Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbrooks View Post
I visited this site quite a bit in 2008 before moving to Atlanta and read all these stories about how Atlanta is unsafe and a difficult city to live in. I wanted to stop by again and say that I love Atlanta, having lived here a year and a half. It's a great city with so much to do, great restaurants, and very interesting people. I've made many friends from diverse backgrounds and I really love it here.

Good luck to all of you moving here. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you have an open mind and are willing to try new things!
I'm glad that your move has been a positive one. I am contemplating a move there soon, so reading your post regarding the city was refreshing. Each time I visit Atlanta, I love it more. It's really a nice city and seems to have something to offer everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 AM

225 posts, read 586,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
As I like to say, Atlanta has something to p*** off just about everybody.
Ha! This is hilarious. I guess this is the cost of having so many options.

Does anyone find it humorous that people complain about the traffic in Atlanta? I never had more than a half hour commute to work (during traffic) so to me, it seemed more like it was out of towners complaining about traffic because they seem to hit the city at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
Ha! This is hilarious. I guess this is the cost of having so many options.

Does anyone find it humorous that people complain about the traffic in Atlanta? I never had more than a half hour commute to work (during traffic) so to me, it seemed more like it was out of towners complaining about traffic because they seem to hit the city at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon.
Really more curious as to why it always gets singled out for its traffic problems. Have you ever experienced a metro of 5 million + that didn't have horrendous traffic issues?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post

Actually, the problem is that a lot of people who relocate here don't do their homework before the move, or, don't study the metro area maps to figure out where everything is once they do get here. So, they'll move to Cobb but interview for and get a job in Gwinnett. Or move to Gwinnett and get a job in Cobb... live in Alpharetta and work downtown, etc etc etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Actually, the problem is that a lot of people who relocate here don't do their homework before the move, or, don't study the metro area maps to figure out where everything is once they do get here. So, they'll move to Cobb but interview for and get a job in Gwinnett. Or move to Gwinnett and get a job in Cobb... live in Alpharetta and work downtown, etc etc etc.
Yes. Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. When anyone relocates its so important to get a map and plot where everything is. That's what we did. We plotted my husbands job, synagogues and shopping on a map. Then we looked at neighborhoods and schools within proximity. We actually did the commutes after that. Made life so much easier.

It's also important like you said to research the area. Lots of people move with a false sense of expectations because they didn't do their homework.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM

304 posts, read 856,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I agree. I too have been planning to move. but I'vebeen doing my homework for over 2 years...hoping to move in a year or so depending on the job market.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM

32 posts, read 203,346 times
I just got back from visiting Atlanta and I must say this........there are a lot of RUDE people there its ridiculous from the club to the mall to traffic everybody I ran accross was rude and seemed upset I had to ask what happened to that southern hospitality I hear so much about? But inspite of that I am moving in two weeks...and sooo excited!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyforchange03/10 View Post
I just got back from visiting Atlanta and I must say this........there are a lot of RUDE people there its ridiculous from the club to the mall to traffic everybody I ran accross was rude and seemed upset I had to ask what happened to that southern hospitality I hear so much about? But inspite of that I am moving in two weeks...and sooo excited!!!
Haha, well I hope you find it more accommodating once you get here. Also, I love Atlanta, but I really wouldn't describe it as particularly Southern anymore. Get outside the city and you will see it however. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta