spent a year in jail for not paying child support for a child that TWO DNA tests revealed was not his child and he may be made to even pay the backtime child support still, this is ethically and morally wrong to force a man to care for a child that is not his especially if he has other biological children which will in turn take away from them, I've emailed my local legislator to see if there are any bills in the works to deal with this issue and I know that the child invloved is innocent well he's 21 now but the courts should make the mother find the real father and pay this other guy his money back here's a link to the story and I want men to care for their kids but only if they belong to them not because they were tricked by a woman or forced to care for a kid thats not theirs by the court system.
Man jailed for child support, even though he was not the father, released*| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM

268 posts, read 949,674 times
18 views so far and no one has anything to say about something this serious, if I said our skyscrapers are better than yours I would probably have 50 reply's by now.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,411,242 times
I definitely feel where youre comin from on this one. Honestly I think DNA tests should be mandatory for men that have to pay child support even if they do sign the certificate. Main reason being that there are A LOT of females out there are irresponsible to the point that they allow men to believe theyre the childs father knowing that theyre not or theres a possibility that it could be someone else.

Also I believe there should be some type of mandate on how the money is spent once they do get support. There are plenty of instances where the child never even sees any of that money. Some women use child support as leverage over the man as if its some type of threat.

Prime example... I have a friend that is the sole provider for his kid. He gives that child everything he gets and the pathetic mom doesnt even work. She lives with some dude and even makes it a childish point to make it known that when she gets child support from him she spends it on the dude she lives with. So my partner STILL ends up buying the kid stuff plus child support. He tried to get custody but because hes an over the road truck driver they wouldnt go for it. Not only that, when he got his new driving job she took him back to court and the judge increased the payments.

The system definitely takes a dump on the ones that actually do right by their kids. And did you know that in some states... even if the kid isnt biologically yours and youre the sole provider they can still make you pay support??? Personally I think it should be evaluated on a case by case basis rather than just assuming every father is a deadbeat. You have to practically go to hell and back to get custody over the mom.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
18 views so far and no one has anything to say about something this serious, if I said our skyscrapers are better than yours I would probably have 50 reply's by now.

A reminder: "Bumping" your post is NOT allowed in the forums. If people wish to answer, they will. This would most likely have been more appropriate in the politics and other controversies forum, but since you are referring to a story that takes place in Georgia I'll leave it here. Just please do not bump it. Let folks answer as they wish. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM

256 posts, read 895,253 times
There should be mandatory paternity tests before any birth certificates are signed.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,722,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
There should be mandatory paternity tests before any birth certificates are signed.
I thought that was the case now in GA?

If you aren't married, DNA or blood test is required before the birth certificate can be signed by the father....

That's what I've heard...No idea tho...

Show's that father's have little to no rights yet again...

SMH @ him paying out his unemployment check and still in jail...

Pure fraud yet, he is still in jail...

Last edited by PKCorey; 07-16-2009 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,915,417 times
Here was released from Jail yesterday...still a travesty!

Man jailed for child support, even though he was not the father, released*| ajc.com

Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM

642 posts, read 2,221,606 times
Heard about that when it was discussed on a call-in radio show I listen to and I still can't believe it. Consider this hypothetical; if you are married and your wife were to cheat on you and get pregnant by another man; then by the crazy laws on the book you the husband are responsible for the financial support of that child. How absurd is that?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,898,340 times
From the information in the AJC reports, I do agree that the treatment of Mr. Hatley seems harsh.

On the other hand, I'm a bit bemused by the tenor of this thread. Back to ancient times, human societies have included various kinds of non-biogical parent relationships. Apparently folks here take a different view - that DNA is a sine qua non of parenthood.

Legally adopted children are not the parent's biological descendants. Neither are those conceived via sperm and/or egg donation.

A woman I know has two children that were born to her but are not biologically related to her. They were conceived from donor eggs and her husband's sperm. If this couple broke up, would it be right for her to repudiate all parental responsibilities towards those kids? A DNA test would show they're no biological relations of hers, although she gave birth to them.

My mom has gotten into family history research in recent years and has become quite expert at genealogical research. Our Scottish ancestry is full of out-of-wedlock births, etc. Mom says this is quite typical, and that many people have to get over their shock and dismay at the loose morals of their ancestors, when they get into genealogical research.

A man I know was seeing a woman who got pregnant. The couple agreed the baby "could" be his, but the woman was straightforward about the fact that it might not. The relationship evolved, and before the baby was born they moved in together and lived together for several years. He never wanted to do DNA testing because he preferred to just accept the child as his. Eventually, the couple broke up and my friend later married another woman and has a child with his wife. However he still considers that first child his as well, pays child support and visits. I think this is quite admirable.

In the Georgia case, it seems like Mr. Hatley behaved in a somewhat similar fashion to my friend, but then fell on hard times. I think the authorities should have treated him more compassionately. But I don't buy the idea that since his DNA wasn't involved, there's no possibility of him having a parental role and responsibility.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,722,790 times
Quote:
In the Georgia case, it seems like Mr. Hatley behaved in a somewhat similar fashion to my friend, but then fell on hard times. I think the authorities should have treated him more compassionately. But I don't buy the idea that since his DNA wasn't involved, there's no possibility of him having a parental role and responsibility.
Incorrect...

He was freed from future obligations but due to the birth mother getting help from the state, he was on the hook for paying the state back for their portion of support over the years.

He went to jail in 2008, when the child was 21 and he was ordered to stop paying from when the child was 13. Not sure, if interest is applied to child support when you are in the arrears but that's what got him in trouble.

Either way, I don't think any of us is saying you have to have a direct DNA connection to the child.

We all know thats not true. Anybody can be a dad but not everyone can be a father. This is a man who stepped up to the plate and he is still getting wronged by the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: