Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 16,467 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of the suburbs where I have lived the past few years since moving back to the US and have no clue where to start.

I want my own apartment, but I can't necessarily afford much more than 600 a month. My brother is in Athens, and I've thought of that area, but I've also thought it would be cool to relocate to Lawrenceville or some such area.

My main objective is to move north-east of McDonough so as to stay fairly close (within reasonable 'visit' distance but far enough for space) to my parents, while also not being too far from my brother in Athens. I prefer being able to walk places, but driving is ok. I am sick of the commutes of 1 or 2 hours to and from work, so I'm not really interested in moving too close to the Atlanta downtown area. I'd like an apartment community that is safe, and more geared to the younger generation (since I am 24). I'd also prefer that the area be predominantly caucasian...no offense. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Might I add that I am currently unemployed and willing to relocate to wherever there is work, but I would like to have an idea of my options nonetheless.

Last edited by JungleGirl; 11-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 PM

119 posts, read 302,304 times
I'm not sure what type of area you're looking for. Lawrenceville or any area northeast of McDonough is suburban. Are you looking for a place with an urban feel, or are you looking for something between McDonough and Athens? Because I don't think you're going to find a place that meets both criteria.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
I'm not sure what type of area you're looking for. Lawrenceville or any area northeast of McDonough is suburban. Are you looking for a place with an urban feel, or are you looking for something between McDonough and Athens? Because I don't think you're going to find a place that meets both criteria.
Mostly I'd like it to be slightly closer to Atlanta without being too far from either Athens or McDonough. And if it comes down to it, I'd rather be closer to Athens than to McDonough.. I do like a slightly urban feel, however I would be fine with anywhere as long as it is away from my familiar area...Thank you for any help!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 AM

119 posts, read 302,304 times
If you definitely want your own place, but can afford no more than $600 per month (would that be just rent or rent and utilities?), then that is going to limit your options. Your safety would probably be an issue at the type of apartment complexes (and surrounding areas in general) that charge less than $600 per month. I'm sure there are always deals to be found, but most of the east metro area I'm familiar with is testimony to the fact that lower rent equals more crime.

Unless you like to have lots of parties and people over to your home, one thing to consider would be renting part of a home (such as a basement apartment) or secondary suite (a.k.a. an in-law suite). I've done this myself and was able to live in a nice, safe area, that I otherwise would not have been able to afford, and it was very convenient to my work at the time.

With all that in mind I'd suggest you look at these areas. The city of Decatur (and area to the north of the city limits), Tucker, and Loganville. If you're willing to consider a place as far north as Lawrenceville, then I'd recommend looking at the area around the Mall of Georgia. I don't know enough about places in Rockdale and Newton counties to give you my opinion, but they would in that area between McDonough and Athens. Also, I would still keep Athens in mind since there are probably different sorts of housing alternatives in a college town, and from what I've read unemployment has not been as bad there due to the college.

I'd suggest you drive to some or all of the areas I mentioned (and any others you'd like) and see what your initial impressions of each place are before committing to any one location.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 AM

Thanks, Eunomia!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
If you are looking for a predominately white area, then I am not sure Decatur or Lawrenceville is the right place for you. You probably need to go a bit further north than Lawrenceville, as it is only 48% white. You are not going to find a nice place to rent in Decatur in a white area for $600.

I think you should try Buford or Dacula, which are both a little bit north of Lawrenceville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta