Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM

22 posts, read 43,450 times

Advertisements

I need to get away from my family who is letting my adult sister of 30 years old stay there and take advantage of my parents. We do not get along, I guess I'm the black sheep. I live on my own but I no longer think living near them will give me any peace as they refuse to change anything. This question relates to another post I posted: Removed by moderator - outside site links now allowed with no posting history. I also need to get away and try to break ties with my narcissist boyfriend (friend now).

However, this question is more about whether or not it makes sense for me to move to Atlanta. Why Atlanta? It's the only city I know better than any other in the U.S., as I have been there several times to visit, and I already have a friend there. With the economy being what it is, should I find a job before moving there in Oct (when my lease in my NY apt expires)? Realizing how spread out Atlanta is, finding a job first probably makes sense before finding housing as I could cut my commute time down. However, I have tried in the past to look for a job by sending out my resume and explaining when I would be visiting, but no one contacted me for an interview. I guess I could move down there, keep most of my stuff in storage until I find a job then move someplace closer to the job.

Another main reason for wanting to leave NY is to cut down on the commute time. Also, I'm just tired of NY, been here all my life and am tired of commuting into the city everyday. Right now, I'm not working so I have the flexibility to move. I had to quit that job because I felt burned out after working as an office assistant in various financial co. for the last 10 years. I also hate office politics and feel I would work better alone but working from home has not been profitably either as I try to blog. But that is yet another post.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-17-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM

40 posts, read 329,921 times
first thing first if you are coming to GA one be sure you have a car second a job lined up and be ready to deal with the bull **** from the people here after that it is sweet. i'm from ny been here since 1995

peace good luck.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKGirl34 View Post
I need to get away from my family who is letting my adult sister of 30 years old stay there and take advantage of my parents. We do not get along, I guess I'm the black sheep. I live on my own but I no longer think living near them will give me any peace as they refuse to change anything. This question relates to another post I posted: Removed by moderator - outside site links now allowed with no posting history. . I also need to get away and try to break ties with my narcissist boyfriend (friend now).

However, this question is more about whether or not it makes sense for me to move to Atlanta. Why Atlanta? It's the only city I know better than any other in the U.S., as I have been there several times to visit, and I already have a friend there. With the economy being what it is, should I find a job before moving there in Oct (when my lease in my NY apt expires)? Realizing how spread out Atlanta is, finding a job first probably makes sense before finding housing as I could cut my commute time down. However, I have tried in the past to look for a job by sending out my resume and explaining when I would be visiting, but no one contacted me for an interview. I guess I could move down there, keep most of my stuff in storage until I find a job then move someplace closer to the job.

Another main reason for wanting to leave NY is to cut down on the commute time. Also, I'm just tired of NY, been here all my life and am tired of commuting into the city everyday. Right now, I'm not working so I have the flexibility to move. I had to quit that job because I felt burned out after working as an office assistant in various financial co. for the last 10 years. I also hate office politics and feel I would work better alone but working from home has not been profitably either as I try to blog. But that is yet another post.

You are from New York, so i am sure you can appreciate me being a little blunt.

I understand that you are currently unemployed and that you do not get along with your sister, but DO NOT move here expecting "The Land of Milk and Honey!" You have already stated that the economy has went to hell and hasn't come back, so if you really do decide to move, please have a job lined up. i would hate for you to come down here and have to go back because you could not find a job. It takes money to move, so just be wise and I wish you the best of luck!

If you do move here, WELCOME TO ATL!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-17-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
It is recommended that if you relocate to a city - any city - in this current economy without a job lined up, that you have 6-12 months of TOTAL LIVING EXPENSES saved up when you come here. That means, you should have enough money to pay rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, food, etc., for 6-12 months as on average it's taking that long or longer for many folks to find jobs when they're new to town if they don't have leads.

Also, if you hate commuting to the city in NY, why move to a city that is pegged as the "L.A. of the East", where the car rules, and people drive to their mailboxes rather than walk? While there are a few more pedestrian-friendly areas in Atlanta than some other places I guess, overall it's not known to be anything but a car town. The rail system (MARTA) will get you from the very basic point A to point B areas, but it's a fraction of what the NYC system is in terms of coverage, so again, a car (and commutes) are part of the daily grind for most here.

Just some more realism.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
you better have a job first !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM

360 posts, read 1,011,483 times
It seems to me that NYC is a large enough place you can limit or cut the the contact with your family and personal issues without the expense of making a move. I know people there who would LIKE to see each other more often, but find it hard to get together.

You seem in a fragile/raw state right now, and making a move without job could just compound your problems.

That said, if you choose to move to Atlanta, I hope things turn around for you and it goes well.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,895 times
Quote:
I need to get away from my family who is letting my adult sister of 30 years old stay there and take advantage of my parents. We do not get along, I guess I'm the black sheep. I live on my own but I no longer think living near them will give me any peace as they refuse to change anything. This question relates to another post I posted: Removed by moderator - outside site links now allowed with no posting history. I also need to get away and try to break ties with my narcissist boyfriend (friend now).

We all seem to think the grass is greener on the other side until we get to the other side.
Atlanta is not NYC, the cost of living is cheaper here but so is the salary, and it is extermely hard to make it, as a assistant in the financial industry it should take you anywhere realistic about 1 yr to 1.5 to find a decent job. Also the commute to and from work, would mainly be by Marta, if you are in the area but mostly by car if not. Now just a little background, I am from NY I have 25 years experience as an accountant, and I am going back to school for a second degree in nursing. The nursing programs is about a 1 years waiting just to get in. Atlanta has no 2 year nursing programs that are private and even after getting my degree I will be somewhere around 20 p/h where in NY even if I moved upstate where the cost of living is close to ATL comfortable, I could travel back and forth into midtown and be at 50 to 60 per hour. With my accounting background and the experience I already gathered in nursing as a Medical Asst. I have taken a 50K pay cut, my spouse has taken a 30 pay cut he is in law enforcement worked for NYPD for 16.5 years. Most employers in Atlanta do not pay overtime, so you can forget about making extra cash to make ends meet. I say all this to say DONT COME TO ATL WITHOUT A J.O.B.! I did it I had income and I lost everything I had with the exception of a few clothes on my back, my wedding band, my mom pictures (my mom past away so thoese pictures where my last pictures) everything else gone.

Atlanta is also not like NYC in the sense that if you fall behind in NY you have other resources to turn to and you will not have them here, I have seen people getting all there belongings placed out on the street because they no longer have a job because of the economy and they where 1 or 2 days late on a rent payment or 30 days late on a mortage payment. Because GA is a right to work state you do not have union protection to bargin with an employer to not fire you in a time like this were the economy is bad so even if you get a job, how do you know how long it will last?.

With all that being said I would either stay put or do my research and find a state that is not taking the recession so bad right now, and I cant tell you what your experience will be but I will say be careful now is not the time to pick a state for the likeing you have to be able to make a stable decent living. I have made arrangements to put my daughter into private school and move back in with my inlaws, to save some money while looking for work back in either North VA or NYC, once one of us find something we will be moving back north, for us ATL nor FL before the recession just did not appeal to us.

But in any case, I wish you good luck, try to keep away from the family and let them make there own choices and carve there own path in life, this is all we can do for family sometime.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:08 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
We all seem to think the grass is greener on the other side until we get to the other side.
Atlanta is not NYC, the cost of living is cheaper here but so is the salary, and it is extermely hard to make it, as a assistant in the financial industry it should take you anywhere realistic about 1 yr to 1.5 to find a decent job. Also the commute to and from work, would mainly be by Marta, if you are in the area but mostly by car if not. Now just a little background, I am from NY I have 25 years experience as an accountant, and I am going back to school for a second degree in nursing. The nursing programs is about a 1 years waiting just to get in. Atlanta has no 2 year nursing programs that are private and even after getting my degree I will be somewhere around 20 p/h where in NY even if I moved upstate where the cost of living is close to ATL comfortable, I could travel back and forth into midtown and be at 50 to 60 per hour. With my accounting background and the experience I already gathered in nursing as a Medical Asst. I have taken a 50K pay cut, my spouse has taken a 30 pay cut he is in law enforcement worked for NYPD for 16.5 years. Most employers in Atlanta do not pay overtime, so you can forget about making extra cash to make ends meet. I say all this to say DONT COME TO ATL WITHOUT A J.O.B.! I did it I had income and I lost everything I had with the exception of a few clothes on my back, my wedding band, my mom pictures (my mom past away so thoese pictures where my last pictures) everything else gone.

Atlanta is also not like NYC in the sense that if you fall behind in NY you have other resources to turn to and you will not have them here, I have seen people getting all there belongings placed out on the street because they no longer have a job because of the economy and they where 1 or 2 days late on a rent payment or 30 days late on a mortage payment. Because GA is a right to work state you do not have union protection to bargin with an employer to not fire you in a time like this were the economy is bad so even if you get a job, how do you know how long it will last?.

With all that being said I would either stay put or do my research and find a state that is not taking the recession so bad right now, and I cant tell you what your experience will be but I will say be careful now is not the time to pick a state for the likeing you have to be able to make a stable decent living. I have made arrangements to put my daughter into private school and move back in with my inlaws, to save some money while looking for work back in either North VA or NYC, once one of us find something we will be moving back north, for us ATL nor FL before the recession just did not appeal to us.

But in any case, I wish you good luck, try to keep away from the family and let them make there own choices and carve there own path in life, this is all we can do for family sometime.
Good post.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:39 PM

22 posts, read 43,450 times
thanks for the thorough replies, especially from IMISSNY. I appreciate it. I realize I will probably need to stay put for now and see what the economy does in the next 6-12 months.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 AM
tsd

17 posts, read 48,611 times
Quote:

So leaving NY to ATL to get better commute time ... NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta