Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 21,381 times

Advertisements

I find it horrible that my 1st grader will have to sit on a bus for 40 minutes to get to school in East Cobb? I live on Long Island and her bus ride is less then 15 minutes. I feel so bad for her she is going to be miserable. Does anyone know why the bus would pick my kid up at 7:02 am in East Cobb if school does not start until 7:50 am? I wish I did not have to move, but my hubby is being relocated. I am not doing this by choice.

Do parents drive their elementary kids to school and if they do is the traffic bad just going 3 miles from your house. The posts I read about East Cobb traffic is scary. Is it really that bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
The bus ride is not 40 minutes long.

Many schools run "two loads." So, if your child is being picked up at 7:02am, it means that your neighborhood is probably a "first load" bus and will arrive at school early (I estimate 7:20-7:30am). However, your child will be on the first load to leave in the afternoon. After dropping your neighborhood's kids off at school, the bus probably has to go pick up another load of kids in another neighborhood and will drop them off at around 7:45/7:50am.

Also, many routes have been combined and many bus-stops eliminated in the past year due to budget cuts.

My niece also attends an East Cobb elementary school, and she is scheduled to be picked up at her bus-stop at approximately 7:04am! My sister-in-law instead drives her to another nearby bus-stop (a little too far for a kindergartener to walk to) on another bus route that comes much later. It is convenient due to the later time and the fact that my sister-in-law does not have to drive all the way to the school (saving on gas and not having to enter school traffic).

Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
The bus ride won't be that long. I drove a bus in this part of Cobb some years ago. What is probably the case is that an early pick up means your driver has a double Elementary route, picks up the longer route furthest away from the school first, has them delivered by 7:30 (when the doors open) then goes on a second route, probably a little shorter and closer to the school to have them delivered by 7:50.

It has been some years (early 90s) since I drove a bus but there were no elementary bus rides in the whole of east Cobb that lasted 45 minutes. Perhaps they have changed, but the elementary riders are the biggest block of students to move. Elementary schools have six grades (K-5) so double the grades of middle schools.... even though middle schools are larger. High Schools do have 4 grades, but by junior year, most kids have a car.

You can drive your child yourself of course, but bus transportation is MUCH safer for your child than you transporting them in your own vehicle, not to mention the reduction in local traffic of every mom having to drive their child to the school.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The bus ride won't be that long. I drove a bus in this part of Cobb some years ago. What is probably the case is that an early pick up means your driver has a double Elementary route, picks up the longer route furthest away from the school first, has them delivered by 7:30 (when the doors open) then goes on a second route, probably a little shorter and closer to the school to have them delivered by 7:50.

It has been some years (early 90s) since I drove a bus but there were no elementary bus rides in the whole of east Cobb that lasted 45 minutes. Perhaps they have changed, but the elementary riders are the biggest block of students to move. Elementary schools have six grades (K-5) so double the grades of middle schools.... even though middle schools are larger. High Schools do have 4 grades, but by junior year, most kids have a car.

You can drive your child yourself of course, but bus transportation is MUCH safer for your child than you transporting them in your own vehicle, not to mention the reduction in local traffic of every mom having to drive their child to the school.

Copycat!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM

LOL Aries, there we are thinking alike again...

Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Copycat!
But I am the bus driving expert for Cobb County on this site

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
But I am the bus driving expert for Cobb County on this site
True dat...but, I was nerdy little kid that knew about all of the different bus routes at my East Cobb elementary school!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Frankly, I am just happy we have bus service! In other states where we lived we had to pay for it. $90/year per student.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Frankly, I am just happy we have bus service! In other states where we lived we had to pay for it. $90/year per student.
True dat as well...I couldn't believe it when I found out that citizens had to pay for school bus service in Massachusetts.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
I second that it won't be that long either. Well not in E Cobb but N Fulton the schedules seem to be pretty much the same. Our bus comes at 7:00 and the late bell rings at 7:50. I can tell you that the bus gets to school by 7:30 at the latest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: