Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM

156 posts, read 433,559 times

Advertisements

GA Tech is going to really start to suffer with all of this crime over there. I sure wouldn't send my kids there.

Tech students robbed at gunpoint *| ajc.com

Some of the crime stats are down across the city, but it's these kinds of crimes that really scare people. There are more innocents being targeted now and the crime is more violent. We have to get crime under control or this city will never reach its full potential. Get out and demand better from your officials!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I found it weird, it happened the same weekend, GA Tech, APD And GSP were suppose to do a crackdown in the area...

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I agree. Whatever it is that APD and GaTechPD are currently doing, it is nothing like enough. Time to take the kids gloves off, "community activists" and others be d--ned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
GA Tech is going to really start to suffer with all of this crime over there. I sure wouldn't send my kids there.

Tech students robbed at gunpoint *| ajc.com

Some of the crime stats are down across the city, but it's these kinds of crimes that really scare people. There are more innocents being targeted now and the crime is more violent. We have to get crime under control or this city will never reach its full potential. Get out and demand better from your officials!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Since my HS senior wants to major in engineering, we always thought Tech would be his college of choice. No how, no way does he want to be there. He does a dual enrollment calc course through Tech right now, and attends class one evening/week, so he is familiar with the campus, but the kids are aware of the news reports, and travel as a group. Meanwhile, I worry the entire time.

Who wants to send their kid off to an unsafe area?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Since my HS senior wants to major in engineering, we always thought Tech would be his college of choice. No how, no way does he want to be there. He does a dual enrollment calc course through Tech right now, and attends class one evening/week, so he is familiar with the campus, but the kids are aware of the news reports, and travel as a group. Meanwhile, I worry the entire time.

People should tell their naive kids not to walk around the areas around the campus at 1 AM in the morning with an Ipod in their ear, a laptop omn their back, and a cell phone in their pocket. I live not to far from Tech and allot of my neighbors are students there, and I see them all the time milling around half drunk at 2 in the morning without a care in the world. How stupid can you be? I mean I could see someone walking around the Tech campus itself like that without any worries, but why in the world would someone think that they can walk around like that when they are not on the campus anymore??? After the last Thursday night Tech home game I was driving home from work and saw a ton of Tech students park in the Tivoli Apartments on Northside before the game started, the very same parking garage where they car jacked and shot that Tech student in the chest during the summer. Later that night I went up to City Café to get something to eat and upon my driving home, who did I see walking back down 10th Street back across Northside at almost midnight???? Scores of Tech students, some literally stumbling around, some on cell phones, and others holding hands, and I would bet the house that almost none of them were aware of their surroundings. Yes I fault the robbers who perpetuate these crimes, but I also fault the idiot Tech students who feel its kosher to walk around in areas near campus, but not on campus without a care in the world. As if the residents of nearby communities like English Ave, Herdon Homes, and the Bluff don’t know that the students in nearby GA Tech exist. Naïve, sometimes buzzed college students+ walking around with electronics, sometimes cash and usually a wallet with plastic or maybe even a nice car= a stick up kids wet dream. And people wonder why this stuff continues???????

Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
I live near GA Tech (In fact we have a lot of Ga Tech students in our Condo building just across the connector). I hope this stops real soon but from what I understand its only on one side near campus and has only been late at night. I'd hate to see people not consider the school because of this. There are many areas around campus where one can live that are quite safe. Of course normal precautions should always be taken. Unless one lives between campus and Atlantic Station are students really going over that way late at night (even night classes don't run at 11:30). That said this has happened to many times in recent month and needs to stop.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:

Yes! My HS sophomore hopes to study engineering at Tech, too. This has been seeming like a great idea until this year's crime wave. I hope like heck the problem is gotten under control before her time to apply to colleges. I don't want to send my daughter off to a crime zone.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
11:30 on a Saturday night is not late. Why would anybody want to feel restricted to campus when they are surrounded by city life?

It doesn't matter whether or not you think the students are exhibiting good judgement. There are plenty of other schools in safer areas to attend, and parents are taking note. This will hurt Tech applications next year for sure. Hopefully they can curtail the robberies before the results are more lasting.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Quote:
11:30 on a Saturday night is not late. Why would anybody want to feel restricted to campus when they are surrounded by city life?

It doesn't matter whether or not you think the students are exhibiting good judgement. There are plenty of other schools in safer areas to attend, and parents are taking note. This will hurt Tech applications next year for sure. Hopefully they can curtail the robberies before the results are more lasting.
I agree, students should not feel restricted to campus, but at the same time students should exercise good judgment when the leave campus at night. The college I went to was located in NW (Uptown) DC in a not so safe neighborhood, and the only morons who got robbed were the idiots who went off campus by themselves, or went off campus dressed to the nines like they were going to a fashion show, or better yet the oblivious student walking off campus talking on their new blackberry (or iPhone nowadays) when they should be looking around them. Every time I left campus on foot I made sure to put the new Nikes my moms sent me away and put some bummy clothes on, leave the cell in the room, and always, always made sure to walk with a purpose and I never had any problems.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM

285 posts, read 876,429 times
I lived in Home Park (the neighborhood in question) for 6 years while I was going to tech and after I got out. I only heard of one robbery at gun point the whole time I was there. I had my car broken into once. I walked around that neighborhood alone at god only knows what hour in various states of impairment and never had an issue. I felt totally safe when I lived there, it sucks that it is so bad now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: