Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM

125 posts, read 636,201 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

Any reccs on professionals to mount a 32" flat screen? I may mount 2 (one over a fireplace, and one not over a fireplace). Aren't their special things to consider (regarding equipment) when mounting over a fireplace?

Anyhow - any reccs?? I've checked Geek Squad, etc... was hoping for something less expensive.

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
My spouse is refinishing a fireplace after which he plans to mount a TV above. I think he mentioned the TV needs to be at least 12" above the mantel. After researching mounting kits, he found one he liked at a good price at Walmart. Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM

188 posts, read 680,439 times
I am in a similar boat as OP. BestBuy.com has some wall hanging kits for less than $30.00 and there are good reviews for it. Costco had a sale going on last month for some very sturdy ones for about $160 (I think). There are several contractors listed on Craigslist advertising these installations starting at $75.00 and increasing depending on size of the TV and what not.

Frankly, I have not done enough homework. I have heard that there needs to be "supporting Beams" to hang these LCD's.

I have some general questions on mounting LCD's.

1) Can this be a DIY job? (First time home owner not a expert in 'fixing' things )
2) Mine has to be over fire place. I am thinking to use/purchase end tables on either side of fireplace to store my HD cable box, DVD, Playstation etc. Is this the most common set up? Only other set up I have seen is something like step ladder on one side of TV but I have windows on either side of my fireplace.
3) Are there any gotcha's that I should be watching out for?

TIA

Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Panasonic Plasma TVs are great. Better quality picture than LCD, and unlike the "old days" where plasma had a habit of fading over time, the new ones don't do that. Excellent choice, and the prices have come down to make way for newer LED sets that are coming out. Costco as someone said is the best deal, and you get a 2 year warranty with them if you buy at Costco.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM

125 posts, read 636,201 times
Thanks RainyRainyDay for the info

All: I was looking moreso for reccs on TV mounting companies/pros. I already have my TV's, but I am wayyyyy too nervous (and lack all 'building' skills) to try to make it a DIY project. I am def. looking to pay someone to do this for me.... was just wondering if anyone can recc. a particular company and/or professional.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I had a H/O use this company:
Home Theater Installation: Atlanta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta Area
They did a good job.
Generally, my electrician does the installs (this was a friend of a friend kindda thing).
The main thing is having the framing support in the wall- if it's not there, make sure that whom ever you use can do the framing (bracing), drywall, and painting. Along with any wiring that may have to be done (low voltage doesn't usually require a permit but regular 110v wiring would require a permit).

Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 PM

41 posts, read 96,520 times
Fry's Electronics has a great selection of wall mounts also.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 22,039 times
I recondmend using an electrician from a reputable company. Get the bracket from them so its included in the warranty. Make sure they have a lifetime quality warranty.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,493 times
Mounting the one over the fireplace will be quite a bit harder than the one without if you are intending on hiding the wires inside the wall. It's really not that hard, I hung both my tvs on the wall and concealed the wires inside the wall. As someone else mentioned-try Craigslist.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
We just had a professional install done exactly like the OP. One over the stone fireplace and one on the wall in the BR. I would highly recommend the man who did it. (From Gainesville). This man knew his stuff, helped us acquire all the equipment for less than it cost at Best Buy, and did a very professional job. He helped us create a home theater room that we love.

If the OP is interested in his name and number, give me a shout by private message and I'll give his phone number....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta