Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM

214 posts, read 565,249 times

Advertisements

Thinking about heading to the mountains next month with SO and 2.5 yo. Trying to decide between Asheville and Blue Ridge.

How is the Blue Ridge area? What are some things to do? Any good eats?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:03 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
If you go to Blue Ridge, check out Toccoa Riverside. It's excellent. Toccoa Riverside Restaurant & Shallowford Rivershack on the Toccoa Riverside in the North Georgia Mountains. The restaurant is about 8 miles out of Blue Ridge.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
If you go to Blue Ridge, check out Toccoa Riverside. It's excellent. Toccoa Riverside Restaurant & Shallowford Rivershack on the Toccoa Riverside in the North Georgia Mountains. The restaurant is about 8 miles out of Blue Ridge.
Antiques--

You seem to know a good bit about north Ga and many other things.

I was thinking about a fall/apple visit to the area and saw this bit of news.
Investigators say couple tied to religious cult may have sexually assaulted more women *| ajc.com

Have you heard anything about this--it seems to be very difficult to obtain information that might be vital to safety. I guess single females shouldn't venture out at all?

tia

Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I would like to second this. We ate there a year or so ago, and it was an excellent restaurant.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanx.

antiquesmountainapache & rcsteiner: Any sites/places you recommend we visit?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 AM

145 posts, read 361,558 times
Blue Ridge: I have stayed here a couple of times and love it. It is on the Toccoa River. Beautiful, special place.
River Dwelling

Old 10-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Good afternoon, everyone. Leaf time is getting near! Here are some websites and other information. BlueRidgeMountains.com will give you a lot of information about the area. For all of the apple people, I found a great print out list for the orchards on Hwy 52 East -- "Apple Orchard Alley". Pick yourown.org/gaapples.php isn't a "pick your own" list but names all of the orchard markets and roadside markets. It's a great resource. Scroll down the page and you'll see the information. Mmm . . . I'm tasting apple cider and fried apple pies already!To me, any place in our Georgia mountains is absolutely beautiful in the fall, but a visit to the orchards is the icing on the cake! There's a Mercier Orchards in the Blue Ridge area, but this is one place I've never been. Panorama Orchards (Panorama Orchards.com) is a few miles south of Ellijay, right off 515. It's included in a lot of tours and has great food. Expect large crowds at Panorama on the weekends. I heard about the cult issue on WSB Wednesday and read about it in the paper. This is so unfortunate. We all need to look out for our own safety and practice common sense, regardless of our sex or age. I certainly don't want any of my family or friends becoming the next Meredith Emerson or Christy Cornwell. My heart goes out those families and any other victims of foul play. Just remember what your mother told you, "there's safety in numbers".

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Great info! We were hoping that the leaves would remain until we get there. . .and that there would be ample color.

Also, we were thinking about visiting an orchard. . .so thanks for the additional info about those.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
Thanx.

antiquesmountainapache & rcsteiner: Any sites/places you recommend we visit?
We've just been to Blue Ridge and environs once (September 2008), so I don't know a lot, but we had a lot of fun just bumming around the little mainstreet area (a long series of gift shops, craft shops, clothing shops, etc.) including what I considered to be a VERY nice little book store (I like older books which they had in surprising quantity, others might be disappointed).

We also took the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway which goes back and forth between Blue Ridge and a little town which is literally right on the GA/TN border (the town is split in half, and they've spraypainted lines here and there to show the border). The train ride is relaxing, but not super exciting.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM

RC, thanks for the info regarding the railroad. I forgot about that! The split town is McCaysville (Georgia side) and Copperhill (Tennessee side). Also, thanks for the information about the bookstore. I know a friend who is hunting some older (1915 and back) cookbooks for a project. Sleepless, you will love the orchards. Be sure you include the ones on Hwy 52 east, which will take you through East Ellijay and Cartecay. This is the area known as "Orchard Alley". The leaves are late this year, so November is slated to be a gorgeous month. Blue Ridge and Ellijay both have adorable, quaint shopping areas. The orchards and leaves are just the crowning touch in the fall. I love the mountains -- that's why they are part of my screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta