Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM

62 posts, read 436,247 times

Advertisements

but it's those types holding back a city with mass potential to be looked upon as a high tech city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
When I went back to visit my family in GA in June '07, I noticed even more new features throughout the city. One of the first thing i noticed when I got off the plane at Hartsfield-Jackson was when I went to throw something away in the trash-can, it actually made a grinding sound and I figured it compresses the trash to make more room. That is something I have yet to see in San Diego. I called them "robot trash cans", lol. Speaking of robots, GA Tech now has a robotics department, and they hosted Robocup 2007. I think Atlanta gets a lot of ideas from Tokyo from what I've seen. One thing Tokyo has that Atlanta could really use is overhead freeway maps that have a color coding to show which freeways are congested. A good place to have those is on the 75, 85, or 20 right before the 285. Do any of you know where I can submit a suggestion like that to?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
GA Tech is now building a large nano technology research center that will make it one of it not the top player in nano tech development. This technology is too young to tell if it will be that important in the future. But, if it does turn out to create big new industries GA will be in on the ground floor of something big.

Sonny Purdue had the forsight to see this and pushed for funding for the center. How such a thing could come from the same governor that has strived to keep our public transit in the stone age is beyond me but i welcome it.

I recently read in the AJC that Atlanta based entrepreneurs are leaders in the development of cell phone gaming. Atlanta definately needs to concentrate on bringing in more high tech jobs as traditional manufacturing in america is going extinct (shipped overseas) as evidenced by the closing of both our auto assembly plants. High tech jobs pay more and provide more tax base than most service jobs.

A lot of the weight to drive GA ahead is on the shoulders of GA tech. GA needs more engineering schools not nearly enough considering the size of this state in comparision to other states. More schools with more graduates and research centers attract high tech co.s and hopefully spawn some home grown tech firms.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-26-2007 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
When you say "hi-tech" I think of modern Asian cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, and Singapore. All these cities feature public transportation infrastructure far more efficient than what we have here and 3G connectivity is pretty much everywhere.
Ditto.

I certainly don't think Atlanta is "backwater" by any means, but I don't associate it with "high tech" either.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 14,152 times
See the latest issue of Fast Company magazine....Atlanta is emerging quickly and far better technologically than a whole lot of cities.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That may be true, but it's also behind others.

I moved here from the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, and I really do love it here in Atlanta, but IMO the Atlanta metro area could really use a few more intelligent stoplights (both in terms of light coordination and in terms of coordination with approaching emergency vehicles), and the bike trail system here does not seem to be very well-developed (perhaps intentionally?).
I have come across this site that ranked MSP as the most hi-tech city in the United States, followed by Atlanta as #2. It was interesting and caught me by surprise, like how San Francisco and San Jose are ranked lower than I thought they would be.

How Did Your City Do? - Popular Science

Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 PM

210 posts, read 545,913 times
I think it's as hi-tech as the south gets. I can't think of another southern city that has more.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I have come across this site that ranked MSP as the most hi-tech city in the United States, followed by Atlanta as #2. It was interesting and caught me by surprise, like how San Francisco and San Jose are ranked lower than I thought they would be.

How Did Your City Do? - Popular Science
Interesting article. I'm not too surpised that the Twin Cities fared well, and I'm glad Atlanta did also. Each city has a lot of good points, I think.

I used to live within a mile or so of the MoA in east Bloomington, MN, and while I'm not really a big fan of the place (it's very large) as a mall, the Camp Snoopy (or whatever it's called now) amusement parklet in the center was a very nice place to visit in January/February -- one of the few places where you could see real live green trees and pretend it was summer outside. :-)

Atlanta doesn't have an issue with a lack of trees, and neither does Minneapolis in the summer, but things get awfully black/white/grey in the wintertime, and big black leafless sticks poking out of the snow just aren't the same...

Old 08-27-2007, 11:13 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
The OP is from Seattle...Information Technology.

In the past 15 years, Atlanta has been consistently in the top 10 for IT jobs.

Athens, GA (aka the University of GA area) is entirely connected like Denver by a free, public Wifi cloud.

Atlanta is also known as an information security mecca with many companies founded.

Just like Silicon Valley, there are several main high tech areas in town-
1. Oakbrook Pkwy in Norcross has a ton of startups
2. Around Perimeter Mall
3. Mansell Rd in Alpharetta
4. Downtown near GT (I forgot the name of the center...it's a glass building complex meant for the GT incubator companies).
5. Downtown

Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 AM

371 posts, read 1,554,996 times
Atlanta's tech savvy is one of the things that attracted our company to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta