Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM

35 posts, read 95,293 times

Advertisements

I am seeking opinions and insights regarding my planned relocation to Atlanta. I have a family of 6 (3 adults [one elderly] & 3 school-age children) and am having some difficulty identifying homes worthy of submitting an offer. It’s easy to find homes within my price range that have adequate space; the challenge is determining which among I should actually put an offer on before other buyers place them under contract.

On one hand, I want to avoid tying up a lot of my money in earnest money deposits, spending for numerous home inspections, and frequently travelling to Atlanta to canvass neighborhoods and attend showings. On the other hand, I know I have to spend SOME money and allocate SOME time to this pursuit. It’s just difficult to strike the right balance because since I live out of state, I can’t just drive by every home that interests me to check it out. I have to plan for these trips to be cost-effective.

I thought about just renting an apartment in Atlanta first so I could be local while I house-hunt, but the idea of continuing to rent—with the rules, noisy neighbors, and obligatory, ever-increasing rent payment—is just not appealing. I know homes have expenses too—taxes, utilities, insurance, maintenance costs, etc., but not all of these are due on the first of the month with the immediate threat of eviction if I do not pay. As a homeowner, there’s a certain amount of flexibility in being able to save up for these periodic expenses. And, I want that flexibility so I can get some much-needed financial breathing room.

I am very determined to buy a house either this year or early next with some money I have saved up so I can eliminate this monthly rent payment that's crushing me and finally balance my household budget. The market is good for buyers right now and there are some financial incentives available to buyers, too. I chose Georgia because the climate is warm. I focused on the Atlanta metropolitan area because the cost of living is more affordable than where I live now. I prefer to live outside the city, so I initially chose Cobb and DeKalb counties since they both seem to be close enough to the city and provide access to MARTA bus lines and/or train stations. I have since restricted my search to DeKalb County since researching crime data from afar is easiest with DeKalb County. Their useful crime-mapping website makes long distance research quite simple. Plus DeKalb has the best supply of homes for sale within my price range. Within DeKalb, I am focused on homes in Stone Mountain, Lithonia, and unincorporated Decatur (not City of Decatur which is nice but out of my price range at this time).

If you were in my position, what things would you consider to make the best possible relocation decision and maximize the potential for a seamless transition?

Last edited by neverbored; 08-06-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM

81 posts, read 310,783 times
Can't tell from your posting if you are single or not, but it sounds as if you are. If that is the case, and you are not worried about schools, keeping the spouse happy etc., I would consider finding a room rental/ in law suite for a month or two. You can find them on craigslist...and do your search from there. You really would want to get a feel for a neighborhood and surrounding areas before you commit to the purchase. Get familiar with commute times to the job you will have, figure out what kind of after work life you want (night clubs, or hiking?), etc. You can then have your search narrowed and find a spot that is close to perfect for you.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
I'd get a house that's in as excellent shape as possible -- you don't want to have to move all the way to Atlanta and then have to fix a ton of things -- it can be a real time waster, not to mention having to find the right contractors, etc. You have the added advantage that you can afford more house for the money so you might be able to find just the right house in just the right neighborhood. Obviously, w/ elderly relatives you'll need a living space for them that feels like their own apartment, preferably not up a steep flight of stairs and where they can blare the TV (not trying to be funny).
Also, before you move, downsize as much as you possibly can b/c the last thing you want is to have the house crammed with boxes everywhere as you figure out what to do w/ a bunch of unecessary stuff when you're trying to get kids situated, etc.

As far as what Atlanta neighborhoods are nice, I have no clue, but I'm sure the locals will chime in -- I'm just chiming in about moving from one state to another, which is what I just went through.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
You do know that the schools in the areas you listed are generally considered below average which in GA is not very good? (Some of the worst are in the parts of unincorporated Decatur I bet you are looking at.)Some of the highest scoring schools in the area require a lottery to be admitted and after the entry grade level are nearly impossible to get in.

Where will your job be?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM

288 posts, read 543,349 times
I would rent for 6 months and be sure you are happy with a long-term committment. Things aren't what they seem from a distance.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Never, since you are coming from Alexandria I gather, you may not find the same quality of living in DeKalb that you now enjoy in Fairfax County.
My advice would be to come down for a week and tour the area.
I don't know where you live in Fairfax, but if it is Alexandria proper you may want to look into Buckhead.

There is a fictional view of the south that turns into surprising fact once folks move here. It's the old saying of "You get what you pay for"

The areas you mentioned here in your post are more like Prince George County to DC Southeast vs., Fairfax.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
In GA you do not have to give any earnest money by law. You can put down 1$ on a 400000 million $ home and they cannot force you to add a cent more. FYI.

Of course most sellers will only negotiate with you if you put some earnest money forward but 1$ and list price is perfectly reasonable. **Regardless** of what the agent says.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
One thing to consider: Rents are very low right now (compared to even a year or two ago) so you could rent for a while at a great price and even rent a nice house in a nice neighborhood and avoid the noisy apartment type places you are looking to get away from. Check out Craigslist for rentals.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
I can't imagine anyone moving to Dekalb without first checking it out first . I went through on way to Stone Mnt. and it was very bad place to be, imo.

I grew up in Dekalb county 45 years ago and it is like another planet there now .

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 95,293 times
No, I am not single; it would be a family move. Sorry if that was not previously clear. I updated my original post as soon as i realized that fact was not clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta