Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,285 times

Advertisements

I am curious if it is possible to live, work and play in Atlanta. But, only use public transportation to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
I am curious if it is possible to live, work and play in Atlanta. But, only use public transportation to get around?
Yes it is as long as you live in the City of Atlanta or along the East line of MARTA in Dekalb county and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. The first car I ever purchased was last year and it wasn't because I couldn't afford one. I just didn't have a need to as I have never lived more than 5 blocks from a MARTA station.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:45 PM

288 posts, read 543,094 times
Yes, I lived in a high rise in buckhead for 5 years and happily did not own a car. The peachtree road bus #23 runs every 8 minutes and there was a subway station a couple of miles away in either direction.
I love not owning a car and it saves a ton of money.

The key is to live very close to a subway station and/or on peachtree where the bus runs very often.

Last edited by johnnyboy2008; 08-22-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy2008 View Post
The peachtree road bus #23 runs every 8 minutes
Not anymore. The #23 bus line was cut completely in the most recent round of service cutbacks in response to MARTA's budget problems: MARTA service cuts start Aug. 15 | Fresh Loaf

Frequency was reduced on rail service and a number of other bus lines as well. It's still possible to survive in Atlanta without a car, but it's even harder than it already was now.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Not anymore. The #23 bus line was cut completely in the most recent round of service cutbacks in response to MARTA's budget problems: MARTA service cuts start Aug. 15 | Fresh Loaf

Frequency was reduced on rail service and a number of other bus lines as well. It's still possible to survive in Atlanta without a car, but it's even harder than it already was now.
UGH! You do realize that the #110 follows almost the exact same route, right? It'll now cover the times that the #23 didn't and it actually goes further (all the way downtown) than the #23 did.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Besides it was only a matter of time before one of the routes went. When the streetcar gets put in the point will be moot.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
If you live in Fulton or DeKalb counties, yes you can live without a car somewhat easily. In Cobb County, you could but it would be very inconvenient as the busses run only every hour or half hour at the most and they do not run on Sunday except to Six Flags. And they quit running at 11 or 12 midnight. So while it is "possible" in Cobb, it is not "recommended".

Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
UGH! You do realize that the #110 follows almost the exact same route, right? It'll now cover the times that the #23 didn't and it actually goes further (all the way downtown) than the #23 did.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Besides it was only a matter of time before one of the routes went. When the streetcar gets put in the point will be moot.
Is #110 the route that is nicknamed "The Peach" due to the route being along Peachtree St.? If I lived in Atlanta I would want to live close to a MARTA Station. Even Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, or Alpharetta would be nice. Cobb County also has express CCT buses that go to Midtown.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Cobb County also has express CCT buses that go to Midtown.
Note though, that the Xpress bus system usually just runs a few buses in the early A.M. hours, and then a few runs back again in the later afternoon hours. Some MIGHT have one "reverse commute" route midday. It's not an all day back and forth bus system. I wouldn't want to live carless and have to rely ONLY on that route.

The Hiram/Powder Springs route is such a route. There's maybe one or two apartment complexes in Hiram that are within reasonable walking distance to that park/ride Xpress stop (as well as a super Target for groceries, and other stores/restaurants), but the Powder Springs lot is pretty isolated and meant to be driven to, as Powder Springs doesn't allow apartment complexes within the town limits and there's no retail within walking distance of that lot as well.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Note though, that the Xpress bus system usually just runs a few buses in the early A.M. hours, and then a few runs back again in the later afternoon hours. Some MIGHT have one "reverse commute" route midday. It's not an all day back and forth bus system. I wouldn't want to live carless and have to rely ONLY on that route.

The Hiram/Powder Springs route is such a route. There's maybe one or two apartment complexes in Hiram that are within reasonable walking distance to that park/ride Xpress stop (as well as a super Target for groceries, and other stores/restaurants), but the Powder Springs lot is pretty isolated and meant to be driven to, as Powder Springs doesn't allow apartment complexes within the town limits and there's no retail within walking distance of that lot as well.
The CCT bus #10 runs from Marietta via Cumberland Mall to the Arts Center Station about every 15 min. between 5 a.m. and midnight on weekdays, and every 30 min. from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays (unfortunately CCT doesn't run on Sundays, so no taking the bus to church) .

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct/10out.htm

Last edited by SEAandATL; 08-22-2009 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: rewording

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The CCT bus #10 runs from Marietta via Cumberland Mall to the Arts Center Station about every 15 min. between 5 a.m. and midnight on weekdays, and every 30 min. from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays
You're right - I was mixed up when you said, "express CCT buses"... as the regular route does make stops every-other block while it's still in Cobb County. The "Xpress" buses are also run by CCT on the Cobb routes, but they only stop at the designated park and ride lots before going into Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta