Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 AM

24 posts, read 53,095 times

Advertisements

Moving to ATL this summer. We will be visiting at the end of April. We are an African American family. My children are into sports, taking guitar and drum lessons, and they also play sports (football/basketball). Which area do you think they would better fit in, Dacula, Buford or Suwanee? They are ages 16 and 14. Which area offers things that this age group would enjoy. Waterparks, bowling, skating rinks, neighborhoods with their age range would be a big plus. Also, are these areas known for gangs or gang related activity? PLEASE HELP!!! Any and all advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
"Dacula, Buford or Suwanee?"

All Gwinnett Co.- And there's plenty of gang activity there. Well, everywhere!
City of Buford schools has a very good football program- they have gone to state playoffs several years. Norcross has had a good B'ball program and the football is good too.
What price range are you looking?
You may want to consider the Marietta area as well. Or is Gwinnett your primary because of employment?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

15 posts, read 21,407 times
I'm also curious as to why just those areas? I've lived in Gwinnett and Dekalb Counties for years. Gang activity may exist but I've seen no proof of it. Just stay out of low priced apartment complexes. Sometimes it's just kids who have nothing else to do.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
I recommend living within the City of Buford.

Make sure it is Buford City Schools (this is separate from the Gwinnett County School System).

Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I think Dacula would be a little too far away from everything. Both Suwanee and Buford are close to the Mall of Georgia and Discover Mills isn't too far away. The Ice Forum in nearby Duluth has two ice rinks and the Arena at Gwinnett Center is nearby as well. The ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators play there. The Gwinnett Braves play near the Mall of Georgia. It will basically come down to whether you want to be in Buford City Schools or Gwinnett County Schools. Buford schools are smaller than Gwinnett Schools but overall both districts get high test scores. For example, Buford high has a population of 780 and Peachtree Ridge (a school in Suwanee I would recommend) has a population of 3,118. Look around on greatschools.org to check out some test scores. Are your sons looking to play varsity sports? Because of Buford's school sizes, they play sports in the AA classification of GHSA while Peachtree Ridge plays in the AAAAA classification. The classifications are based on student population. The largest schools play in AAAAA while the smallest play in A. Go to ghsa.net to find out more. Generally, the best teams are in the largest classifications but of course there are exceptions. Basically, AAAAA schools (like Peachtree Ridge) offer the best competition but AA schools (like Buford) can offer more playing time. I don't know what size your sons' current school is so I'm not sure if they would be more comfortable in a larger school or a smaller school.

Hopefully I didn't give you too much information to digest. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
What I want to know is where the OP and spouse will be working? Gwinnett may be the wrong choice altogether if they're working in Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb, Henry, or even south Gwinnett counties.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennb_devon View Post
Moving to ATL this summer. We will be visiting at the end of April. We are an African American family. My children are into sports, taking guitar and drum lessons, and they also play sports (football/basketball). Which area do you think they would better fit in, Dacula, Buford or Suwanee? They are ages 16 and 14. Which area offers things that this age group would enjoy. Waterparks, bowling, skating rinks, neighborhoods with their age range would be a big plus. Also, are these areas known for gangs or gang related activity? PLEASE HELP!!! Any and all advise would be appreciated.
What you are looking for, with the exception of the water park, exists all over metro Atlanta. Do you have to live in the areas you're investigating? If your work will be in that area you are starting off on the right foot! Proximity to work definitely equals quality of life.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM

24 posts, read 53,095 times
Default why I chose those areas

Well they are the ones that I narrowed my search down to because I've heard that they are nice places to live. Most of the posts that I have read about either place say that. Is that wrong? I haven't heard really anyone on city data say anthing bad about either place. I haven't found a job just yet. I'm trying to find a descent place for my boys to live, and then I will find a job in that area. I'm a Registered nurse, so I'll be working at a hospital more than likely. I plan to buy. My price range is 150-200. I've also read on here that those places are not only nice, but affordable. So gang violence is high in those areas?! So what about Hamiliton Mills, the same there too? I visited Marietta a few times about some years ago. Didn't really like that area. Any and all advise are welcome. Please!! Will be visiting in April.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
jennb_devon, please, please, please, please don't move here until you have a job. Georgia has a 10.8% unemployment rate. You may be a RN but that does NOT guarantee you a job, especially here.

When you DO land a job that's when you can choose a place to live. The areas you're looking into are NOT the only nice parts of Atlanta. Atlanta has SEVERAL nice areas in the metro area, and in the city itself.

Gang crime tends to be gang on gang. I live in the city, admittedly in one of the nicer neighborhoods, but I have never had to deal with gang activity, though I've heard they're around.

However, I can't say this enough...DO NOT MOVE HERE UNTIL YOU HAVE A JOB.

If you do, you run the very real and scary and high risk of not finding one for a real long time.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I'm with pless- until you know which hospital you'll be working in, you're wasting your time focusing on only a few towns. What if you end up working at Kennestone Hospital in Marietta, or Northside Cherokee in Canton? Both of those are great facilities, but the commute from Gwinnett would be almost unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta