Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 43,587 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the ATL area next year when I retire. I want to just out and out buy a sfr or townhome so I will have no mortgage. That means keeping the price down. I've thinking about three cities I've seen properties I like in. Lawrenceville, Ellenwood & McDonough. I won't need to commute but my granddaughter will be with me and will attend college, not sure where yet. Any opinions about these three areas? One more, Powder Springs? By the way I live in Antioch, CA right now.

Last edited by fanniems; 08-21-2009 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: missing important info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
I just recently moved to here, but from what I can tell, you should probably see where your granddaughter is going to go to college before making a decision. Her commute could be pretty rough depending on where she goes to school and where she lives.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,422 times
Post Ellenwood or McDonough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanniems View Post
I am planning to move to the ATL area next year when I retire. I want to just out and out buy a sfr or townhome so I will have no mortgage. That means keeping the price down. I've thinking about three cities I've seen properties I like in. Lawrenceville, Ellenwood & McDonough. I won't need to commute but my granddaughter will be with me and will attend college, not sure where yet. Any opinions about these three areas? One more, Powder Springs? By the way I live in Antioch, CA right now.

Ellenwood is in Clayton County which has been hit hard with the housing situation therefore you can get a good deal on a house. Clayton State University is also close by. McDonough is in Henry County which has been called the fastest grown county in Georgia for a number of years. Don't know much about Lawarenceville or Powder Springs.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks Eresh, that's a good thought. The commute factor seems to be a big thing in the area. I have to keep that in mind. What area did you recently move to and how do you like it?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks Spinagedip. About how far is McDonough from Clayton college? Is it a hard commute?

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinagedip View Post
houseEllenwood is in Clayton County which has been hit hard with the housing situation therefore you can get a good deal on a house. Clayton State University is also close by. McDonough is in Henry County which has been called the fastest grown county in Georgia for a number of years. Don't know much about Lawarenceville or Powder Springs.
Actually, Ellenwood is comprised of Clayton, Henry, and DeKalb Counties. I'd stick with the Ellenwood portion in Henry County. The drive from Ellenwood, Henry County, to Clayton State University is not a bad commute. What majors interest your daughter will also determine where she goes to college. Clayton State University is a liberal arts college (mainly philosophy, psychology, middle grades education, etc.).

I think you could tell us more once your granddaughter decides where she's going to school because if she's going somewhere like UGA (Athens, Northeast) or the State University of West Georgia (Carrollton,West), then I would not be trying to move to Ellenwood or McDonough unless she is going to stay on campus. In that case, Lawrenceville would be closer to UGA, and Powder Springs would be close to the State University of West Georgia and both are pretty cool areas.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanniems View Post
Thanks Eresh, that's a good thought. The commute factor seems to be a big thing in the area. I have to keep that in mind. What area did you recently move to and how do you like it?
I moved to Stockbridge (Henry County) and work at Clayton State. So far I've found that the commute isn't too bad. I take the back roads, and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work. I've only been here a month, but no complaints yet.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Right now my granddaughter is going to a Jr college here in the Bay Area, her first semester. If she does come with me she would probably attend junior college close by for one more year and then transfer to a 4 yr and it's probable that she would either stay on campus or some kind of student housing. She's interested in nursing. My main goal when I first make the move will be more geared towards moving somewhere that is not to full of crime. I mean there's crime everywhere but the more research I do, it seems that certain part of the area are really bad. I'm trying to avoid those areas and still get the most house possible for my money. I'm hoping to have no mortgage so I'm looking in the $60 - 70K range. Forclosed condo/townhouse is fine. Thanks for your insight.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:20 PM

I saw Stockbridge when I was looking at places in the area on the mamp. Looks like a nice place.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM

another city that's popping up in my search is Mableton. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta