Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a job in Marietta in two weeks. Can anyone tell me of a good school district in or around that area. I really don't want to commute more than 30-45 minutes. Also, I looked at some of the schools and they have a dress code. Is that an indication of anything because in Birmingham usually the only schools that have a dress code are not in very good areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 21,081 times
Most of the schools in East Cobb (marietta) are ranked very high and the main reason everyone moves there. If you go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and read the parent comments you can get a good idea of the school atmosphere and administration.

How old are your kids? The High Schools in East Cobb are Walton, Wheeler, Lassiter, Pope, Sprayberry - The most desired is Walton, but they all have good qualities. Walton has the most expensive real estate because everyone wants to be in that district.

Good luck

Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeEtte View Post
The High Schools in East Cobb are Walton, Wheeler, Lassiter, Pope, Sprayberry - The most desired is Walton, but they all have good qualities. Walton has the most expensive real estate because everyone wants to be in that district.
The schools in East Cobb are very good, but I just wanted to also mention that Harrison HS and Kennesaw Mtn HS in West Cobb (Marietta and Kennesaw postal addresses) are as good as Wheeler and Sprayberry and better by some indicators.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The schools in East Cobb are very good, but I just wanted to also mention that Harrison HS and Kennesaw Mtn HS in West Cobb (Marietta and Kennesaw postal addresses) are as good as Wheeler and Sprayberry and better by some indicators.
Marietta High School (Marietta school district, not Cobb County) is also very good from what I've heard.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeEtte View Post
Most of the schools in East Cobb (marietta) are ranked very high and the main reason everyone moves there. If you go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and read the parent comments you can get a good idea of the school atmosphere and administration.

How old are your kids? The High Schools in East Cobb are Walton, Wheeler, Lassiter, Pope, Sprayberry - The most desired is Walton, but they all have good qualities. Walton has the most expensive real estate because everyone wants to be in that district.

Good luck

Remember, Kell is also considered an East Cobb school. Half of its district (and the school itself) are in East Cobb.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
True...one really can't go wrong with any of these schools:

East Cobb: Pope, Wheeler, Sprayberry, Walton, Kell, Lassiter

West Cobb: Kennesaw Mountain, Harrison, Allatoona, Hillgrove

Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Marietta High School (Marietta school district, not Cobb County) is also very good from what I've heard.
Yep!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM

10 posts, read 21,081 times
Very True, Kell, Harrison and Marietta are great too.

Newsweek does a yearly ranking of top high schools in the country America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Many of our schools are listed in the top 1000.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
True...one really can't go wrong with any of these schools:

East Cobb: Pope, Wheeler, Sprayberry, Walton, Kell, Lassiter

West Cobb: Kennesaw Mountain, Harrison, Allatoona, Hillgrove
Just wondering why you wouldn't list North Cobb with this group. Has its reputation gone down significantly in the 5 years since I've moved away?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 AM

45 posts, read 143,446 times
Once you have narrowed down the school you can use atlantamls.com to search for homes in that area. Under the county search there is a drop down for schools once a school selected it will show you houses in that school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta