Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 27,414 times

Advertisements

How do East Cobb schools compare with in town private schools academically or otherwise? We have heard good things about Eastside/Dodgen/Walton and would love to hear about anyone's experience with these schools, most importantly the elementary schools.

What kinds of experiences have people had in East Cobb? Can anyone that has children that go to Eastside Elementary school comment on your experiences there? Any other comparable elementary schools in East Cobb that should be considered?

We have one child in private elementary school in town and are considering all the pros and cons of moving out to East Cobb.... Can anyone comment on if they have made this move and if it lived up to your expectations?

Thanks,
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Others can chime in with the comparison talk, but I just want to say...

It is important for you to understand that are dozens of elementary schools in East Cobb very similar to Eastside, and there are also several more "feeder paths" that are very similar to one you listed.

It would be wise to not just zero in on one school and one feeder pattern.

What else are you looking for in terms of housing and neighborhood (price range, commute-to-work, amenities, etc., etc...)?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Looking for a swim/tennis community in East Cobb more than likely... most likely a 4Bedroom/3 bath at a minimum up to 500K......Would love for it to be newer but the most important is to be in a good elementary school district with a good feeder pattern....academics are most important ... Commuting to perimeter area for work ...

I mentioned East Side Elementary as one that we have heard good things about but I cant really find any rankings for it compared to the other East Cobb schools...what are other comparable schools and neighborhoods that fit my criteria above?

Thanks ...

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM

229 posts, read 473,732 times
There was a thread that talked about feed patterns pretty extensively in the E Cobb area and it was recent too (within about a month). If I wasn't so lazy, I would use the search function for you but just search for "Walton Mt. Bethel Dodgen Murdock" and I am sure you will find it.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisATL View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Looking for a swim/tennis community in East Cobb more than likely... most likely a 4Bedroom/3 bath at a minimum up to 500K......Would love for it to be newer but the most important is to be in a good elementary school district with a good feeder pattern....academics are most important ... Commuting to perimeter area for work ...

I mentioned East Side Elementary as one that we have heard good things about but I cant really find any rankings for it compared to the other East Cobb schools...what are other comparable schools and neighborhoods that fit my criteria above?

Thanks ...

Comparable elementary schools to Eastside Elementary in East Cobb:

Mount Bethel*
Timber Ridge*
Sope Creek*
Eastvalley *
Tritt*
Murdock*
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Garrison Mill
Davis
Rocky Mount
Kincaid
Addison
Keheley
Nicholson
Blackwell
Chalker
and of course, Eastside* itself

The best part of East Cobb for commuting to the Perimeter Center Area would be most of the Walton High School District, the eastern-part of the Wheeler High School District, or the southern-part of the Pope High School District--a nice commute overall. The elementary schools above marked with an asterisk (*) are in the districts I just mentioned.

The rest of East Cobb would offer a decent commute to the Perimeter Center Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisATL View Post
Looking for a swim/tennis community in East Cobb more than likely... most likely a 4Bedroom/3 bath at a minimum up to 500K......Would love for it to be newer ...

Some neighborhoods that meet the criteria above...
Easthampton: Mount Bethel/Dodgen/Walton or Timber Ridge/Dodgen/Pope
Northampton: Mountain View/Simpson/Lassiter
...and many more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Anyone got thoughts on the part of the orig ques re East Cobb schools vs private intown? That is an interesting ques. Would love to know the answer.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Comparable elementary schools to Eastside Elementary in East Cobb:

Mount Bethel*
Timber Ridge*
Sope Creek*
Eastvalley *
Tritt*
Murdock*
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Garrison Mill
Davis
Rocky Mount
Kincaid
Addison
Keheley
Nicholson
Blackwell
Chalker
and of course, Eastside* itself

The best part of East Cobb for commuting to the Perimeter Center Area would be most of the Walton High School District, the eastern-part of the Wheeler High School District, or the southern-part of the Pope High School District--a nice commute overall. The elementary schools above marked with an asterisk (*) are in the districts I just mentioned.

The rest of East Cobb would offer a decent commute to the Perimeter Center Area.

Some neighborhoods that meet the criteria above...
Easthampton: Mount Bethel/Dodgen/Walton or Timber Ridge/Dodgen/Pope
Northampton: Mountain View/Simpson/Lassiter
...and many more!

Some more helpful information:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...Elementary.pdf

http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/CCSD_...terns_2012.pdf

Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM

I appreciate the comments do far but would love to hear from anyone that has experience at East side elementary school or anyone that can compare East Cobb Elementary schools to intown private schools academically and otherwise?

I cant imagine we are the only people that have and are considering the switch from intown to East Cobb and want to know a fair assessment of the difference between the private and public schools. And while it seems so far that there are many great elementary schools, there really has to be a ranking whether its subjective or objective...so, which schools are the best? And what makes them the best to you?

Any teacher comments are kindly appreciated as well who know and can talk to the differences in the private vs. public debate. I hear public schools spend lots of time on testing and "teaching to the test"... How true it that? How distracting is the testing?

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have....

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I don't have East Cobb public school experience, but I do have Sandy Springs public school compared to private school experience so I'll throw in my thoughts. As you know, all schools have good teachers and not-so-good teachers. This is true even for the best private schools.

I had one child go all the way through private school and the other switched to public school in middle school. The biggest difference was in the "extras". The private school offered more variety and quality of art classes and performing art opportunities. The class trips were more sophisticated (and $) and enriching. School events were more organized and polished. If these things are important to you - private schools may be a better choice.

My public school child was much more of a "self-starter". She found the classes she wanted to take, advocated for herself to get into them and then did the work and performed well. My private school son need more encouragement to push himself and would not have pushed through some of the barriers that my daughter faced.

My daughter never seemed to be held back by "teaching to the test" - this wasn't a focus or a distraction at all.

In general, there are some frills that I think that my daughter missed out on, but she benefited from her education and the sweat equity that she put in more than my son did.

Good Luck.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,775 times
How do they academically compare? I think roughly equivalent, when comparing apples to apples. How do they socially compare? There is the difference, and that is why people pay $$$ for private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: