Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM

21 posts, read 66,278 times

Advertisements

she is 64, has a loving daughter and son as well as daughter in law and son in law...loving brother and mother and used to have a ton of friends. My parents divorced 10 years ago and she hasnt been the same since. It really got bad though once I got enagaged at 31 and she retired from the school system. Since then she has been severely depressed, abused prescription drugs, in and out of the hospital including a 28 day program that did NO good and this time she took over 100 pills and left a note. She is safe in a psych unit right now but I don't know for how long. I am the only local relative (well, and my husband) and I am at my wits end...I am sad, angry, hurt, confused, and could pretty much use any advice or insight any of you could give me at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
One of the biggest questions you'll face is what you're able to afford for care. Unfortunately, there's a big difference between what's available if you've got unlimited funds, and what you'll get if you've got little or no money for the care.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Default Mother

Hi I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Without going into any specifics I can tell you I know exactly how you feel. And I am so truly sorry for your suffering and stress. This kind of stuff really takes its toll on you (and your family). A lot of what Alanon and other organizations say about separating yourself from the addict is kind of useless when you love your mother and you don't want her out on the street.

You can look into some Independent living facilities or assisted living facilities for you mom here in the area. Some are pretty expensive but I remember one in Canton I looked at that was pretty reasonable. I can't remember the name but you can google Independent Living in Canton and it should turn up...it had bridge in the name.

Your Mom maybe too young for an assisted living environment but soon she'll be eligible for medicare (or medicaid can't remember which term is for seniors) and that can sometimes cover it. It may just be a good place for her. Also many places have a "spend down" plan that uses up all of their remaining assts then after they can stay using medicare dollars. At least in one of those places you'll know social workers are checking up on her, shes getting 3 meals a day and healthcare. Also depression among older people is pretty common so they can hanlde it.

Hopefully this helps and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,200 times
Sounds like your mom is clinically depressed. Pay close attention to whatever diagnosis they give her at the hospital. With a DSM-IV diagnosis she can quality for SSI, disability and most importantly, Medicaid. Unfortunately, I haven't worked as a social worker in Georgia, but I doubt the rules are much different here than they are in Alabama. Medicaid will pay for her care and treatment at a residential facility if the hospital indicates that it's necessary. At the hospital she should have a therapist and a social worker. You need to get on the horn with them right away. They should be able to direct you to facilities and help you apply for SSI. You'll need written psychological evaluations and they should be able to help you with that. They can also give you a list of facilities that will take a patient on Medicaid rates.

Now, on to you. What type of support network do you have in place to assist you? These type issues are always a drain on you emotionally and psychologically, you need to be talking with someone to help you work through this. It's always difficult when the tables turn and you have to parent your parent. With any luck, the hospital should have some type of family counseling available to help you get through this. Help is available, reach out for it. Caregivers need and deserve all the help and support they can get.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
I too am sorry to hear about the recent series of events.

This might be a good place to start:

The Link Counseling Center I volunteered for them while I was in high school.

United Way of Metropolitan Atlanta

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
cj7

38 posts, read 325,600 times
Default how is your mom doing today?

I hope with all the good information you received here that you were able to help your mom.
Best to you.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
Skyland Trail-Atlanta: Bipolar, depression, dual diagnosis schizophrenia residential treatment. Adult mental health care, therapy, treatment and counseling. Hope for adults with mental illness through caring psychiatric care.

Take a look at Skyland Trail. I have done some volunteer work for them in the past and they are a very caring, high quality facility with excellent transition programs for easing her back into regular life after she improves with more intensive therapy.

Good luck. You are a good daughter - your mom is fortunate to have you in her life even if she cannot express this right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: